cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

9 of our all-time favorite wagons

Station wagons are in many ways the unsung heroes of the automotive hobby. Vintage longroofs possess a unique, nostalgic appeal: You're far more likely to have grown up with a brick-shaped Volvo or lozenge-like Roadmaster in your family driveway than a Ferrari Daytona. Station wagons do "understated cool" superbly, but their ranks also include some truly exotic stuff, like Audi's absurd RS 6 Avant, headed to U.S. shores for the first time this year. No matter your budget, wagons are eminently practical and inclusive; you can pack in your family, friends, and even the dog if you don't care too much about the carpet.

From four figures to six, Hagerty's Brad Phillips and Colin Comer rounded up 9 of their favorite wagons for your enjoyment in a recent livestream. The theme was inspired by the Wagon Queen Family Truckster, Phillips says. And really, any list of longroofs that starts with that "damn fine automobile" is bound to impress.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/9-of-our-all-time-favorite-wagons/

132 REPLIES 132
Pit Crew

What? No room for the Vista Cruiser?

Passenger

Where's the 55, 56 and 57 Nomad?

New Driver

Love me a sport wagon!   We are just getting ready to let our 07 Audi S4 Avant (wagon) find a new forever home.  We greatly enjoyed the S4 V8 all wheel drive 6spd powertrain in a mid-size wagon, doesn't get much more exclusive and fun than that.  Well maybe that awesome 1 of 1 428 manual trans country squire but hey apples and oranges right?  Wonder what the family thought back in 67 when dad rolled in the driveway with that?! 

Passenger

What about the Chevy Nomad

Passenger

Roadmaster above a Nomad? Give me a break!

Intermediate Driver

Browsing this article, I came across the picture of the Country Squire that evoked an immediate memory of a horrible August trip from San Francisco area to Mexico back in 1965. Nine of us made the trek: Father, mother (six months pregnant), brother and two sisters, grandma, as well as the dog and the car HAD NO AIR CONDITIONING. It was the hottest, most miserable trip in the world. Why didn't we go to Lake Tahoe or maybe Montana instead? 

The Country Squire wagon was reliable and reasonably efficient for a family of eight and a big hairy dog.  

Pit Crew

We like station wagons and currently have two in the family, one BMW 328 xi and one 330 xi. Although the 330 wagon never came to N America we "hotrodded' a 325 and ended up with a wagon that surprises a lot of BMW "M" owners.

Pit Crew

The CTS-V Wagon deserves its own spot.  I would also add the Griswold Family Truckster.

Passenger

I’d add the Saab 9-3 Sportcombi wagon.   The 2007 Saab anniversary edition Aero is a wonderful driver and hauls lots of stuff!