cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

8 trucks that deserve another shot | Hagerty Media

A year ago, we looked at some vehicles that had ambitious goals and yet fell short in one way or another. We argued that those four vehicles deserved another chance. Now, let's focus on pickups that also meet those criteria.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/opinion/8-trucks-that-deserve-another-shot/
89 REPLIES 89
crm114
Pit Crew

A new Baja based on the much larger current Outback would be a very compelling small truck.
Grace
Hagerty Employee

totally agree. the drivability of a wagon but with some open-bed cargo capacity and a generous dose of good-weird.
DMcC
Intermediate Driver

Me too. I have long held that an Outback or similar size small truck is sadly missing form our pickup selections. The VW pickup of years back filled that space but, gone.
geozinger
Detailer

I loved the idea of the Avalanche, but I never had a true need for a truck that size for my daily life. I'd hoped for a smaller Avalanche, but the contemporary S-10/15s were too small, IMO. Now, an Avalanche-style truck based on the Colorado/Canyon might be a possibility. Crank up the power with Special Vehicle Engineering's supercharged V6 and that would be a fun ride!
Darold
Hagerty Employee

If GM were to revive the Syclone name, I would much rather see it on the smaller Canyon chassis, to stay a little closer to the originals roots. Use the 3.0TT or 3.6TT Cadillac V6 for 450-500hp and keep it AWD. 

iamwho2k
Pit Crew

An electric-powered Lightning is so obvious that if Ford isn't thinking about it someone needs to stick the corporate whatever into an AC outlet.
Jost
Intermediate Driver

Ford will probably name it the: f- mustang
iamwho2k
Pit Crew

I'm in product planning, not marketing 🙂
SS195
Pit Crew

A 2-door Tahoe deserves serious consideration. Call it K5 or whatever but GM needs to take a look at the current values of 88-99 2-doors vs. 4-doors. Clean unmolested ones are fetching $20,000+ which is 10x that of 4 door. Its immediately obvious there is a market.
WAB
Intermediate Driver

I will take one please..........make it a Z71 that the top is removable on.....like the early 70's K Blazer.....
K5
New Driver

Hence the reason I still have and use my 84 K5 since there's been no good replacement. Which by the way the top comes off.
B_Quinn66
New Driver

Talking trucks that should come back, how about the '08-'10 Ford SportTrac Adrenalin. I have an '08 with 252,000 km's and still looks and runs like new, great truck will never part with it. Had I known Ford was going to discontinue this in 2010 I would have bought one and given the '08 to my wife !
Pwilberg
New Driver

Love my 2013 Avalanche. I use it all the time and with 256k on it, I hate to think of going to something else.

Bring it back? Absolutely
Stan65
Pit Crew

Correct, I'm driving my third one now, 2013 model. Since their small crossovers aren't selling, the bean counters should rethink (if that's possible) their strategy and bring it back.
WAB
Intermediate Driver

I have had 2 Avalanches and they are the most versatile vehicle for applications that people never think of.........the most recent one was a 2013 that I put about 60,000 miles on and had so many people asking to buy it I finally let it go to a good friend....he loves it. Only reason I got rid of it was that I needed a 2500 to use with a goose neck.......the first one I had was a 2500......rare bird....would pull anything you hooked it to.
Knine9
New Driver

How about International Harvester’s Travelette. If I’m not mistaken they were the first with a four door pickup. They were ahead of the time in many ways.
46HudsonPU
Pit Crew

Jeep was not mentioned, however with somewhat of a good reason - the 'Jeep' truck already entered the market. Well, maybe.. (A matter of opinion).
I looked at the prototype (2 door), and was somewhat interested. Poof!?! It became a four-door SUV with a short (60") bed, no option for a 2-door cab, and no option for a longer (6' - 8') bed? The result looks more like a regular Jeep, which has had a short bed added onto it..
Guess there isn't much of a marked for a 2-door vehicle with an 8-foot bed (or even a 6-foot 'short bed', for that matter)..

Studenorton
Advanced Driver

I was in the market, the year the Avalanche came out, and ended up with a one-ton because there were NO 2-door pickup trucks available at dealerships. Just this year I have started to see a few new ones around, and assumed it was because big company fleet sales had "picked up." I agree, Jeep has missed a market segment here -- but all the others are busily ignoring it too.
MikeMopar
New Driver

Having owned a Dakota in the past I was pleased to see it's possible resurrection, however it appears to be not much more than a Honda Ridgeline. Maybe an extended cab version with a longer bed and 5 or 6 thousand lbs of towing capacity then I could be convinced to downsize my TT and let go of my 2500.
F360Spider
Detailer

Trucks for the common folk are silly and impractical. Why are they so freakin popular?

BossGreg
Intermediate Driver

I heard something about them being the only way to get a large luxury vehicle that doesn't have the same emission regulations of a sedan.
BMD4800
Instructor

Minivans with a decent sized folding camper, 2 adults, 3 kids, a ton of camping gear, are over the GCWR limit.
Most midsized SUVs, ditto.
So, Mom’s family car requires a pickup or large SUV for those outings. I guess we could stay home, or drive to a hotel, but for now we have freedom to travel.
We’re all car enthusiasts and hobbyists here, got a car trailer, and a car you may haul around from time to time? Ever tow too much trailer with not enough vehicle? Tons of injury attorneys salivating over your overzealous trust in the towing abilities of a car-based SUV.
BMD4800
Instructor

“Trucks for the common folk are silly and impractical.”

Okay, I’ll bite, on what criteria do you base “common folk” and “impractical”?

I’d dare say a 4 door short bed truck, mid or full sized, is infinitely more practical than any sports car for the majority of common folk. You know, married, kids, job, home, etc.

Now, say a single person who lives in an apartment in a large metro area? Probably everything is impractical.

But, what about that F360 spider, is it ever practical? Fun, exciting, enjoyable? Absolutely. Practical? No.

“Why are they so freakin popular?”

Maybe the “common folk” find them to be quite practical and best suited for their needs.
petersalt
Intermediate Driver

Think that was (MAYBE) a joke .. sarcasm???
hyperv6
Technician

Not sure what happened to the Avalanche but GM had a reason to stop making it. I suspect it. Was not a cheap truck to build vs a more popular crew cab. 

I am a GMC guy and loved the Syclone. But what many forget is very few were sold and likely little money was made due to the expense and high cost to build in low volume. 

The Fiat based trucks were of no interest. Anything FWD base as a truck is a gamble outside the Brat. 

The RT never set the world on fire and the Lighting was a great truck but sales were not spectacular and Ford needs income. 

Ranchero or even an El Camino would be a limited interest item today. I love them but low volumes today are difficult to justify today at low cost. 

Stan65
Pit Crew

I do not know about it being too expensive to build . There were never any available to buy and dealers had a difficult time doing a dealer trade. Try to find a used one for sale.
Duramaxriley
Pit Crew

Th Avalanche/Escalade EXT wer the victims of C.A.F.E. and nothing else. Everyone that had one would jump at the chance buy a new one. My wife at the top of the list. After the first year bugs, I never had a problem with the midgate. I had one of the very first ones, and it did need to be adjusted at delivery but fine after that
Islander
Intermediate Driver

I've driven pickups a good part of my life. 'Never had a need for more than 2 doors and preferred the shorter wheelbase units for maneuverability.
A favorite was a plain-Jane '68 El Camino, 3 on the tree. 'Got plenty of use from that one.
I'd like to see a new version of that one.
Islander
Intermediate Driver

The El Camino used the Malibu platform. I was just looking at the current version, might be possible - not sure how much bed there'd be, but still usable.

90% of the time, riding in those several pickups, it was just me and some gear, on occasion a hound at shotgun. The other 10%, another person, rarely 2 other people, any more and I'd use a car, sedan or wagon.

A 4-door pickup just does not look right and seems a waste of potential cargo space.
50s60s70s
Pit Crew

First off, I am of the opinion that anything with 4 doors is a passenger CAR just because it has something in the back that they didn't put a trunk lid on doesn't make it a truck. A trunk has 2 (Two) doors a minimum of a 4×6 foot bed with the tailgate up. I have three Rancheros, great utes, but not considered a truck. Not totally convinced that a Lighting or Ram SRT should be considered trucks as well they are only slightly more useful than my 71 Ranchero GT factory equipped with a 429CJ. As for the brat not a truck, again great utility vehicle or toy. And PLEASE DON'T introduce a four door Ranchero or Camino. Almost as brilliant as a MACH E "mustang". Just saying. But, each to their own.....
BMD4800
Instructor

I too used to haul all manner of building supplies, car parts, you name it, in the ‘84 ElCo, and as great as it was as a parts hauler, it was still a mid-sized car and not up to towing more than 5000 lbs.

I got a full sized GM wagon and did the same, it got a little spooky with a 6,000 lbs trailer.

Finally gave up and got a C6P pkg GMC 2500 with a 454 and 4L80E. Never had a problem towing again. Regrettably, CAFE killed most of the utility in cars and car based crossovers.
RedRyder_SFZ
Intermediate Driver

Two words:
Lincoln Blackwood

...and if you’re going to go the Bronco route, bring back the International Scout while you’re at it.
hunter4masonry
New Driver

The Avalanche never hit the mark like the Honda Ridgeline did and continues to . The over abundance of plastic panels and stance hurt it INHO. I have had both . The V-8 was the only thing i loved on the Avalanche. My Honda rides like a MDX , has good power and works like a swiss knife.
BMD4800
Instructor

+1 on the garbage Avy plastics. Fade with time, got brittle in the sun, trucks look terrible when it falls off. They made a few without cladding and Suburban doors/fender/quarters, but too little too late.

My BIL has a Ridgeline, he loves it. For the majority of very light duty he uses it, it works perfectly. It’s kind of a dog towing in the mountains, but really his only complaint is that and it easily gets stuck (due to tires and clearance) in muddy fields during duck season.

For the majority of urban truck owners, one could probably utilize a Ridgeline type truck more effectively. But, they just don’t sell very well.
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

The entire 2nd generation Avalanche was made without cladding.
Duramaxriley
Pit Crew

And half of the first
BMD4800
Instructor

3/4 tons too?   
Only ever seen them with the Tupperware.   

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

The Avalanche outsold the Ridgeline in every year they were both available but 2013 when the Ridgeline squeaked by.
Duramaxriley
Pit Crew

Everyone I know that's had a Ridgeline thinks it is a good idea that misses the mark. No midgets, no power, and no load capacity. I still see more Avalanches and EXTs than Ridgelines
georgeh
Pit Crew

Just tell Subaru about the Studebaker wagon with the sliding cargo roof. Problem solved.
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

Subaru offers the "Hill Holder" clutch and brake option that Studebaker once had. After several friendly accusations in the SDC magazine, a designer at Subaru fessed up. Subie has Studie's book of tricks. You might watch for a "Coupe Express" over there too!
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

GMC's Envoy XUV had a rear sliding roof too.
61Rampy
Detailer

True, but not done anywhere as well (appearance-wise) as the Wagonaire. Studebaker's problem was water sealing.

TimK
Detailer

I'm a Ford guy but that 4 door Bronco is butt ugly. Looks like a Hummer wannabe. I think Jeep has one just as ugly so if Ford is trying to compete in the ugly department they are succeeding. Regarding remake of the Ranchero, what they need to do is make a US version of the Australian Ford Falcon Ute in the US. That is one good looking car/truck and very versatile with different cargo bodies available. .
warrene
Intermediate Driver

I don't care cor any of them really, I don't drive anything with a computer, this means I do any 'fixing' needed, also means it can be fixed and for little cost, also means it can be fixed on the road if need be. Progress is wonderful, until it breaks down.
warrene
241Hemi
Pit Crew

The only problem is anything old enough to NOT have a computer is old enough that the required parts for a breakdown are no longer stocked by most local auto parts suppliers and the ones in the wrecking yards have all been crushed. I replaced my '73 Ambassador with a computerized Aerostar back in 1990 because I couldn't afford to be stuck roadside for a week waiting for replacement parts - and that was THIRTY ONE YEARS AGO!!!

I now drive a 25 year old Ford Ranger that also has a computer or two - and even parts for IT are getting to be "special order" or "dealer obsolete".
MrKnowItAll
Detailer

As an AMC owner, I understand...BUT-
Buy any old Chevy or GMC pickup and virtually everything is available.
I’ve got a 70’s GMC longbed and parts are no problem. It’s a truck, used as a truck.
shoulderboards
Intermediate Driver

For several years Jeep brought a dark green prototype 2DR extended cab Wrangler-based pickup to the Easter Jeep gathering in Moab. This was the teaser to garner interest in what would become the Gladiator. Jeep’s big mistake was not building the 2DR extended cab model with a usable 6 foot bed alongside the 4DR
version with its virtually useless stub bed.
I personally know of several sales that Jeep lost to the Chevy Colorado that would have gone to Jeep had the Gladiator been offered in the 2DR extended cab as they brought to Moab.
AK_Driver
New Driver

I'd like to see the Quad cab return. I bought the last Dodge made in 2002, a 2500 4WD, and vowed to never buy an ugly 4-door truck. So far, it has kept me out of the market for a new truck. I'd trade the extra cab for bed space any day, but like the protected area behind the driver. Now, this article sounds like the manufacturer's have eliminated the true 2-door truck.