cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

7 sweet bargains from the 2021 Scottsdale "Part II" auctions | Hagerty Media

Earlier in the week we outlined some of the massive sales to come out of the Arizona auctions in March. As is always the case with such massive car auctions, however, these "Scottsdale Part II" sales weren't all big money muscle cars and seven-figure Shelbys.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/7-sweet-bargains-from-the-2021-scottsdale-part-ii-auctions/
44 REPLIES 44
bhankinsonn
Intermediate Driver

Thank you for this article, I had bemoaned the inclusion of moderately priced sale results from these auctions and here they are!! That Toro would have loved to be in my garage.
1959Imperial
Pit Crew

Several issues on the Toronado not mentioned. The add on sunroof, vinyl roof, velour interior and rear quarter vents. There were several more not mentioned. So do most Toronado buyers want a stock appearance car or a "Super-fly" wannabe. The final price reflected the answer.
rpatston
Pit Crew

I for one, If I wanted a "Super Fly" ride, I would gravitate to a over the top example, Toronado's were a technical marvel in there day, much as the Eldorados were, and I for one prefer both as correct as possible....
JohninNC
Advanced Driver

The over the top nature or the Toro really get me going, love it! I mean think about it, pull up to the country club, park 1st row, and head in with a spiffy outfit on, and you've 100% arrived!!! The Caddy- same result, bam! You're "In".
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

Well it hit me right where I live: my dad had a Cad of that year, and I had a first-year Toro. We always thought of ourselves as fairly successful men in our fields, but now I see we were both huge losers when it came to picking classics. Now I don't even want to tell what else I own -- might start a selling frenzy.
TG
Instructor

Both of those cars are right up my alley along with my 90 Allante and my rubber baby buggy bumper 74 vette... I'm glad the collectors haven't caught on and jacked the prices up to 6 figures
slammin
Pit Crew

Interesting to see sales that are within reach of more "normal" collectors. These sales weren't good news for the sellers though, especially the Land Cruiser.
kip
Intermediate Driver

Agreed, nice to see some normalcy. The restomods there went for way more than I thought they were worth. But like any BJ or Mecum auction, look for some of the sold cars on ebay this week or BaT in a month because the new owners do not want to ship them back because of what they found wrong with them.
Numberscruncher
Detailer

Now, those are classic cars! Thank you.
Ajakeski
Intermediate Driver

1976 Cadillac? It looks like people are buying cars just to buy cars.
AG1962
Detailer

Interesting! Nice that a few people got some deals. As a 1962 baby, I once again feel that I arrived at dinner just in time to miss dessert, and to clear up the scraps left over by the Boomers... if I had only bought some of those cars ten years ago, instead of paying off my mortgage!

The prices these cars *should* have fetched are instructive. Real-estate bubbles on both coasts and in some bigger inland cities are driving the prices in our hobby out of the reach of younger people — unless they, or as is more likely, their parents are bubble beneficiaries. Those real estate prices are the hidden inflation of our era, and they are dragging prices for *some* other goods up with them quickly: namely, the things that Boomer home-equity millionaires want: old cars, old motorcycles, cottages, cabins, etc. What will happen in 20-30 years — when gas is even at current European prices ($7.07 a gallon in Denmark), the Boomers are gone or mostly, and the population is stagnant or falling? Whether or not real estate prices fall depends on a lot of factors, but the price of our cars is based on our demand. When we are gone, then what? My kids want to live downtown, commute by train if necessary (NOT by bus), and drive somewhere once or twice a week for fun or shopping. A classic car sounds perfect, right? Except they want airbags, ABS, and backup cameras, thanks. Oh, and crash safety. A car-share is all they will ever need (or be able to afford), in any case. Some day in the coming decades, no-one is going to want our treasured cars anymore. So enjoy them, but beware the bubble!
TA76
Intermediate Driver

Sad but I believe true.
DT
Detailer

Excuse me!!! I think there are enough of us Baby Boomers left to keep prices up for a few more years. I will not go quietly into the night 🙂
chrlsful
Instructor

I wish the whole auction trended as above. Like homes - too many in for the $, drivin up $, and too lill appreciation for the "object' itself.
DT
Detailer

Old and Classic cars is a business unto itself. You can't blame a guy for turning a buck or two. Ya can't eat that 426 Hemi 🙂
JonMiller
Intermediate Driver

I suspect the Beetle and the Thunderbird will accumulate the most miles of the cars featured in this article. This may make them an even greater bargain. The million-dollar auction car articles are great but this this a refreshing counterweight to those stories. Great work!
Jost
Intermediate Driver

Thanks for listening to us! When you had the high sales last week many of us asked for these, and here they are! Its appreciated.
Eric
Hagerty Employee

Glad to hear it. Anytime there are bargains, we like to share them. At most auctions there are a handful of good gets, but now and again there will be a sale where nothing went for much under what we expected, and doing an article on 'sold as expected' isn't exactly riveting.

dd1
Intermediate Driver

Nice article. There's two cars on this list I would like and they're both polar opposites: the Caddy and the Beetle! The Beetle exudes copious amounts of charm and character! I loved the beautiful sound of that air-cooled engine that was so unique to Volkswagen. I truly yearn to see those simple little vehicles on the road again. In terms of sheer looks the Caddy was absolutely gorgeous. When I was a kid (and I'm probably showing my age by saying this), a luxury car was defined by owning either a Cadillac or a Lincoln, period. And these vehicles looked every bit the part. They were the ultimate status symbols of material success and money in America. Maybe it's just me, but I can't differentiate a Chevy from a BMW from a Lexus from a plain jane Toyota Camry. They all look the same to me! Whoa...I really do feel old!:)
TG
Instructor

I can't drive anything with 42 horsepower unless I am cutting grass... sorry
DT
Detailer

Traded a 1969 Roadrunner for a Beetle in the early 70's gas shortage and loved it. Always wished I had kept the RR too but I was young , just married and struggling so it had to go.
rpatston
Pit Crew

the oddball modification are clearly what killed the price on the Toronado, not sure how or why those were done except to the PO's taste but those weird -pillar vents and the velvet interior would have barred me from bidding on it.....but I like my stuff bone stock too so....
TG
Instructor

Before it was a classic car, it was just an old car, and before that, just a car
avideo
Intermediate Driver

Odd nothing is mentioned about the early days of the Arizona car auctions. Almost always they include dozens of lower priced cars and trucks. If you actually walk the car auction areas early in the week, you see lots of plain jane vehicles that will likely never get much attention.
Those of us that live here know that. And in some cases look to buy their vehicles early in the auction cycles, before all the hype and high dollar vehicles start getting in the news.
stevecobb45
Detailer

If I were bidding on that Jag, it would have sold for a lot more. Loved those cars.
Papa-tony
Intermediate Driver

Good on you guys for this article... I almost feel like I can be part of this hobby now~!
Maestro1
Instructor

Andrew, I'm all over the Toronado. I bought a new one in 1966 from a San Francisco Olds Dealer, very nice people, a soft Green and I don't remember the interior color. It was terrific. The car was an early model with vacum operated headlight covers, so that at 60mph the covers would lower at night
while on the highway which was very exciting. I mentioned it to my Dealer who took the car back and
GM had a kit made to covert the headlight apparatus from vacum to electric. No issues after that. The gas mileage I remember to this day was astonishing; that is, you weld a gas station to the gas filler cap as the way to stay on the road. If I had the room I'd buy another one. Thank you for this.
PS: It's also good to see these prices and that BJ is not ignoring that end of the market.
Punk
Detailer

The Jag is a classic! And a really beautiful example. The Toronado is an interesting car for it being ahead of its time. The T-Bird, same.
The rest of these are basically Craigs list fodder...
Oldsmobile1988
Pit Crew

You're kidding me Right???????
I personally inspected every one of those vehicles. Are you making this determination from a distance. Too many people make that same mistake oh that was a great deal that I saw on TV. People paid over market value for all of these except for the Military Jeep with the trailer.
Are you also taking into consideration you have to add 10% on top of that 12% if you were a phone or Internet bidder!! And then pay to get it home. Along will sales tax. So on a $100,000 vehicle add 20%. Seriously do you really think these were good deals. Hagerty Writers get your head out of your butt. Are you PEOPLE on Jackson and MECUM payroll????? Be careful what you write. We are all watching and most of us are quite educated on this subject.
DT
Detailer

**bleep** **bleep** **bleep**.......
Oldsmobile1988
Pit Crew

Yeah bleep yourself, just another self serving person. Pull your lip over your head and swallow. Facts are Facts. Unless you were there to personally inspect these vechials. And if you were then I appreciate constructive criticism
j_reames
New Driver

@Oldsmobile1988  Hidden in your bitter criticism of Hagerty's article is a good point about the true cost of buying a car at auction. (People probably don't like you too much, I'm guessing?)  It could be misleading to print "Sold for $132,000" when it may have sold for closer to $160,000 with buyer's premium and tax.  So when you are comparing COST to Hagerty values, you should look at the total cost to determine the apparent equity gained by the buyer.  That just makes business sense.  The buyer could live in Scottsdale or Bangor or Dubai, so Hagerty wouldn't necessarily have the transport cost to share.  Btw, we had a 1988 Cutlass Supreme Brougham.  LOVED the car until it burst into flames one day in 1994.  😞  Fortunately, no one was hurt, but I do miss her! 

Eric
Hagerty Employee

Some fair points here. As you rightly point out, we can't account for travel/shipping/other individual costs associated with buying a car at auction. But when we report auction sales, we report the final price with buyer's premium. Usually that's in the neighborhood of 10-12 percent, depending on the auction house, and there can be a cap on the total premium.
ctaarman
Intermediate Driver

On the XK150S Jaguar, I could not find anywhere in the description that this is one of the rarest 3.8L models. I rathercsuspect it is a 3.4L. That said, zooming in on the pictures, those must have been a really hard 1000 miles since the restoration, and with many details sorely lacking. Still, maybe $10K low in this condition.
Eric2
Intermediate Driver

I remember my grandfather had a custom made 67 Toronado built to fit in their narrow garage. I was just a kid at the time, but the car had the width narrowed. Gramps wasn't all that when it came to cars other than driving them. He ended up trading it in for a Caddy when they retired and moved to Florida. I seriously doubt it was mentioned during trade in and I doubt anyone would have caught the customization over the years. Imagine it ended up in a junkyard somewhere.
Cornbinder
Intermediate Driver

Being in the process of restoring a '42 GPW, you were exceptionally generous calling this copulation of parts number 2 condition, and it sold for every dollar it (and the Bantam trailer) is worth. First off, the assigned Arizona VIN - why not the frame number? Simple, this has a Willys MB frame (with a rounded front cross-member). GPW's have the serial number stamped into the frame, while MB's have a riveted tag - which is missing. As such, the Willys MB engine in this makes more sense. Since a WWII military G-503 jeep is a vehicle that can be done as a "VISA card restoration", this has had a near random assortment of reproduction parts put onto it - for WWII and post-war civilian Jeeps. At best it's what we in the MVPA call a "Motor-Pool" grade restoration, but that would also have at least the top bows (which this is missing). Hopefully the buyer knew what they were getting into with it, but I doubt it.
Bullit
Intermediate Driver

Was really great to see the 66 Toro on here 😃!! My cousin owned a super clean 68 back in the late 70's, a gorgeous sky blue over a beautiful white leather interior! In the late 70's thru the early 80's we spent many a Saturday night cruz'n E Street in San Berdo Calif, he in his Toro & Me in my 67 Bonneville pop-top with the very limited 428ci, turbo 400 & posi-trac rear end, damn thing had Hayes four wheel disk brakes on it! Of course my 18yr old dumb butt had no clue how rare the car was, the local car dealer offered me $3500 for it in 83 & I walked away with the $$ thinking I had really snookered the guy 😭 LOL, what average car guy on the street could have imagined what would happen in the cost of these kind of cars in the future 🤷 I started watching the BJ auction way back in the beginning of it's television days on speedvision & in all these years since, I've never seen one like it cross the block. 🤦
Rider79
Instructor

"...less desirable big bumpers..."? They are far MORE desirable, in my view, than the old-fashioned looking antiques on pre-1968 Beetles and Ghias. And, they also signify that the Beetle probably (unless it is a 1968 4-speed) has the hugely more desirable semi-trailing-arm rear suspension. And how could the high-back seats be less desirable than the old low-backs with no headrests? Anybody remember that thing called "whiplash", that older cars used to impart when hit in the back?

This one has the right colour, too; the only thing that would have made it better, if it was a Super Beetle (a matter of opinion, too, I realize).
Pablob
New Driver

Nice to see an article about cars that mere mortals can afford, and maybe even drive. I think the Beetle would have done better on a site like BBAT where it would stand out more.
Pablob
New Driver

...BAT (no edit function)
Sajeev
Community Manager

The three dots in the corner of your posts takes you to the edit function. See screenshots below. Depending on where you are, this might be a two step process, but you can edit your comments. Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 8.38.30 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-05 at 8.38.52 AM.png

JRM
New Driver

Seeing that Toronado brings back fond memories. I had a baby blue 66 in the early 70s when I was in high school. One dark rainy night my girlfriend and I drove out to the country going to our favorite place to park (to do homework of course). I turned onto what I thought was the farm lane we always went to, well, because it was dark, raining pretty hard and my wipers were worn and couldn’t see that well. I actually was turning off a bridge over small creek. Thank God for that front wheel drive. As soon as the wheels went over the edge that tank dropped onto the frame and came to a complete stop. It didn’t take long to realize I wasn’t going anywhere with out a tow, and the only house I could see with lights on was the farmers who owned the land. Reluctantly and soaking wet I walked to his house and asked for help. After lecturing me about being on his land without permission he agreed to help and pulled me back on the road with one of his tractors. The next day after inspecting the car and seeing no damage what so ever, I was thinking I was in the clear. Boy was I wrong. The girls father was one of the few doctors in our small town, and happened to be the doctor of the farmer that helped us. Well, he told her father everything. She got grounded, they told my parents and I got grounded, got the car taken away for a while and never went out with that girl again. Which is a good thing, shortly after that I meant the girl of my dreams and we’ve been married over 30 years.
merk66
New Driver

The Jeep is not built by Ford. All the Ford built jeeps had the grill going in a "Horizontal" manor. I have seen the two side by side.
brb
Advanced Driver

Nice to see nice old cars at sane prices.