cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

A Japanese car will sell for $2 million, plus 4 more predictions for 2022

The past two years have been tough on folks who forecast for a living. Even if we'd predicted that a fast-mutating virus would infect hundreds of millions of people, we'd be hard pressed to foresee the ways it would impact everything from supply chains and government policy to personal spending habits.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/a-japanese-car-will-sell-for-2-million-plus-4-more-predi...
118 REPLIES 118
elldorado2000
Detailer

Here's my prediction. If you don't vote for the right people, it won't matter what cars are available. All gas cars will be legislated out of existence. Gas will become prohibitively expensive, parts will be hard to find, the EPA will make it darn near impossible to pass emissions. If you didn't have to pass emissions before, you might have too in the future. If you haven't seen what is going on this year, you are not paying close enough attention.
Ragster
Detailer

YOU are a 100% right.....!!
Retrorider
Pit Crew

Amen, I wish people would wake up to what's happening in our country.
Mercman5457
New Driver

A point well made. They will raise the price of fuel to the point where the collector car market as we know it will collapse. Caution is the word for any major purchase.
BillHanlon
Intermediate Driver

They (we) may legislate away gasoline as we know it, but todays gas at my corner station costs ($2.78), just about exactly what it was in 1962 when adjusted for inflation ($0.31).
BMD4800
Technician

$2.78?!

$4.299 for 91 octane moose pi$$ mixed with lousy ethanol out here.
BMD4800
Technician

It isn’t through the price, it is the TAXES.
Zoomer
Pit Crew

I'm going to push back here. The President loves cars. Horses are not illegal, just used less often. The govt. did not set the gas prices you see. Also, they have fallen. Bush had gas over $4. Parts for old cars are always hard to find. The EPA has exemptions for older cars. Lay off the FOX.
BillyBuick
Intermediate Driver

Gas prices skyrocketed when the prez shut down the pipeline. As Eldorado2000said...you are not paying close enough attention.
BMD4800
Technician

truth
TomE
Intermediate Driver

100%
TA76
Detailer

In fact they do set prices. When you cut production -which the government can directly do- you raise prices. You need to research why we had $4 gas before. Maybe if you watched FOX a little more you would understand. The exemptions are mostly state not EPA and EPA driven ones were forced on them. Today thanks the hobby parts for old cars mostly are not hard to find. And the President doesn't seem to know where he is at or that he is the President and not a Senator much of the time. JMHO
Forshage
New Driver

Besides the pipeline, he stopped exploration on federal land. And a lot of the drilling exploration companies haven't gotten very nervous about fracking. So much so that the rig count is as low as it has been years.
Thus the US has gone from exporter to importer.
Also - horses are only allowed on certain properties.
And Bush had a war or two to deal with, the prez has us out of Afghanistan (and by the way, I think getting out was good, just not the way he did it)
The Green Movement / Stop Global Warming Movement are a religion that many politicians use to gain support
BMD4800
Technician

Please stop with the facts. The ER is running out of brain-retaining helmets for the snowflakes.
1964tbird
Pit Crew

...lay off CNN too.
hyperv6
Racer

This is not Fox but SEMA. Read up on the RPM act and see how the EPA is running independently from the elected government. These are appointed people that are activist.

Joe or not the EPA is changing law with out due process. We should all be alarmed.
Oldroad1
Technician

That is the truth. The EPA is it's own government with it's own set of rules by laying down enviromental laws unlegislated and without congressional authority
for 50 + years. Forget Watergate, the EPA was by far the worst decision President Nixion ever made because of the uncontitutional operational bureaucratic guidelines.
BMD4800
Technician

President doesn’t “love cars”, he loves HIS car and the idea of them. And pudding, sniffing hair, and walking in a circle. He is 1 part of a 3 branch of Government. Congress is the issue.

Ride a horse to work then. I used to be into horses, you have to trailer them to trails where you are permitted to ride them.

Govt sets fuel and road taxes. They mandate blends and types. They don’t have price controls that is true, but Dodge is killing the Hemi cars because of the … (wait for it) … Govt.

Bush didn’t “have gas over $4”, there was a market bubble … much like we are in now.

The EPA doesn’t “exempt” old cars. They were built to meet a specific standard. Be it emissions, noise, or safety. The way they wrote the laws they are bound to that.

Lay off Fox? I’m pretty sure one could tell you to stop with the MSNBC…
Oldroad1
Technician

Yer comrade president shut down the Keystone XL Pipe line to spite Trump and that ignited, 1 High gas prices
2 Inflation
3 High shipping costs
4 Stocking shortages
5 Misery
Ya, Joe Biden did that!
TomE
Intermediate Driver

100%. All that's on him and his bloviating rhetoric about instant fixes for topics he knows absolutely nothing about. He spent 50 years feeding at the public trough, and his only "accomplishment" appears to be #5 above.
ragtop454ss
New Driver

Ok, here is MY prediction on this.  The President DOES have a gorgeous little '60 something Corvette convertible.  But, I don't think he is calling all the shots right now.  "They " have him preaching Covid constantly.  I don't even think the poor man knows what is even going on daily.  I actually feel sorry for him.  Anyway, I think eventually historical vehicles will have a tax levied on them OR gas will be taxed higher (like the gas guzzler tax) to make the EPA happy.  MEANWHILE, in other industrial countries their toxic outputs continue to damage our world in many ways and they aren't ABOUT to stop !  Just my opinion and prediction...  Enjoy your Classics, I sure do.

avideo
Detailer

I should also add that the brain dead empty suit in the White House just raised the MPG requirements for future vehicles by quite a bit.
renchero63
Pit Crew

So what? This isn't a forum for future cars.
mllniumjadeflcn
Pit Crew

There are several arrivals on this site about future cars…
hyperv6
Racer

No but we need to be attentive to what the EPA is plotting and doing as your old car may end up just being a yard ornament. 

These are the idiots banning gas blowers for Electrics that just do not do the job. 

BMD4800
Technician

Yup.

Cal your local electrician, have him complete a load study, and ask about the cost to add a charger for 2 BEVs. Remember, you’ll be charging them during the peak time. 5pm-9pm
uweschmidt
Advanced Driver

with rolling blackouts in many places already where willwe get enough coal to get all that juice to charge millions of electric cars every night?
renchero63
Pit Crew

I'll take an empty suit that owns and enjoys his 67 'Vette over an empty suit that drives nothing but a golf cart any day.
elldorado2000
Detailer

Biden golfs too.  Oh yea.... and he also flew Airforce 1 AND 2 to Glasgow for the climate conference.  Not to mention that hundreds of other countries and rich people that flew their jets there. Makes sense doesn't it?  Burn thousands of gallons jet fuel to take part in something that could have been done through video chat.  

My point is, our hobby is under serious attack.  

BillyBuick
Intermediate Driver

I agree with Eldorado2000.
I would also like to say that the politicians seem to be pro electric cars and anti gas powered vehicles.
If they get their way and the future is gas powered cars...how is the electric grid going to handle it? We complain about black outs now, what do you think will happen when there are hundreds of thousands of E cars plugged in at the same time????
BMD4800
Technician

Solar panels?

Windmills?

Embrace the suck.
BillyBuick
Intermediate Driver

The empty suit also has an empty head
BMD4800
Technician

And cut the g/mi emissions limits.

I hope you like turbo 3-cyl, front-drive nightmares.
teshephe
New Driver

Could not agree more and well stated!!!
dfayette
Pit Crew

Not sure I agree. Gas will be around for a long time, it's too important to the economy, both in the U.S. and Worldwide. We have the largest supply in the world still underground and the rest of the world will want it at some point.
Classic cars are not going away, the market is too big and both young and old like them and drive them. Current president has a classic Corvette, although he doesn't probably care what the price of gas is. And he can't drive anyway, so it just sits.
The only thing that will kill it is the negative attitude many people project. Those of us with cars are what keeps the hobby alive and well. If everyone would drive their cars they would see the love the world has for our cars.
elldorado2000
Detailer

I didn't say gas won't be around.  And you aren't paying attention to carb restrictions.  The diesel crowd is under SERIOUS attack right now.  In their case, they kind of brought it on themselves...rolling coal and all.  California outlawed all gas lawn equipment.  Cities across the country are banning new NG installations in homes.  In investing the trend is your friend.  There is a trend going on with IC cars.  To not pay attention to it, is to acquiesce to it.  

MidntPurpleRain
Detailer

@elldorado2000 and everyone else in this thread. Time to lay off the political banter and find a more constructive hobby. This comment has nothing to do with the article and serves no legitimate purpose than to fire people up. Neither side of the aisle knows how to respect each other and should treat the hobby as a means to come together for a common love instead of using it as an excuse to throw stones.

elldorado2000
Detailer

The article was about predictions for the car hobby in 2022.  Politics is a huge part of our hobby.  If you don't think politicians are coming for your ride, you're naive.  And I didn't say Democrat or Republican.  I said politicians.  

MidntPurpleRain
Detailer

@elldorado2000 politics will always have a part in every aspect of life. Look, I don’t care your political lean and I have a healthy distrust of all politicians regardless of party. But nobody is coming to take your car next year so I maintain it’s off topic. Like a lot of people these days, it is tiresome to listen to those who aren’t creative enough to discuss anything but politics. This applies to people complaining about the last administration and this one. And with that I’m going to sign off and enjoy the rest of my holiday.

BMD4800
Technician

Fine, we will tone it down.

But if you think no one is coming for the classics, you are SADLY mistaken.

Did you miss the CAFE bump, the tailpipe reductions?

PHx AZ non-attainment days are ALWAYS after either a severe dust storm or a major temperature inversion where localized use of fireplaces is high.

It is politics, you just don’t want to see the disturbing truth.
MidntPurpleRain
Detailer

@BMD4800 I hear you, and yes there is always that looming concern of global warming legislation affecting the hobby, but nobody in 2022 is going to come door to door asking for the keys to your collector car.

What I’m trying to get across is that this article has nothing to do with politics, so why does it need to be discussed. How about doing something useful with your time and outrage and join SEMA, lobby your local, state and federal representatives (respectfully mind you, because when was the last time you did something for someone because they were rude). Look, I share many of the concerns about the hobby from being able to use my car, find parts affordably, and how the volatility of members of our community driving young enthusiasts away. Spend some time on that last point. Do you think a budding enthusiast would want to join our hobby after reading all the above comments? Sounds like a bunch of old men complaining. I sure as heck wouldn’t.

So if you have concerns about the future of our hobby, do something about it rather than sit around and complain.

BMD4800
Technician

I go door to door before every primary, midterm, state, and national election.  

I volunteer, I’m an ambassador, I get the word out.   

but the only votes that matter are the ones that are counted.    

elldorado2000
Detailer

I totally disagree.  It's very much on topic.  Every year that you don't think they are coming for your car, I guarantee you they are coming for your car.  Piece by piece.  You might want to wait until next week, month, year, but Politicians are like rust, they never sleep.  Here you have a bunch of politicians that never did a burn out in their life determining whether you should have a loud exhaust or not.  And guess what they picked.  Governor Hochul Signs Legislation Cracking Down on Noisy, Illegal Mufflers and Exhaust Systems - You...

MidntPurpleRain
Detailer

@elldorado2000 If you really think the end is that near, you should take some time and look into regulations Australia, Germany, Japan, etc. have had on the books for years. In Australia there are regulations on how you can modify your car, rigorous engineering inspections before your highly modded cars can be allowed on the road pretty much everything has a catalytic convertor on it regardless of age anymore but somehow their hobby is surviving. In Germany the TUV has been restricting what can be done to cars even more, yet somehow their hobby is thriving. In Japan people mod their cars but they have TUV level inspection requirements. Their car culture isn't dead.

What I mean to say is nobody is going to take the keys to your classic by gunpoint and shoot your dog. This is the EPA and CARB, the ATF wouldn't like the competition! Like the joke? Bottom line, would these sorts of things suck here? Yup! Are they coming? Eventually. Will the hobby survive? Absolutely. The hobby is what you make of it and I contend that emissions from carbureted, non-catalytic converter having V8s make up so little pollution anymore in the grand scheme that going after them in the manner you say is just vindictive and unlikely to gather wide support outside of a state by state basis. It certainly isn't going to earn any votes, especially during a high stakes midterm election year. So as a 2022 prediction, you're still off topic. All I see is a lack of restraint to be able to talk about anything but politics. For the record, I'd scold you just as bad if you sat on the other side of the political spectrum. I cannot stand people interjecting their political opinions when it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Democrat or Republican lean doesn't matter. If the article was about pending legislation, I wouldn't be hounding you but it isn't, so here we are. 

Just to be clear, I will not be engaging with you further on this subject as any further discussion is just a waste of time and I will not be coming back to look for a response, so don't waste your time on a response because you'll get none from me.

elldorado2000
Detailer

"I contend that emissions from carbureted, non-catalytic converter having V8s make up so little pollution anymore in the grand scheme that going after them in the manner you say is just vindictive and unlikely to gather wide support outside of a state by state basis"

The same could be said for lawn equipment in California and yet there they are.  All their new equipment needs to be electric.  Meanwhile, 100's of ocean freighters are spewing a year's worth of emissions in just a couple weeks just sitting out there in the Pacific.  I could care less if you reply.  I stated my case.  You stated yours.  

BMD4800
Technician

It isn’t about emissions.   

it is freedom.   

electrics limit your freedom.  Period.  

renchero63
Pit Crew

The problem with your logic is that "the right people" in this instance are the same ones who would give over everything to big business/energy companies at the expense of the environment. More importantly, those same "right people" also happen to be the "Right people" who would slowly and insidiously remove any other protections that are meant for you and me. Don't be one of those people who are perfectly happy give up the rights and protections of everyone else so that they can enjoy whatever pet project they enjoy. Be it cars, or guns or anything else.
elldorado2000
Detailer

If you're old enough, you know not to put all your eggs in one basket.  We are watching in real time an entire car industry put all its eggs into the EV basket.   Never mind the mining environmental destruction/disaster, the load on the already over stressed electrical grid, poor recharge time, the inevitable piling up of old batteries (current battery recycling is around 10-20%) the consumer outcry when they have to spend $20k for a replacement battery or a resale close to zero on an 8 year old EV.  

Don't get me wrong, I've ridden in a Tesla and Chevy Volt and EV's will someday be an awesome ride, but the battery tech is not there yet.  The battery needs to be half the size, twice the capacity and charge in a minimum of 10 minutes.  

It's rare thing to watch a worldwide social experiment, but we are seeing it right now.