cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

According to you: The essential road trip snacks

There are a lot of important decisions that have to be made when embarking on a road trip. The destination, route, vehicle, schedule, and passengers are all variables that can make the difference between a drive to remember and one you wish you could forget. Another important variable? Your choice(s) in snacks.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/driving/according-to-you-the-essential-road-trip-snacks/
91 REPLIES 91
Oldimpala
Detailer

Combos always seem to end up on our long trips.

Made with some sort of plastic cheese wedged into a pretzel, they provide some fuel when you're in parts with super-sketchy restaurant options or absolute nothingness.

Plus they don't leave a lot of debris in the car, even if you drop one they don't disintegrate under the seat/into the carpet.
neilternet
Pit Crew

I usually carry PayDay candy bars because they do not melt on my fingers and also dry roasted peanuts. I always have a microfiber towel handy if needed.
Cornbinder
Detailer

On a similar (yet upper Midwest regional) vein is my go-to: Pearson Salted Nut Rolls.
JBBearcat
Advanced Driver

A Minnesota friend always too a case to share with friends at the Scottsdale auctions.
Good stuff.
JohnstonMotors
New Driver

Don't forget the Slim Jims!
Tim
Technician

Take a rolling pin to a Slim Jim and you may never even want to look at one again! Warning: what comes out is putrid enough to gag a maggot.
eighthtry
Advanced Driver

Where is the fun if there is no mystery involved?

Great green globs of greasy, grimy gopher guts,
Marinated monkey meat.
Little dirty birdie feet.
Pounds and pounds of putrified porpoise puss......
And me without my spoon
Tinkerah
Engineer

My choice for guest columnist right there!
MrBill-1943
Advanced Driver

Have not heard that one for years, I will be singing it for days...in my head of course.
Rich8
Intermediate Driver

So......
Editor_Reid
New Driver

Don't overlook Scottish Game Hens, aka McNuggets.
sclin10
Instructor

I prefer chips and guacamole, washed down with a pitcher of margaritas. (kidding)
Firehawk2K2544
Intermediate Driver

Pretzel Nuggets, Good and Plenty, Hot Tamales (candy), Twizzler licorice.
Spice drops too, but I'll eat them til I am sick......
We make a lot of two day trips from TX to MI.
JBD
New Driver

Agree with several other posters, that favorite road snaks are Turkey Jerky and/or Combos.
Grabber
New Driver

Eat in my car and you will find yourself walking.
Stixx
Detailer

amen

3Deuces
Pit Crew

Hear, hear!
Doximan
Pit Crew

My favorite is a coffee and a fruit smoothie followed by the first IN and OUT burger I see.
OldFordMan
Advanced Driver

NOTHING in my old cars (limited even in the daily drivers) because ANY trace crumb of food stuff can give a small rodent the enticement to move in. And then there goes upholstery, wiring, etc.
Stop and snack while you stretch your legs!
Studenorton
Instructor

This is why genuine old Fords have all those crumb-drain holes in the floor.
Self-respecting rodents jump right out of them. (Both the '50 I came home from the hospital in, and the '48 F6 I later learned to drive on, featured an intimate view of the road without even looking through the windshield).
Huntz-Hall
Detailer

yup.
Tim
Technician

Chocolate is a bad idea. Sour candy, gummies or jelly beans are more heat tolerant than chocolate. Beef jerky is definitely #1. Those peanut butter-filled pretzel biscuits are great, too. Costco has a road trip-worthy 3+ lb. jar.
ZIP12007
New Driver

Yes, most important is hitting the road. Goldfish have always proved to be a reasonable snack. Another important to do, is stopping at a real restaurant for lunch,etc. Try a new place to eat. Take a break. The journey is as important as the destination.
JEL395
Intermediate Driver

spend a lot of time driving my girl friends 2019 Carrera Cab. After an especially long 4 hour stint behind the wheel, I purchased some provisions ( Chili Cheese frito's & full octane Coca cola ) at a gas stop for our final leg of the journey. Upon opening, almost made her puke, since then ( when driving her car ) I'm relegated to water & Clif Bar's only.
Rider79
Technician

I agree with her: the smell of chili is nasty, and in a closed car, it might put someone over the edge.
TikiBarJim
Pit Crew

We always take a batch of Purina Party Chex Mix, M&M's, sometimes Combos.
Kraftwerk
Pit Crew

I don't encourage snaking in my cars but sometimes it is unavoidable, I like to bring along a bag of baby carrots- they kind-of quench thirst, don't make annoying crumbs, aren't messy and considered healthy. If i forget to bring them, I will stop for a chocolate milk which travels well, or my other go-to is an ice cream sandwich, cheap & not difficult to manage.
db2sub1
Intermediate Driver

baby carrots & small celery sticks work for us...
Studenorton
Instructor

You're going to get rabbits in there! And if you think mice and squirrels are bad...
DavidHolzman
Advanced Driver

It turns out that baby carrots are not particularly healthy. Even regular carrots are not as healthy as I would have thought, although they're not bad. But if you want healthy, they're distinctly superior to baby carrots. (See: Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health, by Jo Robinson, for details on the health aspects of different fruits and vegetables, as well as a lot of history of human manipulation of types and varieties.)
db2sub1
Intermediate Driver

I read awhile back that baby carrots are rinsed in a chemical solution that is not healthy. We always wash them well before packing them for the road but also sometimes cut large carrots into snackable chunks. Healthy?? way better than M&Ms & Fritos. lol

DavidHolzman
Advanced Driver

It's true baby carrots way better than M&Ms and fritos. But definitely inferior to intact carrots.
The outer part of carrots that's tossed in producing baby carrots is "much more nutritious than the inner core that remains," according to Eating on the Wild Side, by Jo Robinson, a book that investigated the nutrition levels of fruits and vegetables. "The greatest concentration of nutrients is in the skin and the tissue right below it. This makes sense, because the outer layers of a plant are its first line of defense against UV rays, mold, grazing animals, insects, fungus, and disease. The more phytonutrients inthose outermost layers, the better it can defend itself. When you whittle away those outer layers, you remove one third of its phytonutrients."
Cutting large carrots into snackable chunks is much better provided you don't remove the outer layers.
TA76
Advanced Driver

It is kinda like the mileage my muscle car gets when I'm cruising. I really don't care.:)
Casey
Intermediate Driver

Is this the Hagerty site?
DavidHolzman
Advanced Driver

Would you put junk in your gas tank? I've long been religious about getting top tier gasoline for my car. I'm the same way about my body. I'm much more interested in preserving my ability to drive into my 80s and 90s than in eating junk food, or even good ice cream.
TA76
Advanced Driver

Add the jerky and you are all set!
Rider79
Technician

I don't understand the need to snack while eating. I take water, but usually only drink much of it if I am driving a convertible in the sun. It just makes more sense to stop and eat a light lunch, stretch the legs, and help avoid highway trance. And, that helps avoid crumbs in the car, as well as avoid adding a lot of unnecessary and generally unhealthy snack calories to my day.
db2sub1
Intermediate Driver

Your trips must be too short. Once underway, we're rolling & don't want to stop unless mother nature calls.
RW68RSConv
Detailer

My son played junior golf all over the country, LOTS of road trips so 7-8hr drives are nothing for us. BUT, it wasn't until he got his college scholarship when started traveling in style! Last year, we took money saved for college and bought an RV to follow him. Talk about reduction in 'mother nature' stops, passenger - walk back and go - no stopping, driver - any parking lot or exit ramp, quick stop and go -- its a beautiful thing! Plus, the variety and type of snacks has changed entirely!! Pizza Rolls, poppers, fresh microwave popcorn... you name it.
db2sub1
Intermediate Driver

We're with you RW68; funny thing, for the past thirty years we've had RVs. Nice ones. Expensive. Diesel pusher Country Coaches (Concept & Magna), Beaver Marquis, Damon Intruder, Class Bs (x2) & Cs (x2), but... the one we loved the most... the one we now miss the most... a three slide Host Everest truck camper on a 4wd diesel dually. Go anywhere, get away from the crowd, 63 gal fresh water, easy to maneuver. ...and it kept us away from the microwave while driving. lol  

Werblink
Pit Crew

We always have a 2 lb. container of Sam's Club cashews on hand along with homemade Chex Mix (made with Goldfish, Deluxe Nuts, M&M's, and whatever else is in the cupboard). Venison jerky comes out when we make the event we're going to.
cwp
Pit Crew

cheddar cheese pretzel combos for the win!
LamboEd
Detailer

NO food it any of my classics or exotics!!! Now if it is a rental, then its buffet time!!!
HotRodGTO
Intermediate Driver

A bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and a box of Ritz will get me there. NO food in my classics though!
Jimmyo
Intermediate Driver

What happened to apples and bananas?
mvillmer
Intermediate Driver

No the best flavor of Fritos is plain Barbeque. I actually found some at Target recently. 🙂
JBBearcat
Advanced Driver

Have to agree about Honey BBQ Fritos and M&Ms...(not together).
On a epic car tapering trip to a event at Indy I lived in the now sadly discontinued Tootsie Roll Pop Drops...basically small size suckers without the stick.

Save money by refilling your fountain drink cup and not buying bottles and cans. Other advantages are less waste but also you can mix your own...I like 70% caffeine free diet and 30% regular...though that can change during the course of the trip
WhatsNext
New Driver

No jerky? Peanut butter filled pretzels work too. When the kid were young, couldn't go wrong with Goldfish and chicken stars from Carl's Jr. (Hardees for you easterners).

Not a fan of the snack mixes and the chili cheese Fritos that seem popular. When the coating on those gets on your hands, it's probably worse than melted chocolate in your car.
garymagwood
Pit Crew

Hawkins Cheezies made in Belleville, Ontario... the primo cheezie made with real cheddar and not messy. Hard to find, though, so if you find some, stock up...