cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

9 nameplates used across multiple marques | Hagerty Media

Even back in the good ol' days when a car's alphanumeric badging actually told your what was going on under the hood, we preferred when cars had actual names like El Dorado and Falcon. Style and soul are important, and a name is part of that identity.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/9-nameplates-used-across-multiple-marques/
127 REPLIES 127
Longbranch
Intermediate Driver

Plymouth Cambridge
Austin Cambridge

Plymouth is the reason why the Austin Cambridge was known also as the “Cambrian” when introduced to the US.

Longbranch
Intermediate Driver

May as well add some more:

Geo Metro
Austin/ MG Metro

Ford 500
Fiat 500
SJ
Instructor

It was a Nash/MG Metropolitan, not a Metro, my first car a 1955.
avideo
Intermediate Driver

You forgot "Stingray" which has been used on at least two Corvette models.
I_love_cars
New Driver

They are looking for shared nameplates across different marques (or brands).  Corvette is the same nameplate and brand. 

Rider79
Instructor

And used at least as famously on the ground-breaking Schwinn bicycles of the early1960's onward.
DT
Advanced Driver

Same String, Different YoYo
BPatLeMays
Intermediate Driver

And I always thought that saying was reserved for managers and directors..
SGL
Pit Crew

Suburban. It was a Plymouth station wagon (1949 and o ward) before it was a full-size GM SUV.

Even after GM started using the name, Plymouth kept on using it as a trim level of the Fury wagon.
Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

The first Chevrolet Carryall Suburban was a 1935 model.
BPatLeMays
Intermediate Driver

I was thinking the suburban was originally a body style, like a Victoria. The Vicky was a style a carriage used the the queen Victoria, and featured large windows in the back.
briksay
New Driver

1956 Ford Parklane - 2 Door Wagon with the Crown Vic trim.
1958-68 Mercury Parklane - Mercury's Flagship model.
Daytona06
New Driver

Plymouth Suburban, Chevrolet Suburban, as an example.
When I saw a Chevy Citation years ago, I never connected it to Edsel. Still love the Edsel, period.
WOJ
Intermediate Driver

Forgot the BIG ONE which was used by all 3 of the automakers....SUBURBAN....Used by FORD, DeSoto...remember the Cunningham's car in Happy Days....Plymouth...first used in 1949 for their ALL METAL station wagon...and of course...CHEVROLET which is still using it today. Now a little Paul Harvey flashback and the rest of the story...The reason that all 3 were able to use it was because the name was owned by the BRIGGS Body Company and all three companies had procured bodies from BRIGGS in the early years thus grandfathering in the name to be used in latter years...GOOD DAY
Conestogaman
Pit Crew

The first Chevrolet Carryall Suburban was a 1935 model.
Ron
New Driver

Starliner: Studebaker, then Ford
Sky Hawk: Studebaker/Buick
terryjudd
Intermediate Driver

As the owner of a 1964 Studebaker Daytona convertible, I get sick and tired having it called a Dodge. But that's not the only Studebaker name from the 1964 models to be recycled. Commander was later used by Jeep. Challenger of course has become synonymous with Dodge. From the '50s, the Studebaker Land Cruiser now is a Toyota. Studebaker Hawks were embraced by Buick. Although not a car, but certainly a form of transportation, the Studebaker Starliner has become the Boeing Starliner CST-100 space capsule.
CruiserGarrett
New Driver

Land Cruiser - Studebaker & Toyota
Ron
New Driver

Connestoga: This may be pushing it, but Studebaker horse drawn wagons, and Studebaker Station wagons in the 1950's
Conestogaman
Pit Crew

Gotta give you credit on this one!
timson
New Driver

Wow, lots of Edsels there!
What about nameplates shared between vehicle types?
Just thinking about the Cadillac/MotoGuzzi El Dorado (Guzzi also had an Ambassador. Oh, and a "Falcone")
Jeep/Norton Commando
Buick/Norton Electra
Pontiac/Triumph Bonneville
Mercury/Vincent Comet
C´mon folks, there must be more!
Bill929
New Driver

Don't forget the Pontiac and Moto Guzzi LeMans!  My (former bike) pictured here...  226FEC36-CEF7-409E-A2D6-4751A5036039.jpeg

MrKnowItAll
Detailer

That’s because Ford marketing studies had those 4 names at the top of the list to name the new car.
Instead, they chose Edsel, and put them on the different models.
Smithsonite
Intermediate Driver

Chevy Citation, Cessna Citation. Talk about a huge price difference ... 😄

This one happens to be a Citation Mustang. 🙂
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c3/Cessna_Citation_Mustang_N416CM.jpg
MJTVT
New Driver

Thanks for this! Here are some more:
Triumph/Ferrari/Dodge Daytona
Norton/Lincoln Navigator
Rudge/Aston Martin Ulster
Ducati/Chrysler Sebring
Velocette/Chrysler Group Valiant, Viper, and Venom
BSA/Pontiac Catalina
BSA/Triumph Spitfire
BSA/Hudson Hornet
BSA/Ford Thunderbolt
Triumph/Ford Thunderbird
rwfishermn47
New Driver

A lot of Edsel model names were re-used despite its failure and the car that re-used those names were not that much better! Perhaps the third time they are re-used will be be more successful.
DaveL
New Driver

1960 Dodge Matador and AMC Matador 1971-78.
Jaybone18944
New Driver

How about Lancer , Dart
Ajakeski
Intermediate Driver

Suburban....Everyone knows the GM one, how about all the Plymouth station wagons?
FlaminioBertoni
New Driver

Volkswagen ID.4 Citroen ID 19. Of course, I prefer the latter.
hyperv6
Gearhead

The real sin is when companies apply the same name to different models in the same line up at the same time.

Olds used Cutlass on a number of different models 3 at the same time. Cutlass, Supreme, Ciera and Calais.

Now Ford is using Mustang on two entirely different vehicles.

This is just pure laziness on the part of marketing.

Now recycled name by MFG later on is often due to ownership of the rights to the name. I suspect this is why Ford recycled the Edsel names.
Timbo
Intermediate Driver

How about LeBaron and Town and Country in the 90's at Chrysler?
limoguy
Intermediate Driver

As I recall, Oldsmobile became known as the Cutlass Division of GM.
slyfox58
New Driver

They did not use Dodge Diplomat's in the Blues Brothers movie, they were Dodge Royal Monaco's.
CountryEsq
New Driver

Uhhh.... GTO? You forgot a big one.
MGWrench
Pit Crew

I was wondering about that one, too! Pontiac stealing a Ferrari nameplate!
NMK
New Driver

Gran Turismo used by Studebaker, BMW, Maserati
sclin10
Detailer

I never realized how many Edsel model names were used for other makes! (So the Edsel lives on!)
chezchen
New Driver

Peugeot Eclipse, the first hardtop convertible. Mitsubishi Eclipse, many of which were soft-top convertibles.
hornetllw
New Driver

Jet. Muntz and Hudson. Hollywood . Graham and Hudson.
Dirk
New Driver

Calais, the entry level Caddy was used by Cadillac when names replaced numbers in the 1960’s and ‘70’s. The name was picked up by Oldsmobile to be used with its Cutlas model.
Dogbob1955
New Driver

You can add one more! Land Cruiser Studebaker used this name for their long wheelbase luxury model up till about 1955 or 56. I own a 1950 Land Cruiser. Now Toyota uses it on an SUV. Hardly anybody believes it when they see the Land Cruiser script on my car, unless they know Studebakers.
dsmythe
Pit Crew

Rambler Rouge, Nissan Rouge
Timbo
Intermediate Driver

It's Rogue; rouge is what women use on their cheeks.
OCULUSNY
Intermediate Driver

Or actually the river where Ford made millions.
dsmythe
Pit Crew

Sorry for the misspell, fat fingers!
rdarnitall
Pit Crew

Porsche and Corvair Spyder
JDull139
Pit Crew

Fiat 850 Spyder
rdarnitall
Pit Crew

Ferrari also used the Spyder and Corsa names which were both used on Corvairs