cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

8 all-American beasts from Parnelli Jones' personal collection up for auction | Hagerty Media

The legendary 1969 Big Oly Bronco is hogging most of the glory at Mecum's upcoming Indy sale-and for good reason-but it's only one of nine Parnelli-Jones-owned vehicles due to cross the block May 14-22.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/8-all-american-beasts-from-parnelli-jones-personal-collection...
31 REPLIES 31
OldRoad
Instructor

The best thing about that 70 BOSS are the missing louvers from the rear glass.
drm101
Intermediate Driver

I'd like to hear that Offy run.....
Bill
Detailer

I remember ABC Wide World of Sports covering the BAJA 1000 in a Cessna and the pilot saying, "He's going faster than us"..... 1969 Ford Bronco “Big Oly”
Bmike
Detailer

I had an HO scale (Tyco or Aurora?) slot car of that Bronco way back when. Wonder what became of it.
Bill
Detailer

the 1970 Boss 302 looks like the most enjoyable one to drive
Harrdware44
Intermediate Driver

Big Oly (and PJ himself) featured prominently in the original 1974 Gone in 60 Seconds movie. It was one of the vehicles needed for the heist. They toured his facility. The days of big hairs & flares, for sure!
jello67
Pit Crew

I'm not a modified car and race car owner. I did not know that the same gauge maker for the common British car - Smith's - was used in racecars. I see them in the 1974 Parnelli VPJ-4 Formula 1 car here. Who says British car electronics suck, and run on captured smoke? These could pretty much all be mechanical (not electrical) gauges - although it is likely at least the tachometer is not.
TonyT
Instructor

Smith's instruments were and are very accurate, to the point of a steadily dropping needle on the oil pressure gauge telling you that the last bit of oil is rapidly escaping your British-built (fill in the blank) 's engine and is about to expire.
55Customline
Pit Crew

I personally have never heard a negative comment relating to Smith's Gauges. In my opinion, it's Lucas Electrics that takes all the heat!
DT
Detailer

Lucas, Prince Of Darkness 🙂
Tcoradeschi
Intermediate Driver

Lord Lucas' words on his deathbed "Don't drive in the dark!"
hb
Intermediate Driver

Hands down the Offy Indy car has to be one of the top 5 most beautiful cars ever made.
Islander
Intermediate Driver

A bold statement. I will agree that the Offenhauser qualifies as an artwork, if not in the top 5, close to it.
peterj46
Pit Crew

I have a soft spot for Indy roadsters of the AJ Watson era, so Calhoun is at the top of my list.
Pdxcarguy
Intermediate Driver

Raise your hand...

If like me, you want to DRIVE the 1979 Troyer Modified race car just once...

"Cars and Coffee" would never quite be the same ever again...
Tinkerah
Technician

Both hands up here!
Davidb
Pit Crew

Ol' Calhoun is my favorite of all Indy racers. This vehicle isn't authentic unless the external oil tank has a crack in its side. That crack led to the funniest Indy story I know of. It led to a confrontation between Fengler (Chief Steward) and Agajanian (car owner). They stood toe-to-toe and nose-to-nose screaming at each other. This circus-like show went on and on until the oil in #98 went below the crack, and ceased leaking. Agajanian turned and headed for his south pit while Harlan re-took his throne on the start-finish line. Everyone in our section gave them an ovation (we were in the section in Tower terrace right on the start-finish line). My dad and I had such a good time we went back the next year, and the years afterwards. No more oil leaks but let me tell you about bearing failure in a turbine powered race car.....
F360Spider
Detailer

The only one of the lot I'd like is the '70 Boss 302. The rest, meh.
Jaguarman
Pit Crew

Beautiful cars, but how did the Troyer start with a Pinto, have Mustang taillights and Ford logo, and be powered by a Chevy engine?
Tinkerah
Technician

Probably like most race cars: piece by piece.
XXXMIKEXXX
Pit Crew

More unaffordable stuff for the masses !!!
Jpdelpozo
Pit Crew

Ahhh but we can dream- - no?
Jpdelpozo
Pit Crew

As I'm an old gearhead, it'd have to be the track Roadster! All the newer vehicles just seem to leave me hanging. But, that Track Roadster, that is something else. That'd have to just sit next to my "32 Ford 5 window highboy.
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

Enjoying the read until I came to the lame Chevy powered thing
Caprice81
Intermediate Driver

The 1970 Boss 302 Mustang is my choice from the lot ..screaming yellow and all! The louvers on the back glass would make it even cooler
chrlsful
Instructor

one of the last 2
dd1
Intermediate Driver

The '70 Boss would be my choice for a bid. It's absolutely gorgeous! It brings back memories of my childhood and my young love affair with cars. Although I was only 8 years old in 1970, I loved my cars. Unfortunately, the closest thing an 8 year old boy could get to owning a vehicle was a Matchbox/Hot Wheels collection. And I made the most of it by collecting as many as I could. I believe I did have this style Mustang in my collection.
GaryA123
New Driver

Offy 98 and Troyes 6. Both were the classiest race cars ever built. Mustangs are a dime a dozen. Don't do much for me.
TrustyRusty
Intermediate Driver

The Model T Roadster track car is not a 1927, but either a 1924 or 1925. Either way, I would ruin it by removing the FoMoCo flathead and replacing it with a period, modified 394 Oldsmobile V8. Then the car would be perfect!
RW68RSConv
Intermediate Driver

Give me the 1960 Offy. 1) its cool & beautiful 2) its a replica - many think this is bad, but it makes it affordable and therefore drivable 3) it looks to be authentic enough to give you same thrill as the real deal.
ConfuciusRacing
Detailer

F1 DFV...?

OH H*ll Yea...Dan Gurney did it himself...and this could have been as famous...but look at the mastery of execution.