cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Corvette race against time

“My other car is a Corvette,” Larry told the girl as he opened the passenger door and ushered her inside. “Well, it’s on order, anyway.” Her response was a sustained giggle, followed by open laughter, and who could have blamed her? The old Datsun was clearly on its last legs, with a wooden 2x4 propping up a collapsed driver’s seatback. Larry was telling the truth, but there was no way to prove it; his order for a mahogany ‘76 would end up sitting at the factory for quite a while. “I wanted a four-speed manual,” he recalls, “and they were only shipping automatics.” After six months or so, his dealer called and told him his ship had come in. In the meantime, Larry had closed a very different sort of deal: that laughing girl in the passenger seat of a worn-out sedan had agreed to be his wife, modest personal transportation notwithstanding.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/a-corvette-race-against-time/

Replies (81)

Replies (81)

Well it must be raining in my office, as my eyes are wet.  

Pit Crew

I’m 73 and had Corvettes since I was 21. I currently own a  red 62, but that’s not why I am writing.  I share Larry’s love for Corvettes.  It’s kinda like the old saying ‘if I hafta explain, you wouldn’t understand’.  I am humbled & in awe with all the people who made this happen.  God bless them all for their love & compassion for making Larry’s dream come true.  And...God bless & keep you Larry & enjoy that beautiful C8.

Passenger

Larry here; To Jack Baruth at Hagerty, Tony Hull and Jim Frageau of Blasius Chevrolet-Cadillac in Waterbury, CT, thank you, thank you and thank you. After communicating with all those other dealers I never thought this would happen. You guys rocked my world and I will for ever be indebted to you all. This is truly a dream come true. The weather report sez clear skies and 80 this weekend---it's road trip time. 

Passenger

Thank you so much Hagerty for what you did for Larry. It is good people like you as well as those connected with Chevrolet and Reliable Transportation that makes this world a better place to live. 

Passenger

This was just fantastic. Wonderful story. 

Hagerty Employee

So awesome to see this come together!

Hagerty Employee

it truly warms my heart to hear how good people, can make a dying mans dream come true!.God Bless them....

Navigator

This story shares love from one car lover to another.  Here's hoping Larry has many, many opportunities to drive his beautiful Corvette!

Passenger

Awe great story so happy for him and all that helped God Bless

Navigator

What a heartwarming story! My faith in mankind has been restored. You guys and gals at Hagerty rate right behind those amazing folks who are on the front lines of the Covid-19 battle. Keep up the great work! PS... I love your magazine!

Passenger

That's a wonderful story. I hope he gets to enjoy it for a long time to come. I remember the joy of a new Corvette. I drove mine off of the showroom floor at Young Motors in Lyons ,Ks in sept 1979. A red with oyster interior ,4 speed with pace car spoilers. The cars is gone but I still have the window sticker,$ 13,662.00. Fast for it's day.

Passenger

Wonderfully touching story.

New Driver

I'm a car guy (52 owned at last count) and a three time cancer survivor.  I think I understand what a celebration of life and love this is for Larry and I congratulate him.  To hear what everyone did on behalf of him and his situation just confirms, to me, that there are still some really fine people out there.  Thanks

New Driver

Here's to hoping Larry has more time than expected to enjoy his new car. 

Hagerty Employee

There are a lot of great people in this world and it is great to see all the above step in to make one long time car enthusiast dream come true under these uncertain times. A big shout out to all involved.  Ted in Ontario,Canada

Passenger

I hope Larry has a chance to light up those big rear skins a time of two.

Pit Crew

Nice story!  Also nice that a local dealership was involved.  I have purchased at Blasius before, good dealership.

Passenger

Wow, great story, and great job by all involved, Chevy, Tony Hull, Jim Frageau at Blasius Chevrolet-Cadillac, Bob Sellers at Reliable Carriers - bravo!

Passenger

wow this is a most amazing thing! Im so happy and sad.

Man that is awesome. May God bless them both. 

Passenger

What a great story!

Passenger

Great gesture & article!

Passenger

People are inherently good. Car people are inherently awesome.

Passenger

What a great story. Makes me glad I’m a Hagerty customer👍

Passenger

A Hagerty Drivers Club member for a week and I'm iimpressed already . . . A ttruly engaging portayal of a heartwarming story.  

Passenger

Nice story in these trying time. Larry enjoy your new C8 !!

Passenger

Nice story in these trying time. Larry enjoy your new C8 !!

Passenger

I'm not crying, you're crying.

Good story, Viergang 😉

Passenger

What a great story!!!  Larry, my prayers are that you will enjoy your car with every precious day you are given.  Rain and All:)

Passenger

Amazing story.  My "fun car" is also a fast, red coupe.  I've often thought about what it would be like to still be driving it with my wife in 30-40+ years.  Thanks for the perspective, super happy for you Larry!!

Navigator