cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

7 wagons that are worth a lot more than their sedan and coupe siblings

There's a difference between station wagons and their sedan/coupe siblings, not only in the literal sense but also when it comes to values. Sometimes the value gap is negligible, and sometimes it's so eye-popping that it requires a double take.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/7-wagons-that-are-worth-a-lot-more-than-their-sedan-and-coupe-si...
153 REPLIES 153
superduty
Intermediate Driver

If you are going to include the Cadillac wagon you need to include the BMW E91. Particularly the rear wheel drive M Sport version with a manual transmission. The next generation F31 may also qualify for this list.
AG1962
Instructor

Is it far more expensive than its sedan version? That’s what this article is about.
Kodathedog
New Driver

Yes for the E91 with all wheel drive and 6mt. Limited numbers came to the US between 06-12. I own two, it is the most amazing car ever built if you are able to maintain it yourself. As they age they start to break the bank. 

CJinSD
Instructor

I would greatly appreciate it if you can point me in the direction of a #2 condition 1952 Dodge Coronet Sedan for $2,258.50.
MustangJim
Technician

My reading comprehension skills are not what they used to be but where does it say $2258?
CJinSD
Instructor

Coronet wagons from the period—including the all-steel versions in 1951–52—are worth 635 percent more than same-model sedans and 422 percent more than two-doors in #2 condition. The average value of a 1949–50 Coronet wagon is $76,400, while the 1951–52 version is $16,600.

If a 1952 wagon costs $16,600 and that is 635% more than a sedan, then a 1952 sedan costs ($16,600)/(1+6.35) = $2,258.50

AG1962
Instructor

There might be a problem with the original numbers? But good point.
martinv
New Driver

Finally, someone that can do math! Intelligent math!
DT
Instructor

Some people don't come here for the articles. They come to find something wrong with the article. I'm constantly amazed at people who love to find fault with others and point them out. Must be a miserable way to live ????
Rider79
Technician

Personally, I'm glad to see that someone can do actual math - as another commenter pointed out.
Flashman
Technician

The authors have apirations (or perhaps illusions) of being professional writers in an organ, likewise. If you're going to blog, feel free to write in emoji-studded ebonics, but when you write formally there are rules that apply. If there are errors in a piece, the entire article loses credibility. How do you know what to believe?
MS1
New Driver

Fully agree with DT. Quite annoyo'g when people always find the smallest detail to try and discredit the author. Can they write a better article? I doubt it.
ASmelko
Pit Crew

I think your math is wrong.635% would be 6.35 times the 16600 would be like 105k
olmon
Pit Crew

Your math is going the wrong way.
olmon
Pit Crew

Simple way, while not 100% totally accurate is just divide that $16600 by 6.35. That shows a sedan being worth $2614.17
From what I can find, a #2 coupe or sedan would actually cost somewhere between $10000 & $14000. Pick $12K as an average & a wagon selling for $16600 would be commanding a roughly 27% premium.
Air_and_Water
Instructor

The problem is that you're putting that percentage on a number that they didn't say qualified. It's the $76,000 car that's worth 635% more, but not necessarily the $16,000 one.
audiobycarmine
Technician

Station Wagons — Yeah!

The Volvo 240 series is indeed iconic, perhaps even eternal. I had a 240 Coupe, but would have traded it for a wagon in an instant. And all that glass! Then there’s the P1800 ES...

I’m not sure the Cadillac qualifies as a wagon — a hatchback maybe. See; the distance between the rear AXLE and the rear END is woefully short for a wagon. A side-view is reminiscent of a Pinto.

Since Oldsmobile is mentioned, surely a late-60’s/early 70’s Vista Cruiser should be included. They were magnificent vehicles: plush, roomy. smooth and powerful.

Remember too, that no less a Cool Dude than Matt Helm drove a big wagon in “The Silencers”.
Stella Stevens was not included, though (alas!)
Padgett
Instructor

Among the herd, the Caddy Wagons are known as "longroofs". Too bad we can't add pictures. My current DD is a CTS coupe (I prefer 2 doors) and once had something so rare it is not even listed by Hagerty: a 1975 Pontiac Astre 2 door wagon (but then the Firefly is not listed either).
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

We refer to BMW wagons as longroofs too.

Probably many other brands do, I would guess.

Longroofs rule!
DaveH
Detailer

As you must know then, the Astre was for Canada- and IIRC was only in the US for 1 year. So yes, very rare car you have.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

It’s definitely a wagon.

There’s no rule for when a hatchback becomes a wagon.

It’s a longroof. Nuff said.
ASmelko
Pit Crew

I had a 87 240 wagon that was mint from Texas. Ran but needed a computer. Sold it for $1000. Should have kept it
PascakJack
New Driver

Vista Cruisers were cool.
MoparMarq
Advanced Driver

My mother had a '68 Vista Cruiser when the siblings and I were kids. I don't remember the engine size, though it was the biggest one offered - a 455 maybe? Dad's policy was always buy the biggest engine offered in the car. Mom later replaced it with a '73 Vista Cruiser with the 350. The lame pop-up sunroof in the '73 was a poor replacement for all the glass in the '68. And what a slug, too.
Rons
Pit Crew

As a Dodge Magnum RT owner and lover, I would be interested to know if there is a significant difference between the Charger RT, Chrysler 300C and the Magnum RT ?
The Magnum is technically more of a large hatchback than a true wagon, due to the hinged back door, but the low long style makes me smile every time I look back at it.
Lash
Detailer

My first thought.
RG440
Technician

Love the Magnum “Wagon” with the Hellcat Charger front clip. Dodge should be making those as they do have a huge following.
Mike_E_V
Detailer

When the 300 series of Chrysler cars debuted in 2005, a wagon was in the works but for Germany. We got the Dodge which is pretty cool but the pictures of the 300 wagon was awesome. I feel Chrysler missed the boat not offering the wagon to US clients. Shouldn't be too difficult to get a 300 front clip and turn a Magnum into a 300 SRT8 counterpart.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

We let Magnums into the longroof club, no problem.

They are badass. Especially with the Hemi.
Imperialist67
Pit Crew

Yes, a 300 wagon would have been a big seller if you ask me. Magnums have held their value quite well, though..... To me, what makes a vehicle a station wagon is that it is a variant of a sedan/hardtop. I wouldn't dismiss it because the back door is hinged. Long forgotten, but long overdue for re-discovery are the M-body based Chrysler T&C and Dodge Diplomat wagons. I snagged a Dip wagon in 2003 for hauling my band gear, as it had a V-8, RWD, a nice rear "deck" I could actually roll/slide heavy keyboards/music gear over (can't do that with a Magnum, sadly) and the top-hinged hatchback style door made it quite easy to load/unload. That Diplomat wagon continues it seems to draw FAR more attention than my other more "classic" Mopars wherever I take it.
firebreather
Pit Crew

My 1982 Diplomat draws a lot of attention too! I special ordered it with
every luxury power option available and the A38 Police Package with all
the additional Police Car options as well, but no spotlights. Moldings
and emblems delete. And trunk carpeting like a 5th Ave. $14,000
on June 16, 1982. Still have it today in as new condition. 100% original
TX9 Black paint. Dark Blue interior. Gets trophies at car shows.
DUB6
Racer

Now THAT sounds like a sweet Paddywagon!

Imperialist67
Pit Crew

sounds like the ultimate Diplomat........

Halfbakedidea
New Driver

Hmm.
Did we forget or did we exclude SAAB cars?
AG1962
Instructor

Saab wagons are not hugely more expensive than hatchbacks or sedans. That’s the point of this piece.
Phamine
New Driver

I'm surprised the B5 Audi wagon from the early 90s isn't on the list. That I believe was the first high performance wagon with a turboed V6
Phamine
New Driver

Edit: Late 90s
MarknearChicago
New Driver

The S4/6 of that era was a 5cyl turbo. Was 229hp and easy bolt-ons got it to 370. Had the sedan.
Partsman181
New Driver

What about the great contributions from the world of Peugeot? The super load carrying aspect of the 504 wagon ( with it’s 4 coil springs on the rear axle) to the 505 turbo wagon….may not be super common, but definitely worth the hunt
AG1962
Instructor

Are they much more expensive than their sedan versions? That’s the point of this article.
DUB6
Racer

Plus, the author didn't say there weren't others that could be added to the list based on that point (and great making-of-the-point, @AG1962 ) - he merely said this is a list of 7 of them.  He didn't say the top 7 or even his favorite 7.  And really, I don't get the sense that he just picked them at random - he has all of the data from Hagerty files to make his claim about them.  All of the folks who are saying, "why did you leave off X,Y and Z?", or "I would add the ******* to this list" are only expressing their opinions if they aren't backing it up with data.  (Not that there's anything wrong with having opinions - I even have some! - but attacking the author because he didn't share your particular opinion when he was relying on facts to write his list is kind of unfair, IMO (there, see?  I expressed my opinion! 😋)

Robertgouwens
Pit Crew

Did you forget about the Dodge Magnem?
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Magnum.

Those are most excellent.

Very rare to see one in the wild.

The point here is largest difference between sedan and wagon versions of the same model, in the same condition.

Sometimes, the wagon is worth double.
MJDelaney
New Driver

Looks like my 1968 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon with 56 hemi truck engine modified to car engine specs doesn't cut it. But I get that. It was a great project at the time (2005) and I would have to compete with the Road Runner. I get that too.
Great site you have and it is appreciated to see that wagons have a place!
MJ Delaney Prince Edward Island Canada
RG440
Technician

I get your “Wagon” also +
FloridaMarty
Instructor

I'd take a wagon over a sedan or SUV any day.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

I like my two sedans, but I love my longroof. 540iT Sport.
OldmanRodney
New Driver

Always good to see any wagon

RTK
New Driver

No Jetta SportWagen? Love my TDI JSW w/6 speed manual