cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grace
Hagerty Employee

A charged debate: Battery maintenance tech explained

Batteries are something that most of us forget about until the moment our car won't start or when it suddenly collapses on the side of the road. Generally, that detachment is harmless; A well-functioning and regularly used electrical system will make maintaining a battery a set-it-and-forget-it proposition. However, most vintage and classic vehicles don't get the regular use your daily driver does.

Storage and limited use can be hard on a battery—or is it? There are plenty of myths surrounding proper battery care, so we will dive into the basic tech to help you decide the proper care and feeding regime in your particular situation.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/a-charged-debate-battery-maintenance-tech-explain...

1 REPLY 1
Spuds
Advanced Driver

I have a Lexus LS400 that can sit a few weeks at a time on occasion and that is a serious battery killer.I hardwired a quick connect to the front bumper and always keep it plugged into a battery tender smart charger.Im in about a whopping 100 bucks USD.Should really help a lot on charge/discharge cycles and hopefully extend battery life.So far I love it.

Now on my rarely driven 1967 jeepster I put a 10 watt solar cell on roof to a 20 dollar charge controller and then to battery.It is always at 12.8 volts.Again Im in about 100 bucks.I really love that setup too,a good battery isnt cheap.