cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

8 carburetor terms you should know

As enthusiasts of what can easily be considered outdated vehicles, there is a whole host of terminology that can leave one scratching their head as they dive into DIY projects the first time. In an effort to help shed some helpful light, here is a brief glossary of terms pertaining to carburetors that will set a good baseline for terms and parts inside these antiquated atomizers.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/8-carburetor-terms-you-should-know/

8 REPLIES 8
BobC
New Driver

Great article. Takes me back too many years. Thanks. 

RansomEli
Passenger

Thanks for the basic summary.  Reminds me that I have one or two junk carbs lying around. I need to take one apart just to see how to adjust everything.

Passenger

As a driver of old British cars with SU sidedraft carbs it reminds one of how important vacuum is to an engine running well.

jcav48
Pit Crew

I learned all I need to know about carburetors from author **bleep** O'Kane, it's a French word for "leave it alone". 

jcav48
Pit Crew

Don't know why system inserted "bleep" maybe Mr O'Kane prefers "Richard" these days...

Zephyr
Instructor

Good article. But who shot your carb with a dirt gun? 

Kyle

It is pretty crusty, isn't it? This was a Rochester I had sitting in the parts pile. It came out of a field car I scrapped off a few years ago. It is still a good core and has a lot of good fiddly bits. I just haven't gotten around to cleaning it since I haven't needed it yet. 

brb
Instructor

Nice article.  A follow-on that addresses more complex carburetors with things like primary and secondary jets, idle circuits, and the importance of getting all those tiny passages perfectly clean would be appreciated.  I'd also be interested in what you consider the most complex carburetors out there.