cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

7 classic trucks we'll be watching this January | Hagerty Media

Mecum's sale in Kissimmee, Florida, has become one of the premier muscle car venues in the nation, and the 2021 event (January 7-16) is shaping up to have a tremendous lineup. However, there are also plenty of pickups that will be available and some of them may scratch that same muscle-car itch.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/buying-and-selling/7-classic-trucks-well-be-watching-this-january/
38 REPLIES 38
gpsuya
Intermediate Driver

Re: 1941 Ford Fire Truck. Strange there isn't any info on the Indian, as it could be worth more than the Truck.
Sk1959
Intermediate Driver

I agree. Looks like an old Indian and in that kind of shape would bring over a hundred grand alone. I’m thinking it must be a replica just for effect.
GRP_Photo
Instructor

I'm sure you're correct. If you click on the link to the auction, there are quite a few photos. The frame tubing seems to be electrical conduit, the front fork spring clearly can't work, and the rear fender is strapped to the top of the tire with a metal band around the wheel. It's a nice effect, but it's not a motorcycle.
OldFordMan
Detailer

IMHO I think the '49 F-1 will open at your low bid estimate or even higher. May top out in 70's!
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

427 Ford pick up. Can anything be better???
TimeFixers
Pit Crew

87 silverado - great old rusty plow truck in NH!
DT
Advanced Driver

Had a 1984 Silverado 4x4 with all of the options. It wasn't worth 2 cents as a truck and the gas mileage was terrible, 8mpg in town. 10 on the road. Had no power whatsoever either. Can't imagine one being worth $75 K or even $7.5 K??
MarveH
Intermediate Driver

Every time I see a list like this I breath a sigh of relief. They still aren't on to me! Generally, when there are lists like 10 Cars We're watching at... or The 5 Cars You Want to Buy Now...they are the cars or truck I already consider beyond bargain rates.
I check these lists to see how close the value jumpers are in the rear view mirror.
Aquay_Mizmo
Intermediate Driver

ls an El Camino really a truck? The truck I am looking for is a SSR with the LS motor.
Norty24
New Driver

Did you really just say an el Camino isn't a truck, but the SSR is?
Islander
Intermediate Driver

If you're old enough to remember the ads - 'It's a car AND a truck'
Utopia1
Detailer

I'll take the '83 Toyota pickup and the '87 Chevy Silverado. Please have them delivered to my house. Thank you. 🙂
SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

Nah, without a set of KC Daylighters on the roll bar, it's not a real '80s truck. Needs a big ol' CB whip antenna too. And something's kind of "off" about the placement of those mirrors...
1956meteor
Intermediate Driver

The red 66 is awesome. I have a red 1994 Ford XL short bed that I keep out of the winter elements the best I can. It gets oil sprayed yearly and at now 28 years old and 80,000 miles it is still going strong and looking great. I am hoping the value of the md 90's trucks will be strong when they reach the 40 + year mark. I do plan to give it to my son eventually as they are both born the same year. 🙂
Geok86
Advanced Driver

Holy S**t when did an 87 square body get so valuable?!
Tim
Instructor

I know! Just because something doesn’t have a lot of miles on it shouldn’t mean it becomes worth a fortune. Or should we all prepare ourselves for a $100,000 Aztek not too long from now?
Sajeev
Community Manager

Well the Aztek wasn't nearly as popular as mainstream trucks that have been in production for decades. 

1933ford
Intermediate Driver

it didn't!
Tim
Instructor

The F1 makes me think that’s what Fred G. Sanford’s looked like before he beat it up. 😆
2Classics95N72
Intermediate Driver

I recently picked up what I call (although it wasn't in a Barn per say) a true "Barn Find". Friend of mine said he had to get rid of his Grandfathers Truck who passed away. Original owner, less than 20K miles, been parked for the past 7-10 years, covered in his garage, not driven. Still has the original tires and everything on it. I went to take a look, unbelievable, beautiful, deep green (racing green) 1985 Dodge, short bed, 6 cylinder, manual, floor shifter Ram - Prospector. I bought it, brought it home, put it in my garage wanting to drain all the fluid, new filters, plugs etc. and start her up. Well, winter hit, Covid hit (family) and I haven't got to it. I know that the 1985 Dodge Ram Prospector may not be on this list, but this is one original beauty. Plan to get it up and running and then flip it. Love my trucks.
DMcC
Intermediate Driver

Hey 2 Classic, our family has a similar '85 Dodge Ram project, 12K, floor shift, slant 6, dark green, but a long box. Our late father used this pickup on our small farm - haul hay, fire wood, animals, etc. He drove across a hay field, wrapped hay around the drive shaft and damaged the rear end's seal and it lost lube. So, rear works but it screams, and sitting idle in rural wet Oregon, light moss is growing on the paint, pack rats established condominiums in the engine compartment, and the gas is not doubt very sour. Last time it ran, the water pump or other front accessory was stuck and fan belt screamed. So it sits. The cab inside is pristine. Both rear tail lamp lenses are broken and the tail gate has dents and an errant calf pushed in the right side door. Tires are originals and the hub caps are present. And I am 900 miles away and travel limited due to Covid. Oh well. I can hope. Best wishes with your efforts.
JACY
Pit Crew

Why isn't lot number S-277 on this Mecum list,1956 Ford F-100,fresh frame off resto Black/Burgundy leather
1967 327 Corvette L-79, IFS,A/C etc.etc., The most sought after fat fender pickup there is ?
Postie-13
Pit Crew

This article is one of the reasons that I am reconsidering my relationship with Hagerty. You publish an article from Mecum Auctions, with "their" projected values.
A 1987 Chevrolet pick up, valued between $70,000 and $85,000!
Who are they kidding.
$45,000 to $50,000 for a C10 pre-1972 Chevrolet pick up; another joke.
Why do you present articles with these "ridiculous" values? Are you telling your readers that, should something happen to your 1987 pick up, you should receive $70,000 if it is destroyed and written off?
Classic insurance companies are not forcing owners to obtain appraisals, from a certified appraiser. This should be mandatory, to prove that the vehicle is covered properly and accurately.
Without it, your insurance appraiser can say: "Your truck is a 1987 and the book value is $5,000.
Here is a check.
In my opinion, this is not good business, and it can give a lot of people a false sense of value.
My message to your readers: "GET YOUR CLASSIC APPRAISED!"
Pay the appropriate premium, and enjoy your ride.
NWDude
Pit Crew

Hagerty is stating just the facts. Ie Mecums “estimates”, which we all know what an auction house “estimate”means..........”hey, this is a guess based on our experience, hopes, and wishes” (clearly more to it than that, but you get the point) the only real number is the sales price, wither it is realistic, bonkers or,swinging d@*k driven is another discussion. 
So, Postie-13, what is your real issue w/Hagerty? Help me understand 

Colodoog
Pit Crew

Thunderbird engine, tilt wheel, after market wheels, etc. I don't think it is any longer a 66 F100. Nice hot rod though.
mwmyers91
Detailer

Well shame on me, but the El-C0 jumped out at me as a awesome classic driver. Looks great has A/C small block with auto trans and lets face it guys.... you ain't gonna be haulin manure in any one of these "trucks".
mwmyers91
Detailer

I ment Big Block
chrlsful
Instructor

I have my own definition of "classic" (it has not included trucks, but Y not?...it does now). If thinking of trucks the T, the Hudson '42/6 super 6 (big boy), the Camino (chevy) and other early models. Nothing from the '60s certainly. Altho if U stretch the idea and say "icons' (model changers) the 1st mini truck(s), the 1st truck-ized car, ideas along these lines? Still certainly not "classics" in the original meaning...
Gary
Intermediate Driver

A thunderbird spec 427. I know they used the 428 and the 429 in the thunderbirds but you will have to fill me in on when Ford put a 427 in their thunderbirds. Thanks
1933ford
Intermediate Driver

This is two in row for Mecum!!! I suspect Brandan Gillogly is being paid by Mecum for this or at the very least Hagerty is providing free advertising not to mention the inflated values being assigned to these vehicles. Come on Hagerty you can do better than this or watch your readership slowly decline. Shame!
Oldsmobile1988
Pit Crew

I agree with 1933ford. Brandon must be on Mecum's payroll. These values are extremely over inflated. Is Hagerty in the insurance business or the advertising business for Mecum? I insure 12 classic cars with Hagerty. Maybe it's time to look elsewhere. Is anyone approving these articles that Brandon is writing? Where is McKeal Hagerty?? Completely disgusted!!! Hagerty should not be publishing Mecum's over-inflated, estimated values. Shame on Hagerty.
Tcoradeschi
Intermediate Driver

Sorry. Not one of them is worth these kinds of dollars. Not even close.
carguyjim
Detailer

Yes, these values are clearly wishful and inaccurate...I wonder why? Higher cost to insure possibly? I dunno !!?
Oldsmobile1988
Pit Crew

Sorry for the misspelled names in my earlier post. McKeel Hagerty & Brandan Gillogly In my frustration to this article I didn't spell check there names. For that I apologize!! For everything else I posted this article deeply disturbs Me!!! To all of you at Hagerty stick to what best insurance not advertising. Cheers
Zephyr
Instructor

Most of these just look like ordinary everyday used cars to me.
Pdxcarguy
Intermediate Driver

Personally I think acouple of the auction house estimates are... Shall we say... "ambitious"...

100k / 125k for a 1966 Ford Ttuck? For that kind of money, I'd think a rare 427 Side-Oiler would be under the hood...

And 70k to 85k for a stock 1987 Chevy truck? "Low miles" or not, I dont see that kind of value...
Crusty
Pit Crew

I have a couple of bridges in San Franscisco I'd like to sell. I wonder if the good folks at Mecum might consider auctioning them for me?
SAG
Detailer

Shame on Me.
Can't count the # of "Early_Mid '60" Ford PU I've scraped for parts.