cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

A week in the life of a car-loving do-it-yourselfer | Hagerty Media

In my weekly stories, I usually focus on one car, one repair, or one theme. This week, however, I thought I'd show you what a fairly average week looks like for me. First, the daily driver: As I've said repeatedly, my 2003 E39-chassis 530i stick sport is the best daily driver I've ever owned.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/the-hack-mechanic/a-week-in-the-life-of-a-car-loving-do-it-you...
30 REPLIES 30
gpsuya
Intermediate Driver

You have to admire the honesty of the guy who owns the wheel straightening place. Definitely would be the place to go to if one needs his services.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

$35 including shipping? Wow. The last part I ordered from England cost 18 GBP (about $25) just for the Royal Mail charges.
Punk
Detailer

No doubt! Luckily a part that is common to a TR6 and others doesn't have to be ordered from the UK. There are a couple of different places in the states to get one.
denali94
Intermediate Driver

Or he could have called me and gotten one for cheap. Don't ask how I ended up with three after rebuilding the wife's TR6. Something about inventory control during the rebuild. Lists? I don't need no stinking list.
Aquadave
Intermediate Driver

It does my heart good to know that someone with as much experience as you have still has some of those little setbacks that I have when you're doing your car repairs. It's also good to know that there's someone besides me that tries to do repairs as cost effectively as possible and once in awhile end up spending more because, once again the best laid plans of mice and men sometimes go astray.
BossDriver
New Driver

Man, where did you get that wall art in the garage? I love it. Forbidden Planet is one of my favorites! I need that for my garage. Too cool.
thehackmechanic
Detailer

All three of my kids were in theater in high school, two of them heavily involved in stage crew. One of them was involved with a production of "Grease" which used these huge hand-painted canvas-on-wood-frame reproductions of vintage movie posters as part of the set. After the run of the show, when they were about to strike the set, I looked at the "Forbidden Planet" painting and said "I'd LOVE to have that in the garage," never thinking that they'd actually give it to me. My son said "Take it; it's just going to get trashed." It's HUGE. I have access to a pickup truck with a utility body on the back, and it was too big to fit through the door. I had to strap it to the roof and drive the two miles home very slowly.
SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

Forget the cars, I want that Forbidden Planet poster.
thehackmechanic
Detailer

See reply above.
Sk1959
Intermediate Driver

No American cars.
thehackmechanic
Detailer

I'm trying to correct that.
oldcars
Intermediate Driver

Do all these writers only own foreign cars?
thehackmechanic
Detailer

I'm trying to correct that. I wrote pieces last winter about getting bitten by a C3 Corvette and a lakester-inspired Track T hot rod. And I keep looking for a fully-loaded '63 Rambler Classic or Ambassador with a V8, factory air, and power everything. Or a well-priced Avanti.
Sajeev
Community Manager

@oldcars Not that it should matter, but I write here and I only own American cars.  And I am not alone, many of us own American Iron. 

thehackmechanic
Detailer

See my comment above.
MoparMarq
Detailer

It is very satisfying to get to mark niggling little projects that need doing off your to-do list. No one else will notice that they're done, but you can take pride in doing them and knowing they're done with care.

And, as Oldcars noted, what's with the writers and foreign cars? And in this case, all European, which virtually guarantees twice as much work and effort in keeping them running. Maybe that's intentional so they have plenty to write about...

Nevertheless, keep 'em coming Rob. Love hearing the (mis)adventures. And Zelda's wheels look great!
thehackmechanic
Detailer

Thanks. Regarding no American cars, see my comment above. And, yes, if all my cars needed nothing, I WOULD have nothing to write about, so I DO tend to buy hanging needy pieces of German junk (or, in the case of the Lotus, British junk). Hey, we love what we love.
LoudV8
Pit Crew

"...howl like Donald Sutherland does at the end of the remake of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" Man that was the best line in your article. Cracked me up!
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

Those hose clamps are a work of art, I can only image the $$$ cost of them! I once bought a set of wheels and took them immediately from the junkyard to have them mounted. The friend who was doing the mounting was astounded that I hadn't cleaned and refurbished them, but I wanted them on the car ASAP. Cleaning/etc. would commence immediately once I arrived home, LOL!! 🙂
ppointer
Intermediate Driver

Thank you for another fun article!
TonyT
Instructor

Mr. Siegel, may I suggest that you invest in some Permatex Right Stuff sealant? It works wonders on oil leaks and comes off when you need it to, unlike Yamabond or the dreaded Hondabond. I use a new version of Hylomar on rocker (some people call them "valve") covers that I also seal with silicone gaskets. And I'm curious if potential buyers of your cars are that concerned about "factory branded" hose clamps. If it runs and stops well and doesn't leak, would a particular hose clamp impact the sale price to a large degree? Just wondering...
thehackmechanic
Detailer

The Right Stuff is great for certain things, but it's a bit thick and it dries VERY quickly.
ozrod49
Pit Crew

Yeah, where can I score the 'Forbidden Planet' poster? And the article about cars is good too.
thehackmechanic
Detailer

See comment above.
SJ
Advanced Driver

Keep the Lotus, ditch the others for some Vintage American stuff. Just kidding(sort of), great articles.
thehackmechanic
Detailer

Thanks. See the comment above regarding the lack of vintage American iron.
OldRoad
Instructor

Nothing beats old FOMOCO hose clamps. You can use them over and over. Just loosen the squeeze screw and give it a tap with a little ball peen and it pops loose. They never leak. I've collected dozens of them over the years. The ones most difficult to find are the radiator hose sized clamps. Those became obsolete back in the 70s but the factory used the heater hose sizes through the 90s.
MATTMERICA
Instructor

I always read Rob's stuff in the Roundel magazine. Some how his thriftiness really came through in this article, love it. What a cool neighbor to have, I would just go over and mess with him about how those hose clamps are gonna blow up his deal lol
qualicas
Pit Crew

I have a whole collection of those BMW hose clamps. I liberate them from our local autowreckers. Usually if I have hose clamps and body screws they do not even charge for the stuff.
61Rampy
Advanced Driver

" I may have to go have a look at a car I don’t need just so I can drive the E39 somewhere." You do not NEED any of your cars. Should be rephrased as "look at a car I don't want". That way, you get to drive the BMW, and can, without guilt, say no to the car you looked at, then drive the BMW home. Then again, I DO need my Corvair Rampside...