cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

9 nameplates used across multiple marques | Hagerty Media

Even back in the good ol' days when a car's alphanumeric badging actually told your what was going on under the hood, we preferred when cars had actual names like El Dorado and Falcon. Style and soul are important, and a name is part of that identity.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/9-nameplates-used-across-multiple-marques/
127 REPLIES 127
DMG
Pit Crew

Alfa also used Spyder on its convertibles.
drhino
Instructor

“Spyder” is not a model name; it’s a body type— like sedan, coupe, etc.
rdarnitall
Pit Crew

OK, but I have never seen anyone put a "Sedan" emblem on the fender either unless it was the model name.

Monza Spyder.jpg

Olecarluvr
New Driver

So glad the "Super Duty" name that Ford laughingly uses on their pickups wasn't mentioned. There was only ONE Super Duty & it was all Pontiac !!
RedRyder_SFZ
Intermediate Driver

“Laughingly”...it was not funny when Gov’t Motors killed Pontiac. But when you’re defunct, you can’t own a trademark.
Pontiac “Was” indeed

rdarnitall
Pit Crew

And while I am on Corvairs, they also used the Monza name which became its own line for Chevrolet from '75-'80.
CentauroRider
Pit Crew

Dodge Phoenix, Pontiac Phoenix. 

MarcN
New Driver

Wolseley "Beetle" (1904), a racing car by Gordon Bennett of the UK. Note: the "Wolseley" brand name (dormant) is now owned by SAIC of China, a major joint venture partner of Volkswagen AG of Germany. Dr. Ferdinand Porsche, Sr. (1875-1951) began building his first Beetle prototypes in 1931, with the first official German government-sponsored car made in 1935 (chassis used in continuous production until 2003 in Puebla, Mexico). Brand new Beetles continue in limited production by two independent firms in southern Germany today - one in Bavaria (Memminger Feine Cabrios & Stahlbau GmbH in Reichertshofen, Bavaria) and a VW-sponsored firm in Baden-Württemberg (the Volkswagen electric e-Beetle made by e-Classics). The English language nickname "Beelte" was used by the public at least going back to the 1950s, but only appeared in official Volkswagen sales literature for the car in the 1969 model year.
bb67hd
Pit Crew

The Ford Motor Company Continental and the 1955 Porsche 356 Continental.
Porsche changed the name Plate to European in 1956 to please Ford motor Company.
I agree though GTO is the big one.
Studey4ever
New Driver

Humber Hawk/Studebaker Hawk, Edsel Bermuda/Willys Bermuda, Cadillac Seville/DeSoto Seville, Willys (Aero) Lark/Studebaker Lark, Lincoln Capri/Mercury Capri, Lincoln Premiere/Eagle Premiere, Renault Alpine/Sunbeam Alpine, Nissan Rogue/Rambler Rogue, Dacia Duster/Plymouth Duster, Dodge Aspen/Chrysler Aspen,
RallyeRalph
Intermediate Driver

Great idea for an article
How about Pontiac and Ferrari GTO.
Morgan Plus 4 and current Morgan-Hino (I don't think they will get confused)
Pontiac and Triumph Bonneville (bike)
And the winner for ubiquitous- GT used by upteen brands deservedly and not so.
RallyeRalph
Intermediate Driver

meant "umpteen"
Figuero
Intermediate Driver

Lincoln Capri / Mercury Capri
Packard Cavalier / Chevy Cavalier
Rambler Cross Country / Volvo Cross Country
Oldsmobile Fiesta / Ford Fiesta
farna
Detailer

You mentioned the Rambler/AMC Ambassador, but forgot the Nash Ambassador. The Nash/Rambler/AMC "Ambassador" is one of the longest running names continuously used by the same company. It started in 1927 with a specially trimmed four-door, five-passenger club sedan version of the "Nash Advanced Six". It was the top of the line Nash model from 1932 through the last Nash made in 1957. Nash and Hudson merged in 1954 forming AMC. The Rambler models were the hottest selling AMC, and AMC used "Rambler" as the car line name starting in 1958 after the Nash and Hudson nameplates were dropped. For 58 and 59 the Ambassador was soled almost as it's own nameplate, being billed as "Ambassador by Rambler" rather than "Rambler Ambassador", which it became in 1960. AMC started phasing out "Rambler" as the car line name in 1966, with the Ambassador sold as the "AMC Ambassador" with the Rambler nameplate removed. After 68 AMC replaced Rambler as the line name on all cars, with the Rambler name staying on only the smallest car -- reverting to a model name. The 69 Rambler American was renamed AMC Rambler.
farna
Detailer

The last AMC Ambassador was built in 1974. So the Ambassador name was used continuously for 47 years by (virtually) the same company.
ramblinrev
New Driver

How about "Cross Country"? Rambler's station wagon moniker, as well as Volvo's SUV?
Flashman
Instructor

Spirit or Shadow, what is it?
ramblinrev
New Driver

And did we get Hudson Hornet and AMC Hornet?
joepalmer
Pit Crew

Plymouth Suburban Station wagon and Chevrolet Suburban
joepalmer
Pit Crew

Cadillac Calais and Oldsmobile Calais
joepalmer
Pit Crew

Trident Clipper and Packard Clipper
joepalmer
Pit Crew

Buick Limited (1958) and Ford LTD
RevinK
New Driver

Lotus and Ford both had Elite's
The-Mayor
New Driver

1969 SC/Rambler the Rambler with a 390 V-8, 4 Speed for $2998.00. Only option available was a AM Radio. 1502 of these were built in 2 different paint schemes know as "A" & "B"

1981-1985 Jeep produced the Scrambler model, it was a "pick up" version of the CJ.
SummerlandTim
New Driver

Dodge/Hillman/Talbot Avenger
Vauxhall/Holden/Perodua Viva
Lincoln/Bentley Continental
Fiat/Ferrari Dino
Chevrolet/Ferrari Monza
Chrysler/Maserati Sebring
Buick/Toyota Century
VW/Ferrari California
JDull139
Pit Crew

Dodge Matador
AMC Matador
woodyambison
Pit Crew

Hey gang two things of note kind of interesting that alot of the failed/unusual models shown were Edsel's.
Secondarily I maybe crazy but most of the Edsel's pictured were pretty good looking.
OCULUSNY
Intermediate Driver

If you guys want to check with your brethren in the Hagerty Marine unit, they'll gladly explain to you my 1955 Chris-Craft Continental, or the sporty Capri, or the Century Coronado, and then later, there were others (Corvette, etc.) in finned fiberglass boats.
Throughout, I wondered if marine manufacturers had to seek a license to use those names on boats? Might make an interesting story for both Hagerty units.
DT
Detailer

WE don't need no stinkin boats 🙂
RichH
Detailer

One of my favorite bits of trivia: The passenger door of the Pacer is longer than the driver's door. - To make access to the rear seats easier.
The more you know.....
limoguy
Intermediate Driver

News I can use!
jrmedsel
Pit Crew

One more Edsel-related name:
Bermuda, the top-trim 1958 wagon (with "wood" trim), was also used on mid-50s Willys hardtops.
bobo
New Driver

What about Buick Lucerne vs. Monarch?or Mercury? Lucerne
TonyT
Instructor

GMC Sierra, Ford Cosworth Sierra RS, Pontiac Grand Prix Model J, Duesenberg Model J (DeLorean was rumored to have done that on purpose;) Mercury Capri, Lincoln Capri. The first Corvair was a 1953 Corvette styling study. And that wildly popular 2.2 Charger that still gives me nightmares.
Andy
Pit Crew

Daimler was forced to rename their "Dart" to "SP250" to avoid the wrath of Dodge.

Standard-Triumph produced a van and pickup called the Atlas, a name picked up recently by Volkswagen.
46HudsonPU
Pit Crew

Do the "GMC" and "Chevrolet" Suburban count? Then, 'Suburban' was also used by Plymouth too - LOL!

Russ917
New Driver

How about Banshee?
Used by Fiberfab in 1966 to build 12 kit cars- the name was changed to Carribee after Fiberfab sold the rights to the name to GM, then used on the Pontiac Banshee. In the 1970`s it was used by the French maker, Matra. I believe at least one other maker used the Banshee name.
Will
Intermediate Driver

Everybody knows the Dodge Durango, but the Ford Durango is rare. It was a Fairmont with the Ranchero treatment, but they called it a Durango.
tahend
Detailer

Like how Wayne's house is also Marty McFlies, not to mention the house next to it is John Connor's house with his foster parents in T2 Judgement Day.
MRM
Pit Crew

Chrysler used the Eagle name as a division from 1989 to 1998.  I had a 97 Vision Tsi - really liked that car, until it was totaled in a hit and run.

Larry3
Pit Crew

All are interesting but a couple more famous ones would be Mustang and Couger along with the Nova, I didn't know Edsel had so many differnet models. I did see someone listed a Citation Mustang?
Murrow
Pit Crew

Even taglines have done double duty, as both Chevrolet and Dodge used "An American Revolution."
Rider79
Instructor

I think the part about the Spirit R/T is confused; Shadow and Spirit seem to be used interchangeably.

I saw a Spirit R/T - once - on a new-car-dealer's used car lot in the mid-1990's; kinda wish I had bought it.
GrumpyOne
Pit Crew

So once again Hagerty's geniuses omit Studebaker!

1930's through 1954 - Land Cruiser

1959-64 - Champ

Mid 1960's - Daytona, Challenger
GKE
New Driver

Pontiac”Super Duty” was used of Catalinas with a souped up 421 V8 that won lots of NASCAR races but now is used of Ford trucks (hardly a race machine!). “The ultimate driving machine” was first used to describe a 67 GTO in a video ad. It was not a name designation & was not copyrighted. BMW later stole the phrase & copyrighted it for their cars.
race15
New Driver

Porsche 356 Continental (1955 only)
Lincoln Continental (1948 +)
Bentley Continental (1952 +)
RedRyder_SFZ
Intermediate Driver

Scout

International Harvester
Indian Motorcycles
Bertone780
Intermediate Driver

Austin 7, Lotus 7
DaveVan
Intermediate Driver

Concord/Concorde......yes they added an E and they did own the AMC trademarks at the time....
sytydave
Pit Crew

I know it is spelled differently Mercury Cyclone/GMC Syclone