cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

A Marine mechanic returns from "the sandbox" and brings his son into the '70s

“What's a kid like you doing with a car like this?” the truck driver inquired when I arrived to meet him. He was unloading a handful of cars from his flat-bed. On the hook sat a Ford Fusion with bullet holes in the passenger door, a tired Hyundai Sonata, and a 1971 Plymouth Satellite Station Wagon. Being on the far side of 30 I can tell you that I don’t mind the rare occasions when I’m called a kid. On the other hand, when it comes to cars I sometimes feel I was born too late, and that's the answer I gave.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/a-marine-mechanic-returns-from-the-sandbox-and-brings-his-son-i...

7 REPLIES 7
drjim
Detailer

Well done, and thank you for your service, Jake....

Semper Fi!

- Jim

MaineYankee
New Driver

Good going, Jake. Like you, since I was young I have favored things that no one else had. I turned 16 in the fall of 1966. That summer, though, while I was still 15, I spotted a car in the back lot at a Volkswagen dealership in Lima, Ohio, where we lived. It was a 1939 Chrysler. While my father chatted up a salesman about a used VW bus I was ogling the old New Yorker. Then I joined the men inside and asked about it. It was for sale, the price was $395, and it was in beautiful original condition. I had a job and I had the money. After letting my father show me a 1940 Packard in an old lady's garage that he knew about, priced at $800 (more than I had saved up), we returned to the dealer and bought the Chrysler. The rest of the story is at my blog site https://damnyankee.com/2017/02/07/johnny-monroes-junkyard/

MaineYankee
New Driver

Good going, Jake. Like you, since I was young I have favored things that no one else had. I turned 16 in the fall of 1966. That summer, though, while I was still 15, I spotted a car in the back lot at a Volkswagen dealership in Lima, Ohio, where we lived. It was a 1939 Chrysler. While my father chatted up a salesman about a used VW bus I was ogling the old New Yorker. Then I joined the men inside and asked about it. It was for sale, the price was $395, and it was in beautiful original condition. I had a job and I had the money. After letting my father show me a 1940 Packard in an old lady's garage that he knew about, priced at $800 (more than I had saved up), we returned to the dealer and bought the Chrysler. The rest of the story is at my blog site https://damnyankee.com/2017/02/07/johnny-monroes-junkyard/
21ministock
Passenger

Nice story Jake ! I know you have plenty more to tell of your life and travels. You done and accomplished a lot in just a few short years. Keep the passion and keep the stories coming !

CarCrazy63
New Driver

Very, very cool. And I'm a little bit jealous, as I don't have a sweet wagon like yours.

Have fun !

moparmike65
Passenger

That was my wagon, glad to see it went to a good home.

DUB6
Instructor

I have three sons and two daughters.  One son and one daughter enjoy and participate in the "old car" hobbies.  The others understand that I do, and support me, but don't really get "into" it.  It appears that your son will indeed be one who carries on with your passion and enjoyment in some form or another - who knows, maybe Teslas from "the '20s" will be his thing?  Whatever he takes up, you can be happy that you planted the seed.  Family enjoyment of automotive hobbies is a pretty good glue for lifetime bonding.