cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julie
Community Manager

A Corvette race against time

“My other car is a Corvette,” Larry told the girl as he opened the passenger door and ushered her inside. “Well, it’s on order, anyway.” Her response was a sustained giggle, followed by open laughter, and who could have blamed her? The old Datsun was clearly on its last legs, with a wooden 2x4 propping up a collapsed driver’s seatback. Larry was telling the truth, but there was no way to prove it; his order for a mahogany ‘76 would end up sitting at the factory for quite a while. “I wanted a four-speed manual,” he recalls, “and they were only shipping automatics.” After six months or so, his dealer called and told him his ship had come in. In the meantime, Larry had closed a very different sort of deal: that laughing girl in the passenger seat of a worn-out sedan had agreed to be his wife, modest personal transportation notwithstanding.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/people/a-corvette-race-against-time/

92 REPLIES 92
lweb19
Hagerty Employee

Hey share some pictures please of where you go! But mostly, enjoy yourself...
tigercat
Intermediate Driver

Larry whatever time you have left hope this car helps you live it to the fullest.

Always have a great time, your story is inspiring.

Tony-Hull
Passenger

Glad to help, Larry. Enjoy!

DLP
Pit Crew

Wonderful. Thank you Hagerty.

Anthony

We're lucky to read some uplifting news during these times. So happy for Larry and everyone involved. Bravo!

olesoc
Passenger

That's a wonderful story. I hope he gets to enjoy it for a long time to come. I remember the joy of a new Corvette. I drove mine off of the showroom floor at Young Motors in Lyons ,Ks in sept 1979. A red with oyster interior ,4 speed with pace car spoilers. The cars is gone but I still have the window sticker,$ 13,662.00. Fast for it's day.

drhino
Instructor

Wow. Just, wow. 

larry1947
Passenger

People are generally good - hearted, this article proves it. Thanks to all of you that made a dream come true..🙂

John18
Passenger

What a wonderful story. 

Johnny G. 

stickman88
Passenger

Amazing story, thanks for sharing

BobStrong
Passenger

What a heartwarming story! My faith in mankind has been restored. You guys and gals at Hagerty rate right behind those amazing folks who are on the front lines of the Covid-19 battle. Keep up the great work! PS... I love your magazine!

Turboseis
Navigator

Awe great story so happy for him and all that helped God Bless

impala409
Pit Crew

Sitting behind the wheel...Larry's smile is so wide his cheeks touch both mirrors!

MBMT66
Passenger

Such a "warm-heart-amazing-folks" story!  It made my heart smile.  🙂

MBMT66
Passenger

Such a "warm-heart-amazing-folks" story!  It made my heart smile.  🙂

Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

Bravo to Reliable and Hagarty!

Nice to hear this kinda stuff these days!

The-Firebird
New Driver

What a wonderful story. Haggerty, you are the best, and  Blasius Chevrolet-Cadillac

has been a fixture in our area for many years. This is a fine dealership.

Larry I hope you get more time, miracles do happen. And if I might say, this is a Miracle come true.

Ajakeski
Intermediate Driver

Spectacular. 

Wgrumbley
Passenger

This story has brought tears to my eyes.  I am 70 and have beaten cancer.  I am a corvette owner and this story hits home.  Enjoy your ride my friend.  God Bless You!!

beaisly
Passenger

Awesome story!! My favorite dreams are always wrapped in fiberglass.

Cudaguy
New Driver

Drive on Larry, Drive on...!

tigercat
Intermediate Driver

Nice picture of Larry standing in front of first love and new love.  The feeling must have been intense watching new one coming out of the trailer. Great job to Hagerty, Reliable, ACM and Don Wilson for doing this and putting on the final touches. These acts of car enthusiasm humanity will live on long after all of us are gone.

Sensai
Passenger

Well done Hagerty!!!

Chumley
Passenger

What a GREAT story ! Nice job you guys !

97Bonnevillebab
Passenger

This story shares love from one car lover to another.  Here's hoping Larry has many, many opportunities to drive his beautiful Corvette!

bonnevillebabe 97
Battle_Born
New Driver

Nicely done!!  Enjoy all that is left Larry

physiojoe
Navigator

Amazing story.  My "fun car" is also a fast, red coupe.  I've often thought about what it would be like to still be driving it with my wife in 30-40+ years.  Thanks for the perspective, super happy for you Larry!!

58Nettles
Passenger

What a great story!!!  Larry, my prayers are that you will enjoy your car with every precious day you are given.  Rain and All:)

CogitoErgoZoom
Passenger

I'm not crying, you're crying.

Good story, Viergang 😉

acmwtirri1962
Passenger

Nice story in these trying time. Larry enjoy your new C8 !!

acmwtirri1962
Passenger

Nice story in these trying time. Larry enjoy your new C8 !!

ESB19SS
Pit Crew

A Hagerty Drivers Club member for a week and I'm iimpressed already . . . A ttruly engaging portayal of a heartwarming story.  

Dhughes553
Passenger

What a great story. Makes me glad I’m a Hagerty customer👍

Coachpaul55
Passenger

People are inherently good. Car people are inherently awesome.

Zbubba
Passenger

Great gesture & article!

64Vette
Passenger

What a great story!

DKPermenter
Passenger

Man that is awesome. May God bless them both. 

Blackpanthers81
Pit Crew

wow this is a most amazing thing! Im so happy and sad.

loneranger
Navigator

it truly warms my heart to hear how good people, can make a dying mans dream come true!.God Bless them....

MGVetter
Passenger

What a wonderful story, I have owned Corvettes since 1976. My first Corvette was a 1976 Mahogany L82 four speed with black interior. I sold the car four years later and bought my first restoration project, which was a 67 427 convertible. There have been quite a few over the years and my last Corvette, a 1970 LT1 Convertible is in my garage today and some day will belong to my daughter Abby, who grew up riding in and driving my Corvettes. God Bless you Larry, and I hope that the good lord gives you more time than the doctors think to enjoy that beautiful C8!

spoom
Technician

Good on all ya! 🙂

klavaza
New Driver

A wonderful and moving story, an example of the love of a man for a brand and a type of car! Thanks for posting such inspiring story.
DawnXBrown
New Driver

Awesome story ! My Hubby has a 67 Chevelle he raced at Minnesota dragways. it hasn't moved since 79. It's white with red and blue pinstripes. I would LOVE if I could get some pictures from back then.