cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

7 of our favorite movie cars

We love to trace the myriad ways that cars (and trucks!) permeate our culture and our lives. When we’re not documenting our own adventures or analyzing the collector market or swapping an engine in the garage, we’re digging through the never-ending treasure trove of automotive movies. Though we’ve unearthed some obscure titles in recent months, our own Brad Phillips and Colin Comer decided to spend some time debating the all-time greats movie cars in a recent livestream.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/7-of-our-favorite-movie-cars/

140 REPLIES 140
DHess
Pit Crew

My favorite movie car of all time and I’m sure Pontiacs is the Bandit’s Trans Am (Black Bird Special); my childhood dream car; I fulfilled that dream 36 years ago and still absolutely love driving my ‘78 TA

richreed701
Pit Crew

Steve McQueen's 68 Mustang GT in Bullit.  James Taylor and Denny Wilson's Tri-Five gasser in Two Lane Blacktop.  

Reatta
Pit Crew

Maybe these are the only movies you have seen. I am glad to see a couple of your cars, but missing the 1977 Trans-Am in "Smokey and the Bandit" makes me wonder if you have watched many movies with cars in them. That T/A caused Trans-Am sales to go through the roof. The car was as big of a star as Bert was. Pontiac even made the special "Bandit" edition that sold quicker than they could build them.  

I know of dozens of cars in movies that would be a better choice than that Mercedes.

It would help if you actually watched more than 10 movies in your life. Just a suggestion.

Mustang85
Pit Crew

The Mercedes 600 was also driven by Blofeld in On Her Majesties Secret Service. In the end he drives by Bond and his new bride and Blofeld's hench-woman in the back seat shoots and kills Bonds bride sitting in the Aston Martin on the side of the road. Bond never got married again that I know of.

jddmharris1973
Passenger

Do not forget 1970's Brewster McCloud! Go Man Go 70 Road Runner. 70 Matador Red AMC Gremlin with V/8.,  Driven by Sally Kellerman. 1970 Silver and Black Z/28 Camaro.            Jim Harris 1972 Gremlin X V/8 Owner Tremont,Ill.

bractek
Passenger

Jeeeeeeez, no batmobile or Bert Reynolds TransAm or etc etc etc.? ? ?

cmckay_nj
Passenger

where is smokey and the bandit.. you kidding me.. some of those granted are cool.. but no 77 black trans am.. 

Nvsteve
Passenger

The two Duesenberg JN convertible coupes in the original Great Gatsby starring Alan Ladd.  The Yellow Rolls Royce. The Manx buggy in The Thomas Crown Affair. 

Silver-RS
Passenger

71 Black Cuda from the 1979 cult classic "Phantasm"

Guitar74
Gearhead

YES!!!! I saw that movie in '84 for the first time and it started my E-Body love affair. 

mwmyers91
Detailer

My favorite by a longshot is Christine. Come on !!!!! a car that repairs itself,

you can't top that.

jjolly65
Passenger

I can't help but wonder if the Jaguar that Harold modified into a Hurst was really driven off a cliff in Harold and Maude. When I saw that movie in high school I couldn't help but think how cool it would be to have that car for my daily driver.

Dowachubub
Passenger

Where is Steve McQueens’s 68 Mustang in Bullet. Most famous race scene in movie history! 

trickytrick
New Driver

The Bandit’s Trans Am has a special place in my heart right next to the red WRX in Baby Driver and Denzel’s Monte from Training Day. 

ehankey
New Driver

Alright, this is the first time I’ve ever commented on anything, but it deserves to be said - the 71 Riviera in Last Boy Scout.

(mic drop)

RStack
Passenger

How about Mad Max's car from Road Warrior!

Guitar74
Gearhead

The Falcon XB. I also liked the yellow Falcon cop cars in the opening sequences of Mad Max.

Overton
New Driver

Great Scott! Where's Doc's DeLorean

Reconmarine
New Driver

What ! No Eleanor mustang or even Steve McQueen's Bullitt !

Trojan75
Passenger

Even though it's not a rockem sockem car, I would strongly submit the 1954 Sunbeam Alpine, which starred in the Hitchcock movie, "To Catch a Thief".  It co-starred Cary Grant and Grace Kelly.  Classic lines on such a classy car!

rbsWELDER
New Driver

Bullitt? Eleanor?

quaybon1
Pit Crew

The Mach I was in what movie? The article neglected to say. This was picked over Bullitt?

Guitar74
Gearhead

Well, there was the original Gone in 60 seconds Mach 1 (check out the film showing all of the mods made to that one for the film), and the Diamonds are forever.

Bobbytriumph
Passenger

The Ghostbusters converted ambulance from 1984 is wrong to overlook. There’s even shots of Dan Akyroyd working on it in the film!

Jew
Pit Crew

What, neither Bullitt's Mustang or the black Charger?

ozone
New Driver

This looks like the "B"or "C" list. I personally missed the DeLorean.

gster
Pit Crew

How about a TV car?

My 1965 Corvair Corsa was used in the 90's TV series Kung Fu TLC.

I was a set dresser on the show and they wanted a quirky car for one of the characters.

They repainted my car a bright green and it was dubbed "The Kermitmobile"

kermitmobile.jpg

Manease
Pit Crew

Hollywood Knights..1965 Pontiac GTO, 1965 El Camino SS, 57 Chevy With a blower, Cobra in there also. 

Guitar74
Gearhead

Yes! the Popular Hot Rodding Project X '57. There was an article on using that one in the film. It turns out that Tony Danza over revved the blown 350 and tossed a rod on location.

tangopappa
Passenger

WTFO?  Where was McQueen's, '68 "Bullitt" Mustang GT...?  Major oversight, Hagerty.

tangopappa
Passenger

WTFO?  Where was McQueen's '68 Mustang GT from "Bullitt", in it's many famous 'chase' scenes--Major oversight by Hagerty, IMHFO!

Harry
New Driver

You missed a lot from Cannonball Run and the MB 280 3.5 Cab in Hangover

Sg18951
Passenger

Dustin Hoffman’s Alfa in the Graduate was pretty iconic to my generation.

mcs1000
Pit Crew

How about a couple of obscure choices? Steve McQueen's 911S from the beginning of LeMans, and James Garner's Mustang GT350 from Grand Prix.

nojiman
Passenger

I thought that there would be a couple of shoe ins - The Bullitt Mustang and DeLorean from Back to the Future.  What about the 1966 Thunderbird from Thelma and Louise? 

DavidHolzman
Detailer

I totally concur with the DeLorean from Back to the Future and the T'bird from Thelma and Louise. And while Wayne's World wasn't a perfect movie, the Pacer was absolutely the perfect car for that movie.

nojiman
Passenger

Oh wait - what about 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California  from Bueller's Day Off?? Bueller … Bueller....

bblhed
Advanced Driver

Gumball rally and Grand Theft Auto were both full of great cars and any car from those movies probably should not be on the list just for that reason. I want to know how Herbie, the Bandit Trans Am, and the Ferrari from Ferris Buelers day off didn't make the List?

Joncarmel
Pit Crew

BATMOBILE !!!

AutoVelocity
New Driver

Challenger RT in Vanishing Point is #1.  Charger and Mustang in Bullitt #2, Charger in Dirty Larry ans Crazy Mary and Camaro in Henry Winkler return from Vietnam movie.  Better choices.

mnartyk
Passenger

How about the Pontiac from "Knight Rider" and Jimmy Stewart's DeSoto from Vertigo?

SRL
Passenger

Ferrari 250 PF Cabriolet Elvis drove in the movie “Spinout”

AutoVelocity
New Driver

I agree with the other posts in their choices over the so-so choices of listed in the article.

Plus these that might be duplicates:

Challenger RT in Vanishing Point is #1.  Charger and Mustang in Bullitt #2, Charger in Dirty Larry ans Crazy Mary and Camaro in the Vietnam veteran movie Heroes.  That Camaro was exactly how returning vets modified them in the early 70's.  I always loved that big block corvette hood bulge adapted to the 70-1/2 Camaro.  Another great car fro modification was the 70 Challenger becasue they can be painted with a multitude of colors to accentuate the line of the design and the front headlight covered with plexi or billet horizontal grill taht goes from headlight to headlight looks awesome too.  I'd like to see more coverage of car that people modified similar to the World of Wheels car show cars.  

Poffersbusiness
Passenger

There’s lots of popular cars on the list but I would like to have seen one not so we’ll known. The 1973 Brewster Green Trans Am from McQ. Only because I happen to own one. And with John Wayne begins the wheel how can you go wrong!

hb
Intermediate Driver

Professor Fates' Hannibal "Twin 8" from "The Great Race". Crewed by Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk.

JCR
New Driver

Come on Chaps! Dodge Challenger ; Vanishing Point!!! 🙂 

JCR
New Driver

and The Bullitt Mustang! 🙂 

newcombe
Passenger

I have always loved the 67 Mustang convertible from Innerspace with Martin Short and Dennis Quaid.

MagnumSmitten
Passenger

Another “GREAT” car movie from the early 60s was “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad World” So many cars to chose from. First one to the “W” wins. 

shoulderboards
Intermediate Driver

69 Charger Daytona from the mullet movie, Joe Dirt.