cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

9 flavors of prewar hot rod at Mecum's 2021 Indy sale | Hagerty Media

If you're in the market for a prewar hot rod, Mecum's Indianapolis auction running May 14-22 has something from just about every era you could desire. While the cars themselves were built before WWII, the different eras of customization really kicked off after the war.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/9-flavors-of-prewar-hot-rod-at-mecums-2021-indy-sale/
25 REPLIES 25
MickHannickle
Intermediate Driver

Four-valve pushrod Windsor; hadn't heard of that one. Any more information on that engine design?
OldRoad
Instructor

I've never heard of this 4 valve push rod concept either. With out knowing any of the engineering that went into this experimental engine I assume that there are 2 push rods per cylinder each pushing tandem rocker arms.
DMcC
Intermediate Driver

Two push rods makes sense to me - can't imagine adding more push rods, needs cam lobes, space through the block, etc.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

That's the way the Duramax V-8 diesel operates, with a single rocker operating twin valves.
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

Correct I think they maybe using the Ario heads of the 90's.
MrKnowItAll
Detailer

Pre-WW II, known as “Gow Jobs”. Hot Rod is a post war term.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

All of these are pre-war cars that represent post-war hot rods.
Jpdelpozo
Intermediate Driver

Hot rods are from the early times to 1948 -- - then they became "Street Rods" because they were more of the more modern look and that started in 1949 to the era of the factory muscle cars of the 1960's. So say around 1962 it became the muscle car era the lead up to a whole bunch of name changes like "Pro Street', "Pro Stock", then to what we in the 1960's called "Beaters"! Those were cars that were gotten for cheap, made to run and no one cared if they had side glass or even upholstery! As long as they ran and got one from point A to point B. Ahhh yes, those were the cars of many colors and patina because we couldn't afford paint jobs! Actually the 1960's was a great time to be a hotrodder!
Ragster
Intermediate Driver

I would LOVE to park them all in my garage.......... each one is beautiful in their own right & merit !
BillHanlon
Intermediate Driver

KusheNberry, not Kusheberry.
Sajeev
Community Manager

Thanks for this, we are making the change now! 

73Corvette
New Driver

I really do enjoy these articles, but I've never been inspired enough to comment. However, this time I just can't help myself; that 1930 Ford Model A Coupe may be the best/baddest car I've ever seen. That thing is simply outstanding. I can't take my eyes off it!!
merlebalke
Detailer

The El Matador is the cream of this crop.
Mountaindriver
Pit Crew

Talkin' about "Pre-War" almost always makes me ask "Which War?"
There have been so many. There will be so many more.
DT
Advanced Driver

WW2 and the next one may well be the last one !!!
SuperDeLuxe
Advanced Driver

Andy Southard and Tony Thacker's excellent book "Custom Cars of the 1950s" has some great photos of El Matador. I have long been fascinated with the kind of effort these folks put into cars back then. I can't imagine anyone doing the same today with a 20 year old Taurus or Impala.
DT
Advanced Driver

El Matador was one of my top 5 favorites when I was a boy in the early 60's. I think I had a model car kit of it ?
64jeepsrt
Intermediate Driver

a little tough to do with the "jelly Bean" era cars... lol
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

Nothing turns me off quicker than an article about a beautiful FORD with a Chevy motor. Are there any beautiful old Chevy's to put their motors in or, is it the only car worth while is an old FORD.
mwmyers91
Detailer

Simply awesome
rokky
Intermediate Driver

Nothing matches the sound of a flathead.
SJ
Instructor

Its bad enough the LS/LT in so many non Chevy GM Vehicles, putting them in any Ford is so lame. Just lazy or no imagination I guess. And no I don't like Ford's in Chevies either. How about a KIA Engine in '67 Corvette, no different in my book.
Wrongarm
Pit Crew

How about a 1942 Plymouth P14 Deluxe Business Coupe? I have one converted to a hot rod, believe these are pretty rare. From info I’ve found, only around 7,500 were produced before WW2 stopped production. Basically same body carried thru 1948, but 42’s are rare!
BWeston
Intermediate Driver

I always hate seeing a Chevy engine - or Chevy crate engine - in an old Ford hot rod...boring, no imagination! Always more interesting to see a built Ford flathead V8 - or other 1950's V8 engines that are built-up...early Mopar hemi, Buick nailhead, Olds Rocket, etc. While I'm at it on hot rods - also really disappointing when you see a nicely done hot rod, then look at the interior and see it upholstered in "burlap" - cheap looking synthetic tweed material...to me, leather looks the best in these rods!
Charlie
Intermediate Driver

Great to see more old iron like these. I had a real steel black 5 window Deuce, full fendered coupe
with split wishbone front end, juice brakes and a 1956 Olds backed by a 1937 Cad-La Salle 3 speed.
Ran this on the street for a year, the dropped my buddie's 396 c.i. bored and stroked Olds with 4 Stromberg 48's in it tp run A/Gas at the drags. Kept the Cad- La Salle box, but built a homemade quick change rearend from plans in an article from Hot Rod mag. This combo worked real good and we won a lot of rces with it. The best time of my life.