cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

7 fabrication tools that belong in your garage

You're more likely to replace a part than to repair it, but at some point your DIY journey will require you either to create something from scratch or to modify a piece for the perfect fit. Welcome to basic fabrication. It's a wonderful thing to practice and become good at.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/7-fabrication-tools-that-belong-in-your-garage/
131 REPLIES 131
Sajeev
Community Manager

@livemeyer2 it's a technical glitch in our software, please don't think we are doing this on purpose. We are bleeping upset about it, too! 

DUB6
Racer

It's obvious that there is a technical glitch, @Sajeev - and I think I may have the answer: have your IT trouble-**bleep**; **@@#!!**bleep**.

That **bleep**!

livemeyer2
Pit Crew

Another key tool in my workshop is a dual wheel grinder. One side can grind metal down to **bleep** from parts, especially screws.
livemeyer2
Pit Crew

Oh, I give UP!
Michellehrand
Pit Crew

**bleep** metal brake.
Waterboy1KHY80
Detailer

Kyle, I think you nailed it. Everyone of these is a must in my book, and you taught me something, I had never seen one of those drill block alignment jigs, slick! I use my drill press in an attempt to drill a straight aligned hole but, I could see where this could be very handy. Happy warmish weather (finally).
Tinkerah
Engineer

He didn't mention it in the article but that drill guide has a "V" on the bottom to enable drilling through round stock.
Ironworker1955
Pit Crew

I have all these and a lot more as I am a retired Local 1 Ironworker Chicago 🇱🇷
bblhed
Instructor

Having a trusted professional machine **bleep** something.
bblhed
Instructor

s-h-o-p to make parts for you when there is no other way.
Sajeev
Community Manager

@bblhed nicely done, you are making bleep out of these bleep

Tinkerah
Engineer

The one tool that can do absolutely everything, and costs so little is my trusty **bleep**.
DUB6
Racer

Best comment of the day!  🤣  It got me laughing my BLEEP off, that's for sure!

Do tell...

Let me show you my trusty **Bleep**.
TonyT
Technician

May I suggest a working credit card?
GTBradley
Pit Crew

I saw the hand held bandsaw mentioned and wanted to add to that. I built my own car, an FFR Cobra, and so I do a lot of fabrication. The HF heavy duty, hand held bandsaw is perfect for someone that doesn’t want to waste money or floor space on a large one. It has power and a large throat, and it makes quick work of jobs over a hack saw. I mounted mine in a homebuilt stand for the bench and I absolutely use the **bleep** out of that thing!

As far as reading all this way down goes, I continue reading because I pick up tips and tricks where I can. Thanks all.
RG440
Technician

As always….Great Article, great advise… on this end using cardboard all the time for templates saves time and is always available. Also for $30 Vaughn has a hickory handle hard/soft hammer with replaceable heads that was one of the best investments ever made. Google “A25A Hammer” and you can thank me later. The hammer is so precise in what your trying to accomplish it saves a comment section full of **BLEEPS**
Sajeev
Community Manager

@RG440 sorry about the bleeping out of a word (or words) in your response, we are working on a bleeping fix for this bleep. Please bear with us. 

RG440
Technician

Not only is the hammer a great tool, it has a hickory handle and is US made. No need to apologize as I added the **BLEEPS** on this end by typing -**-B-L-E-E-P-S-**- so please don’t use this post as an issue on your end
Sajeev
Community Manager

I love it, and thank you for the clarification. This problem is bleeping maddening, but I am glad to see you are making lemonade out of these bleeps. 

38Chevy454
Intermediate Driver

Sawzall is a great tool for more serious fabrication. Hand portable band saw is useful, but for some jobs the sawzall is the one to use.

Cardboard Aided Design is the low budget CAD.

CP66
Detailer

I was expecting some earth-shattering epiphany. Good to know I have plenty of these fabrication tools!
CP66
Detailer

Oh bleep.
eighthtry
Advanced Driver

Pencil?
Raven
Pit Crew

If anyone is still alive out there I suggest a large pair of GOOD channel lock pliers. They work great for grabbing into and removing stubborn BLEEPS!!
barfle
Intermediate Driver

B-L-E-E-P
miata93
Instructor

The only time I was ever **bleep**ed on The Hagerty forum was when I mentioned Ralph Lauren's real name.

61Rampy
Instructor

How can anyone do anything without an air compressor? The "oilless" ones are obnoxiously loud, but it's still better than nothing. Also, I've been using CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) for many years now.
61Rampy
Instructor

At least I didn't get **bleeped**.
Hagerty Fan
Not applicable

8. My father. 

Why my father?

He was a master fabricator...of B.S. stories to get people to buy cars from him. No story about 'fabrication' would be complete without my father (deceased, thankfully) being included. 

He was also an ornamental fabricator in that he would also come up with interesting stories concerning how much money he would blow on Christmas gifts for the family (I'm recalling a gift of a Not Transformer/Not Gobot at age 12 that he swore up and down was $200). 

Pro
New Driver

Everyone has missed the most important item; a credit card with a HUGE limit....
DUB6
Racer

Not all of us can meet the requirements nor afford such a tool as that.  I, for instance, can only dream of that... 😋