cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

A vintage moped could be your perfect winter project | Hagerty Media

Dozens of hairpins dot the road that links Italy to France, via the Montgenèvre mountain pass. Every time I leaned my van into one, the faint smell of gasoline and oil permeated the cabin. I wasn't worried, though. There was no risk of fire or engine failure, because the scent came from the back of my van, not from under the hood.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/a-vintage-moped-could-be-your-perfect-winter-project/
3 REPLIES 3
olmon
New Driver

I have all the running gear for a Peugeot moped. It was a great runner. Then, when disassembled for restoration, the main frame was sent to California for some minor repair & powder-coating. The company 'Lost' it. Now I have the choice of either selling the parts or building a frame myself to fit the running gear to.
brb
Instructor

Back in the 1970's I was attending college in Cedar Rapids, IA and joyously tinkering with my first car, a $200 1965 Plymouth Valiant Signet(!). Moped's were popular with the younger (than me) set and it was common to see the future hell's angel's stop at gas pumps, empty the contents of the hose into the tank, and putter off for free.
Zephyr
Advanced Driver

For a short time mo-peds were very popular in California because they were classed as bicycles and therefore you didn't need a drivers license to operate one, which made them very popular with 15 year old high school freshmen. As soon as the state changed the law and required a drivers license the mo-ped dealers all went out of business within a couple of months.