cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

7 of our favorite movie cars

We love to trace the myriad ways that cars (and trucks!) permeate our culture and our lives. When we’re not documenting our own adventures or analyzing the collector market or swapping an engine in the garage, we’re digging through the never-ending treasure trove of automotive movies. Though we’ve unearthed some obscure titles in recent months, our own Brad Phillips and Colin Comer decided to spend some time debating the all-time greats movie cars in a recent livestream.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/7-of-our-favorite-movie-cars/

140 REPLIES 140
Historian
Detailer

That sexy American Graffiti Coupe!

KeninFL
New Driver

Pork Pie Hat. Pretty good movie, but fantastic if you like Mini's. BMW must be over the moon with this film. Even Mini Club of NZ has a role.

The Wick Mustang is a predictable cliche.

biggem
Pit Crew

The 1949 Buick  Roadmaster  Drop-top from Rain Man !

JohnGalt
Pit Crew

Man with the Golden Gun????? AMC Hornet X cordscrew jump (CGI BTW)

millionthuser
Navigator

Not very famous, but the black Lincoln Continental of the first Matrix should be here too.

Alikat51
Intermediate Driver

C-1 Corvette from Hot Rods From Hell and the C-3 left hand drive from Corvette Summer. are both missed. The list can go on forever, but you guys did do a good job getting everyone thinking!

Carrera
Passenger

Ok.. I know this is for fun but as Car movies, and Movie cars, go there are more! l love "Two Lane Blacktop" and "Bullitt" too!, BUT.. nobody has yet mentioned Sean Connery's DB5 (Goldfinger) or the ORIGINAL, and never bettered, "Italian Job" opening scene of the Miura in the Swiss Alps. Matt Monroe's "On days like these" accompanies the sound of the Lamborghini V12 through mountain roads which today are cluttered with tour buses full of Japaneses tourists and which will never be the same again! Fantastic !! (Search "Italian Job Miura")

Bulldog58
Passenger

You left out us older folks again.. How about Robert Mitchum's '50 and '57 Fords in "Thunder Road."  Or, the 1949 Merc, driven by James Dean, in "Rebel Without a Cause."

TomCam
Navigator

I agree on the 57 fliplid in Thunder Road.

Buckshot
Pit Crew

The Charger from Dirty Mary Crazy Larry.

1980TransAm
Passenger

What about the Fiberweed van from Up in Smoke ?!?!

69w30-442-conv
Passenger

The Jag E-Type  Hearse from Harold and Maude. 70 442 from Demolition Man. Black On Black MOPAR from Phantasm. 69 Corvette Custom from Corvette Summer with Mark Hamil. All the cars in American Graffiti especially Jon Milners 32 Deuce Coupe. The "Death Mobile" from Animal House. Frankenstein's Vette in the original Death Race.

Okey78
Intermediate Driver

Stuntman Mike's Chevy Nova and Dodge Charger, and Kim, Zoe, and Abernathy's Vanishing Point Dodge Challenger in Death Proof.  "You wanna get hot?"

Okey78
Intermediate Driver

Tippi Hedren's Aston Martin DB 2/4 Drophead in The Birds may not be the most famous Aston Martin in movie history, but it's in the best movie ever to feature an Aston Martin.

Okey78
Intermediate Driver

The Leslie Special and the Hannibal 8.  "Max!!!"

Hal
Pit Crew

I’d love to know what ever happened to Kookie’s hot rod from 77 sunset strip. It was only featured in a few of the earlier episodes. It really was a gorgeous piece of work. 

Mainbearing
New Driver

Thanks for not choosing Eleanor...after what they did to B is for Build on YouTube for trying to make his own tribute its last on my list

ve3hzz
Pit Crew

There are a couple of cars that make sense here. Most however are obscure and way many more good examples. For true CAR GUYs there are so many more good examples and the list of those would be top 25. Oh and no one cares about most of these...I have never given them a second thought...your list is to say the least..weird!

IF it has wheels I'm into it!!
hemiguy
Passenger

love this, ths

C6-Z51
Passenger

This is course is a subjective list created for fun, so there is no "correct" answer, right? For the most part, that would be true, except....  No list will be accepted that does not include Steve McQueen's Mustang from "Bullit".  McQueen oozes cool, and the movie has the definitive car chase of all time. (Honorable mention to "Ronin," which owes a debt to Bullit.)  Anyway, thanks for sharing. PS: Could I get a ride in the Cobra please? I will happily fly out...

BossGreg
Intermediate Driver

Thunderbird from Thelma and Louise. Flies into the Grand Canyon and has been seen at Petersen with out a scratch. You also see the actresses are doing just fine also. Try that with your car and see how that goes( Don't actually).I have never been able to figure out it's color if it is an awesome rare green or an aqua/ turquoise.

51JaguarC-type
Pit Crew

What about the Aston Martin DB5 in several of the James Bond movies.

Billthecat707
Detailer

As Brandon said,like many articles here"they are fishing for comments". And the community comes through. Love this part of Hagerty, the passion ,knowledge, memories of the participants. Some of my favorites: Burt's Trans Am, the Milner coupe and Falfa 55, the Cobra, Daytona, and Camaro from Gumball. Bullit's Mustang and Charger and the Audi,etc. from Ronin for the awesome chase scenes. Remembering the driver's eye of the Ferrari hammering through Paris still gives me chills.

kevind
Passenger

How about the Camaro from Aloha Bobby and Rose? I remember two things about that movie: The Camaro and the song Benny and the Jets!

dfh4jesus
Passenger

Wasn't there a beautiful 1966 convertible, Ford Thunderbird roadster in Thelma & Louise that should have made this list?

KimHaislip
Navigator

The John Wick mustang is really a 69 GT.  We are having a retro mod one built right now using a 2012 GT 

CS
Passenger

How about the Porsche 928 from ScarFace, Weird Science, and Risky business.  

Yes, I'm a Porsche 928 guy....LOL!

DJSS
New Driver

Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am, Thelma and Louise T-Bird. 

rickmoul77TA
Passenger

What about the '77 Bandit T/A . I bought one in the fall of '77 and still have it in showroom condition. A corny but classic car movie

hellonwheels
Passenger

Detective Marion Cobretti's awesome '50 Merc'!

christiancowboy
Navigator

Back to the future? Really? How could that not be on the list but the Devil's Mercedes is?

Dundass
Navigator

1978 Dodge Sportsman Ambulance from The Cannonball Run. It was the real deal, built by and Hal Needham and raced in the real Cannonball Baker Memorial trophy Dash by Needham and Brock Yates.

hearsedriver
Intermediate Driver

one thing that no one mentioned. for all these cars that feature large in the story lines, what about all the vintage and antique cars that hollywierd has destroyed on screen? same as on TV. i see a movie or program that destroys a vintage vehicle, i never watch it again. why support the idiots.

Sgvette
Passenger

Well-crafted article. Interesting choices, some a bit under the radar while clearly ignoring many of the obvious choices to get people to comment. I actually tend to dislike cars that are famous for being in movies... I used to love DeLorean until it became an icon for a stupid movie. I actually have a movie car now, a red Ferrari 308. Probably an icon for 3 different movie/TV shows (Cannonball Run, Vacation and Magnum) I actually had to put those negatives aside to buy the car, which I enjoy a great deal.

Dad_jokes
Pit Crew

That’s hilarious man. The entitled hipster millennial version of “I liked them when they were on Discord, now they’re sellouts”. 

CaptainRocket
Pit Crew

The car from the movie “The Car.”

Sg18951
Passenger

You just can’t leave out the Lincoln Continental from Animal House... better known as the “Deathmobile”!

Dad_jokes
Pit Crew

Black Hemicuda from Phantasm?

Guitar74
Gearhead

That was Phantasm 2. The original Phantasm Cuda was a 340 four speed. BOTH cars were AWESOME!

Guitar74
Gearhead

Here's My list:

1. Bullitt Mustang GT390

2.Bullitt Charger R/T

3. Vanishing Point Challenger

4.Two Lane Blacktop/American Graffiti '55 150 (Yes it is the same car in both films)

5.Phantasm Cuda (you pick which one because they ALL had great E bodies)

6. Eleanor from the ORGINAL Gone in 60 Seconds

7. Max's Falcon XB

8. Any of the Hollywood Knights hero cars (and the Robert Wahl farting scene at the pep rally)

9.  '50 Merc from the Stallone movie Cobra

10. Every car in Barnaby Jones (just kidding nobody needs that many mid 70s LTDs. And that's coming from a '76 LTD owner)

11. GTO from My Science Project (Along with Dennis Hopper coming back from the 60s dressed as Billy from Easyrider "It's a funky Valley High, man!")

12. The '58 Impala Ronnie Howard drove (which in my opinion was the best looking of ALL of the American Graffiti cars. Just a georgeous car)

13. '51 Merc from American Graffiti

Britspcars
New Driver

Look, there’s no rule in getting this “right” but James Bonds DB5 isn’t even mentioned?
Wow..just wow.