cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8 no-reserve collector cars on the eBay menu this week

Some of us have our dream classic nailed down to the year, make, model, and paint code. Others, perhaps, prefer to trawl the back pages of Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for inspiration, trusting that a quirky fender cut or charming rust bucket will catch their eye. Whichever camp you belong to, we’ve already got you covered with some online buying tips. For today, however, we decided to make life even easier on our fellow eBay scanners by selecting eight no-reserve classics up for grabs this week (all recorded in ET). They run the gamut from prewar to mid-2000s, from tattered barn find to show-car stunner, from tossable coupe to trusty pickup. Take a gander—and if you’re the winning bidder, drop us a comment so we can celebrate with you!

Read the full list on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/8-no-reserve-collector-cars-on-the-ebay-menu-this-w...

Replies (16)

Replies (16)

I apologize in advance, but I'm going to be the skunk at the garden party today.  That's because I have some complaints about eBay.  I have purchased a car and a motorcycle thru eBay, along with a bunch of other stuff.  Most of the time, things go OK, but sometimes they don't.

A few years ago, I purchased an E30 BMW from a high volume eBay seller/dealer in Miami.  The dealer had lots of positive feedback and very little negative feedback from buyers, which meant a lot to me.  The seller presented the car as "turnkey perfect" and the pictures and descriptions all stressed the quality condition of the car.  I called the seller and spoke with him a couple of times and he reassured me that I would love the car.

But when it arrived, the car was nothing like described.  In fact, it wasn't driveable and wouldn't pass inspection in my state without major work.  I complained to the dealer and he dropped out of sight on me, refusing to respond to my calls and emails.  So, I started to leave Negative feedback on the eBay website.  An eBay message popped up urging me not to leave negative feedback and urging me to negotiate with the seller.  I made numerous attempts to do just that with no response from the seller.  Finally, I received an email from the seller asking me what I wanted.  The car had traveled over 1,000 miles to reach me, so returning it wasn't a good option.   I requested a partial refund and the seller dropped out of sight again. 

After a few more weeks, I decided to write off the loss and leave negative feedback and move on.  Shortly after that, I received a message from eBay that my feedback had been deleted and that I had committed "extortion" against the seller.  In fact, this dishonest seller knew how to game the system and baited me into a situation where my feedback would be deleted. 

With eBay, there is no way to renegotiate.  They made no effort to hear my side of the story.  Their decision was final and their high volume seller was protected from a negative comment. 

Buying cars from on-line auctions is what everyone is doing these days.  We should never be surprised when the car or motorcycle shows up in worse condition than described.  But eBay isn't a trust worthy selling agent.  You the retail buyer have no protection on eBay when the chips are down.....so beware!  You have been warned.

In the end, I paid about $5,000 too much for a one owner, low mileage, rust free BMW 325IS.  The car turned out to be an excellent candidate for restoration.  I love the car after putting about 150 hours and another $10,000 to make it the car that I thought I was buying.

Intermediate Driver

Not exactly sure how a "no reserve" auction has a starting price of $14,500 as in the case of the Beetle!

New Driver

There's a lot of stuff incorrect on the '62 VW beetle- no way it's close to a #2 car.

Passenger

If the T BIRD is in fair condition then my GTO is in Concourse de Elegance shape.   LOL Jim

Pit Crew

Agreed fstnk on the "starting price" for a "no reserve" auction. This is just another example of slick marketing to garner attention to lead one down a road.

Passenger

Somebody please explain this on-line "sight unseen, no inspection, no documentation" car buying thing. Having spent a lifetime in the automotive world, I just don't see how anyone with real life experience could do ever do this?

Obviously, we are not talking about a high end, early Corvette.... with a fully documented restoration from a well known specialty shop. But this seems like just throwing your money into the air with fingers crossed? I am really thinking about the people who get screwed in these deals.

In my opinion;

Stay closer to home and don't buy ANY car online. Network with fellow enthusiasts or people who know the business. Look into more traditional means of finding a decent used car. Do the research, set a price in your mind, rent a car trailer and plan a road trip with an experienced friend. You will have more fun and a better outcome than doing these crazy, blind deals with "unknown" sellers. Everyone gets a little nutty (myself included) at a "too good to be true" deal. Try to resist that urge and go back to what will make the whole deal fun. Isn't that what we are doing here at HDC? 

Pit Crew

Several of those look like good fun to own, but the Mustang seems like the most fun for me.

New Driver

I'll second what SteveNL had to say about eBay.  I've purchased lots of items over the years there (no cars or high priced stuff, except from sellers who maintained another online selling venue).  Most transactions go fairly smoothly.  But eBay has become decidedly difficult to do business on as a seller, due to the "protections" they have built in for the buyer.  This has raised the cost of doing business there and made selling difficult, and prices definitely higher to the buyer as a result.

I recently attempted to sell a car and got a number of bids, two of which exceeded the reserve.  The car description was quite detailed, and included links to 4 youtube videos of the car, as well as a substantial number of photos posted on a photo-sharing site.  I emailed the "winner" of the auction, who finally responded more than a week later, that "sorry, don't want it anymore".  EBay states that "a bid is a contract; if you bid, you are obligated to buy".  There are two exceptions; vehicles and one other category.  In those cases, a bid is "an expression of interest to buy".  What?!  The second chance offer I sent to the next highest bidder - also above, and the only other bid above, the reserve price - was ignored.  So no sale.  A waste of time, and a waste of money.  The only time I use eBay now is if I'm desperate enough because I can't find it on Amazon or Rockauto, or at a junkyard within 50 miles.

Pit Crew

Who wouldn't want to get into the Vintage Vehicle Hobby with a "not break the bank" purchase!  While I always advise my contacts to study a specific market thoroughly prior to purchasing, I want to speak to sellers.  I looked at the 1962 Beetle (above) and groaned as I viewed the photos of a car which is grossly misrepresented as "has been restored to sparkling status".  This vehicle is far from having been restored.  "To restore" in its common definition means to "return to original condition".   I regularly critique car ads for would-be buyers.  It is a common occurrence to view photos of a vehicle which has a shining coat of paint--but wait!  Open the engine compartment and the undisturbed grime and incorrect parts jump off the screen.  Since when does a coat of paint and fresh upholstery constitute restoration?  I critique far more diligently any vehicle whose seller claims "restoration" than I would a vehicle which is sold "as-is" or as a driver, or even a "reconditioned" car.  So, I am going on-and-on here about a car on a Hagerty Site which the writer claims has been sparklingly restored. 

Pit Crew

Re: '62 VW Beetle

Well, to each his own, but the Whitewalls & Rims just don't work here. That has to detract from the value.

Pit Crew

If I take the '40 Plymouth, does the cat in the left side back seat come with it?

Passenger

I always go for the one with the broken wing. So,of course it's the T-Bird. I just checked,I've got a hundred and thirty three dollars and forty cents in my pocket. It will take more than that,I'll bet. 

Pit Crew

The square bodied Cseries went from 73-87 not 91 but still a great truck none the less! Keep up the good work on the articles!

New Driver

SteveNL, thank you for your Ebay comments.  I've not had much experience there, but will be wary in the future because of you.  I guess you always need to..."follow the money".  

Pit Crew

The Article About the Beetle points out "It's a left hand drive Model". If was sold here it should be. Germany Is left hand drive and so is most of the Planet except for Britain and it's former colonies and Japan. And a few others.

Pit Crew

Nothing for me here. But my need is very specific. Pre-1990, convertible or targa, automatic, fun to drive. So the Merc 560 checks those boxes, more or less, but is a bit porky for my tastes.

Pit Crew