cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 of our favorite movie cars

We love to trace the myriad ways that cars (and trucks!) permeate our culture and our lives. When we’re not documenting our own adventures or analyzing the collector market or swapping an engine in the garage, we’re digging through the never-ending treasure trove of automotive movies. Though we’ve unearthed some obscure titles in recent months, our own Brad Phillips and Colin Comer decided to spend some time debating the all-time greats movie cars in a recent livestream.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/7-of-our-favorite-movie-cars/

Replies (109)

Replies (109)

How did Herbie the Love Bug not make this list!?!

New Driver

Are you Kidding, where the Bandits Trans Am, The Bullitt Mustang, the Hemi Challenger that Kowalski drove, those are hero cars, though thank you for not bringing anything from the fast and the stupid, I mean furious 

New Driver

I feel like this article is fishing for us to post about:

-two lane blacktop 55 chev

-Vanishing Point Challenger

-American Graffiti Coupe, 58 Impala, etc.

-The original Eleanor and the Nic-Cage era one people seem to love

-Bluesmobile as Brandan already posted...

-Dog van from Dumb & Dumber

-Space RV from Spaceballs

-Delorean from Back to the Future... even Toyota truck from same

-could do a whole article just from Mad Max franchise and Fast & Furious Franchise...

and so on

Detailer

The 1949 Buick  Roadmaster  Drop-top from Rain Man !

New Driver

I thought that there would be a couple of shoe ins - The Bullitt Mustang and DeLorean from Back to the Future.  What about the 1966 Thunderbird from Thelma and Louise? 

Passenger

The Bluesmobile will always be among my favorites. I guess I'll have to see if it came up in the talk.

Hagerty Employee

That sexy American Graffiti Coupe!

Intermediate Driver

Dustin Hoffman’s Alfa in the Graduate was pretty iconic to my generation.

Passenger

Yesssss Christine! Can’t agree with you more 😃

Passenger

It’s a stretch but I also like the treatment that Doc, the 1951 Hudson Hornet, receives in the first Cars movie with Paul Newman’s voice. 

Navigator

Back to the future? Really? How could that not be on the list but the Devil's Mercedes is?

Navigator

What about the '77 Bandit T/A . I bought one in the fall of '77 and still have it in showroom condition. A corny but classic car movie

Passenger

Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am, Thelma and Louise T-Bird. 

New Driver

Wasn't there a beautiful 1966 convertible, Ford Thunderbird roadster in Thelma & Louise that should have made this list?

Passenger

As Brandon said,like many articles here"they are fishing for comments". And the community comes through. Love this part of Hagerty, the passion ,knowledge, memories of the participants. Some of my favorites: Burt's Trans Am, the Milner coupe and Falfa 55, the Cobra, Daytona, and Camaro from Gumball. Bullit's Mustang and Charger and the Audi,etc. from Ronin for the awesome chase scenes. Remembering the driver's eye of the Ferrari hammering through Paris still gives me chills.

Pit Crew

The Charger from Dirty Mary Crazy Larry.

Pit Crew

Another “GREAT” car movie from the early 60s was “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad World” So many cars to chose from. First one to the “W” wins. 

Passenger

This looks like the "B"or "C" list. I personally missed the DeLorean.

New Driver

Great Scott! Where's Doc's DeLorean

New Driver

Great list, but to me misses the top 5 quintessential movie cars: Bullit Mustang, Back to the Future Delorean, The Graduate Alfa Romeo Spyder ‘Duetto’, James Bond Franchise Aston Martin DB5 & The Spy Who Loved Me Lotus Esprit S1 ‘Wet Nellie’  

Passenger

Not that it was a great car but without it there wouldn't be a trilogy, how was the DeLorean left off the list, the time machine that even today people stop and have a must see. An iconic memory that has spanned at least 3 generations. Marty McFly and Doc Brown will never forgive you.

New Driver

You just can’t leave out the Lincoln Continental from Animal House... better known as the “Deathmobile”!

Passenger

The car from the movie “The Car.”

New Driver

Well-crafted article. Interesting choices, some a bit under the radar while clearly ignoring many of the obvious choices to get people to comment. I actually tend to dislike cars that are famous for being in movies... I used to love DeLorean until it became an icon for a stupid movie. I actually have a movie car now, a red Ferrari 308. Probably an icon for 3 different movie/TV shows (Cannonball Run, Vacation and Magnum) I actually had to put those negatives aside to buy the car, which I enjoy a great deal.

Passenger

one thing that no one mentioned. for all these cars that feature large in the story lines, what about all the vintage and antique cars that hollywierd has destroyed on screen? same as on TV. i see a movie or program that destroys a vintage vehicle, i never watch it again. why support the idiots.

Pit Crew

1978 Dodge Sportsman Ambulance from The Cannonball Run. It was the real deal, built by and Hal Needham and raced in the real Cannonball Baker Memorial trophy Dash by Needham and Brock Yates.

Navigator

Detective Marion Cobretti's awesome '50 Merc'!

Passenger

How about the Porsche 928 from ScarFace, Weird Science, and Risky business.  

Yes, I'm a Porsche 928 guy....LOL!

Passenger

How about the Camaro from Aloha Bobby and Rose? I remember two things about that movie: The Camaro and the song Benny and the Jets!

Passenger

You left out us older folks again.. How about Robert Mitchum's '50 and '57 Fords in "Thunder Road."  Or, the 1949 Merc, driven by James Dean, in "Rebel Without a Cause."

Passenger