cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

7 wagons that are worth a lot more than their sedan and coupe siblings

There's a difference between station wagons and their sedan/coupe siblings, not only in the literal sense but also when it comes to values. Sometimes the value gap is negligible, and sometimes it's so eye-popping that it requires a double take.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/7-wagons-that-are-worth-a-lot-more-than-their-sedan-and-coupe-si...
153 REPLIES 153
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Again, this is not a list of all wagons ever made. That would very long indeed!
goldwolfnhn
Intermediate Driver

I'm more surprised that the B-Body GM wagons didn't make the list, especially the 94 to 96 models, and in those years I believe it was actually the most powerful full size car let alone station wagon on the market not advertised as performance with their iron head LT1 V8 pushing 260hp and 330ftlb torque, and still able to get good fuel economy, I personally have gotten up to 26.5 mpg out of my stock 94 Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon with factory tow package, and I know the wagons are rarer and harder to find then the sedans.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

How much more are the wagons than the sedans, in identical condition?

This is a short list of cars where the wagon is worth way more than the equivalent sedan.
AG1962
Instructor

This article gives me a vague, melancholic sense of having won an argument — just too late. One difference of opinion I had over and over with a close friend whose heart gave out a few years ago at the ripe old age of 54 was about wagons. He was a child of 1960s big-city suburbia, and to him, wagons were dowdy family haulers, nothing more. As for me, I have loved and lost many wagons, even some of the high-priced exceptions mentioned in this article, including three Volvos, a 145, a 240, and an 850 GLT, a Saab 9-5, and a 1969 Chrysler Town and Country, to name my faves, as well as my parents’ 1969 Corolla wagon, later Malibus (‘76 and ‘81), a huge late-1970s Mercury Colony Park — and my grandfather’s gorgeous 1985 Mercedes 300TD and his very last car, a manual turbo 1991 Audi 200 Quattro Avant (wagon), one of 150 ever sold in the US (his was red). They must be worth lots more than an Audi 200 sedan! I just love wagons, I guess. Always have.

As the wagon scene grew in the 2010s, esp. on the west coast, I fed my buddy magazine pieces and price charts showing how wagons were finally getting their day in the sun — but he refused to be impressed. Guy was a very skilled driver and he loved his GTI. Maybe if it had come as a wagon…? Rust in peace, old friend.

RSorenson1
Intermediate Driver

How did they miss the 1960 Plymouth Belevedere S/W?
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Read the article please.
Pistolgrip4
Pit Crew

Let us not forget the GM wagons of the Mid 90's. The Buick Roadmaster with an LT1 has a serious cult following. Oldsmobile Custom Cruisers were a two year only deal and the rarest are the `96 Caprice wagons with only 485 built that year. I have owned all three and when put up for sale, buyers came from all over the country. Great cars!

To quote Hagerty;

"Interest in Buick Roadmaster wagons has seen a major uptick of late, and while these cars were a favorite of the geriatric set when new, today’s buyers are often younger Gen Xers. The Roadmaster wagon even made the Hagerty Bull Market List for 2019. Buyers today much prefer the LT1 engine, which is found in all of the later-series Buicks and some of the later-series Chevys. The Oldsmobiles and some of the Chevrolets have cleaner, non-woodgrain flanks, although replacement kits are now available to redo fake timber that has faded.

These wagons are tunable, including with parts made for the contemporary ’94–’96 Impala SS, so the original dynamics can be improved. Generally, these bloated cruisers are mechanically simple, robust, and long-lived. Truly, these last of the old-style station wagons are a great way to experience road-tripping, old-school style."

Alvis
New Driver

What about the Audi200 wagon. Super fast turbo 5 cylinder and beautiful body. An iconic car and when chipped track worthy.
RP
Intermediate Driver

What about the Volvo 1800ES versus the short roof version?
Same with the Lexus IS 300 SportCross versus the sedan?
SCHNELL
Intermediate Driver

BMW e30 Touring ?
BiffNotZeem
Intermediate Driver

This is the correct answer. Aside from the E30 M3, the E30 touring usually gets a good bit more money than a similarly spec’ed sedan.

Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Never sold here, so yeah, quite pricey vs an equivalent e30 sedan.

Just saw one last Sunday. Someone had imported it. Estoril Blue. Very nice.

But Hagerty would probably have zero data on them.
MustangJim
Technician

The Oldsmobile wagon being worth more then the sedan is the one that surprised me. Its nice to see wagons getting their due...I always preferred them as daily driver.. now I have an SUV ( station wagon with AWD and higher ground clearance).
GoinManta
New Driver

The TourX verse the Regal Sportback are going for more and I am sure will be worth more later. As the last Buick Wagon.
Flyman615
New Driver

The Buick Regal TourX wagon is a GREAT car in all respects. I own a 2019 and like it MUCH more than my previous SUVs.  My first car was a 1960 Chevy wagon and I've also owned Audis, VWs, Subarus and Opel wagons--which, BTW, was the German maker of the TourX. The TourX handles great on our mountain roads and gets an honest 35 mpg on the highway. Too bad it never got the recognition it deserved while it was sold in the USA. Great styling (like Mercedes wagons) and the 2.0 Turbo is a sweet little engine! 

wdb
Advanced Driver

E350 kombi owner here. The car is stupendously useful and filled with clever features. I got it so that I could haul my nonagenarian parents + their accouterments (read: walkers) around in comfort, safety and style. Can't do that with a sedan, and I'd need an elevator to get them in/out of a comparable SUV.

My wife was stigmatized by her mother's lifelong procession of faux wood trimmed kid haulers and refuses to have one for herself. Foolish girl. I'd love to see her driving a pert little BMW 3 series touring.

Longroofs rule!
3304HL
Pit Crew

Surprised not to see the Studebaker Lark Wagon-Aire -
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Those are so cool.

But I would imagine that Hagerty’s data on those is near zero.

My Grandpa Joe had a Lark sedan forever. Baby blue.
1957buickjim
New Driver

How about the iconic 1957-58 Buick and Oldsmobile 4 door hardtop wagons? The Estate Riviera Wagon, Caballero and Fiesta Wagons are truly deserving of being in here, especially when compared to their sedan and hardtop brothers.
Buickdude
Pit Crew

Tri-5 Pontiac Safari?
knuck39
Intermediate Driver

surprized not to see the e39 bmw touring wagons in this group...I guess beauty is still in the eye of the beholder...
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Got one!

2000 540iT Sport Package. Love it.

This article has nothing to do with beauty, though.

It’s about the largest wagon premium vs equivalent sedan.

The e39 is the finest modern BMW ever built, by the way….
Buickdude
Pit Crew

94-96 Buick Roadmaster?
D64
Pit Crew

I loved this article. It brought back many memories. One: in the mid to late 50's our neighbor bought a new Belair Chevy about every year albeit a 2 door hard top. I can still see him shinning it every Saturday outside his garage. Two: I had a late 60's Pontiac station wagon to haul our 4 kids around in the early 70's . It was BIG and green with swing out rear door and rear facing 3rd bench seat. The kids loved it! Wagons were sorta cool for "families" back in the day. Thanks!
67Firebird
Intermediate Driver

'57 Nomad, Black on Black, Fuelie.....All original....You can have all the rest...
WAB
Intermediate Driver

2017 to 2019 Buick Regal TourX............very few people are even aware of them.
PRScott
Instructor

Volvo P1800ES. Aston Martin DB5 estate Just askin'
jensens4me
New Driver

Another " wagon" of note falls into the "shooting brake" category (a European term for station wagon) would be the Jensen GT. Based on the Jensen Healey, 511 were produced with perhaps 200 remaining in the world. Values have increased faster than the JH, especially on fine examples and makes it worthwhile to restore since many parts are still available. Many LHD cars imported (260) into the US are now going back across the pond as European collectors recognize their unique value. You won't see yourself coming & going in one!
RJMatt
Intermediate Driver

As one who owned a 1974 1/2 JH, I agree! I did want one of those while driving my white Jensen.
Macavity
New Driver

Jaguar 2005 - 2008 X-Type Estate Sport Wagon. When you can choose anything - the Queen drives this car.
Micmac
New Driver

BMW e34 M5 touring?
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Well, yeah. The original M5. Hand built (completed) at BMW M.

I’ve seen them go for $60,000 in great condition.

But the sedan is getting crazy-expensive too, so I’m not sure about the wagon premium. Might not be much now.

And since those wagons were never sold here, Hagerty probably has zero data.
Copbait73
Pit Crew

What, A modern Caddy and not the high performance Dodge Hemi Magnum wagon?
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Does anyone read the article?
FormerCav
Intermediate Driver

where is the volvo 1800 S ?
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Parked out back.
Padgett
Advanced Driver

I suspect some wagons are so rare as to be missed. Pontiac Safari, and 1972 T41 LeMans. Also the Volvo P1800ES is the same and what about the Volvo 850R-wagons. 240s really ? Ford had some 2 door wagons also. There is a CTS-V wagon with a 6 speed manual running around town here and since are two CTS-V cars on Street Outlaws now are starting to get some respect.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

The CTS-V wagon is shown here.

But yes, I’m pretty sure that Hagerty has about zero data on the really rare ones.

AMG Mercedes wagons, BMW M wagons, etc.

They can only go by the data that they
RG440
Instructor

GREAT Article! I have always had the greatest appreciation for wagons as I grew up rolling around in the back of one with a number of other children… In my eyes one of the most spectacular wagons of them all was the 1958 Oldsmobile Super 88 Fiesta Station Wagon. What a beautiful design of a wagon. Just love the way it was designed to look like a two door but actually was a four door. Was always jealous of the kids in back of those on the turnpike. Surprised the Vista Cruiser did not get a spot. Two of the rarest wagons I owned were 1968 Coronet 440 with a 383 being one of 99 built and the other being a Volare wagon with the E-58 option, one of 65 built.
john-tate
New Driver

I had a Ford Focus ZTW which was a great little wagon. I had 5 speed manual box. Had great performance with the Zetec double overhead cams. Room for 2 goldens in the back. Sadly rust took it’s life. Living in Canada will do that even though it was supposedly rust proofed by the dealership. Sad.
daydreamerdav
Intermediate Driver

If you guys are going to mention the Corvair wagon I think the Rambler American delivery wagon 2 dr side panel rear window rear door and all the Rambler wagons of the 50s are quite noteworthy as they got the best gas mileage of all the wagons of that time. They also had the front seats fold down into a nice size bed. Some of us like the old Ramblers of the 50s and 60s. they were well built cars with alot of innovations for the time. Just remember fellas the term I went to the Submarine Races last night was invented by a Rambler engineer. Enjoyed the article thanks Hagerty.
Studenorton
Instructor

There was a rude (and proven-accurate) name for those fully-reclining seats.
Studebaker had them, too.
Continental57
New Driver

This article is interesting to me, long time vintage wagon fan. BUT, not one mention of the company that has probably sold more wagons than anyone, Ford Motor Company? The biggest omission being 49-51 Ford and Mercury wagons, surely they are pricier than any other body style. I could come up with a couple more....how about 57-58 Mercury Colony Park, 56 Ford Parklane.
tobeysdad
New Driver

I'd say the BMW E39 540 Wagons are selling for a lot more than the sedan. Certainly the 2003 only M-Sport.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

Love my 2000 Sport Package.

175,000 miles. Great all-around car.

Spacious, quick, handles great (Konis on mine, which likely helps), comfortable ride, good fuel economy.

My airport limo when I have to pick someone up at DIA.
Mike_E_V
Detailer

Just about every wagon from the 50's and 60's can compete pricewise with their coupe and sedan brethren. The wagons I would prefer to view include the 1957 Oldsmobile and Buick models as well as 57 thru 60 Mercury Colony Park versions and to finish it off...Chrysler Desoto and Dodge four-door hardtop wagons from the late 50's to into the early 60's. THOSE were premium, cool wagons. A 95' and newer Buick Roadmaster wagon would do as well and a 56' Ford 2 door Fairlane wagon with Victoria trim.
Longroofjunkie
Instructor

The point of the article is the wagons that sell for way more than the equivalent sedan.
ROBBO99
Detailer

Id like to see a bentley station wagon with a v-12 engine !!
Studenorton
Instructor

I'm sure that would have been badged a "Shooting Brake." Until recently, anyway.
Maestro1
Technician

I've had the Volvo (hands down, the best), The Corvair, and the Olds twice, once as the full size as above and a Custom Cruiser. Long live long roofs and get rid of compact SUVs. Or SUVs of any kind.
Jeff, this is excellent and I thank you.