cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

7 barn finds emerging for sale this week, from Boss 429 to Porsche 356 | Hagerty Media

Who doesn't love a good barn find? Throwing open the doors to find a dust-covered classic is our hobby's version of uncovering buried treasure. RM Sotheby's has seven pieces of such treasure up for grabs through its "Open Roads, March" online auction this week.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/rm-sothebys-2021-march-open-roads-7-barn-finds/
53 REPLIES 53
Flashman
Instructor

I love your honesty in describing these jewels.
bhankinsonn
Intermediate Driver

Will be interesting to see how these sell, they all look like way to much work or money for me.
Punk
Detailer

Agreed; even doing it yourself will likely cost you more in parts and pain than the finished product would be worth. Maybe that's why they've sat for so long?
Dave404
Detailer

Nothing there worth my time or money.
dirkfathom
Intermediate Driver

this seems like a collection of black hole projects, most of which have little hope of recouping their costs. Not that finances are the only reason to take on a project, but none of these are close to being no brainers.
TonyT
Instructor

You sparked an idea! "Welcome to Black Hole Restorations! Where Time And Money Never Stops!"
kip
Intermediate Driver

I see a lot of resto-mods happening with these. To restore to factory will take a lot of cash, and if original motor isn't there, well... Sad to say, but I see some shop dropping LS or FoMoCo crate engines in a few of these and making some franken-cars. I think they are way high on the estimates. Example, lots of good, running, and driving Tr6s on the market right now for a few grand over the estimate.
CJinSD
Advanced Driver

The problem is that if you're going to resto-mod many of these, why not just start with a low option car that costs a tenth as much in the same condition, or a third as much in infinitely better condition?

The TR-6 looks like an easy refurb, but it will be a silly person indeed who pays more than five or six grand to take on the task.
Miketheump
Pit Crew

1969 was stationed in Berlin and bought a 1956 356A Speedster for $500, shipped it home and blew the engine, decided to sell it and get a new car. One of worst decisions I ever made, still have all the paperwork from Germany, ID number and bill of sale, wonder whatever happened to it. Maybe I'll start to try and see if it's still alive.
Solosolo
Intermediate Driver

The Triumph TR 6 is the only one worth saving in my opinion.
CJinSD
Advanced Driver

Maybe the Cyclone deserves a serious look at half the money.
25aniv
Intermediate Driver

I don't see any of these remotely as "good buys" at those head in the clouds estimates.
Looking at the group, the Cyclone may be the one of any reasonable value if the intent was to restore any of these. It certainly will still be a money pit don't get me wrong. The TR6 is (appears) the most complete but how much profit would that bring after some work and a resale? The Boss without it's drivetrain and a Ferrari body aren't worth the time. Both are missing what makes them special and to put anything into either would be madness. Shop the non-auction places and there are better deals...and cars to be found.
speed6
New Driver

Wash them. Seriously. The grime does nothing. The TR6 washed and detailed might bring the pre-sale estimate.
Tim
Instructor

They are afraid that washing them will expose more flaws and scare away the clueless deep-pocket buyers who imagine these need only a wash and a few parts to make them high-value gems. Besides, washing them removes that dream of a special car that's been in hiding for a long time. It's that kind of marketing that pulls more dollars from wallets.
Studenorton
Advanced Driver

I often suspect that a perfect coat of barn dust is added to not-so-bad cars, just as antique vendors used to take chain flails to all Geo.Washington's supposed furniture in upstate NY. It adds that "Roadshow" layer of romance and mystery.
Lightning1
Detailer

Most look like the classic story "Started the restoration, ran out of time and $, lost a lot of parts, let it rust and ripen a little more, saw one sell on auction for huge money and then decided they have a gold mine in the old shed". The TR6 may be the only one salvageable! The Ferrari will get a LS chevy. The others will be parts donors.
TG
Advanced Driver

I have seen a lot of these types of projects end at 'ran out of interest'. It is fun and easy to run out and buy an old car, it's fun to start taking it apart. Putting it back together and getting it all to work right is a whole other animal a lot of folks don't have the stomach for
Iso_Grifo
Advanced Driver

Boss 429 and 356 might be okay buys for somebody who owns a car restoration shop specializing in them. Otherwise these are endless bank account draining nightmares for somebody who has to pay retail for all that labour and big money unicorn parts. The Ferrari is pointless. Uninspired design as a display piece? Don't think so. The others might be worthwhile for the right price.
bblhed
Detailer

it would be quicker and cost less to just buy a brand new car and hold it until it becomes a collectable car.
F360Spider
Detailer

Jeez, what a collection of junkers.
OHCOddball
Intermediate Driver

None will probably recoup the $ put in, assuming a quality job is done and not a cheap flip. Anyone who goes into the car hobby thinking they are going to make a killing is deluded, or they are hoping to find a sucker with too much money and there are plenty of those. Just look at some of the auction prices. You do these cars because you love them.
tahend
Detailer

Unfortunately, the Boss 429 is more for someone who can do the work themselves. If you can afford to drop it off at a shop and have it restored, you're better off buying one already done. It will be a lot cheaper.
Blade123
New Driver

The only car here worth the starting price is the TR6 . The others are way out for a serious offer. Only other of interest is the Boss Mustang 429, but $60,000 without the original motor as a start point no no no. Yes RestoMod just to get some money back. Buy a 2012 2013 Boss for $35,000 or any late model GT for $10,000 & you have a better car & miles a head.

mwmyers91
Detailer

Oh man, there is just something about a project car that electrify's my wheelhouse.
Hodag
New Driver

I've been trying to get a car show put together with barn finds or your latest project. More people will talk about a project then see the same old classic restored. It would make a great show and the people would invest time into each restoration there.
Copbait73
New Driver

These cars are going to make several restoration shops very happy.
The PreA ‘53 Porsche will be worth putting money into.
merlebalke
Detailer

Mate the Ferrari to a Roadster Shop chassis. LS power of course.
JBClark
New Driver

Like, most have said, you'll never recoup the restoration costs.
Rockem
Intermediate Driver

What happened to the love of a dream car. Collectors buy a car because they have a passion for it.I do believe the prices listed are high. So you get the one you want,for a reasonably price,put it in your garage and build it a little at a time,when you can afford it.Even if it takes ten years,the prices there getting for these types of cars isn't going down. Call it your long term investment.
Tim
Instructor

Isn't how these ended up in barns? Someone had the idea that they would fix these cars up over time--maybe a few years. A few years turned into 5, 10, and after 20, someone decided to give up and sell. A buyer needs to have a solid plan to ensure he doesn't repeat the process.

TG
Advanced Driver

I would say that by the time you get the 7th or 8th half-disassembled car accumulating dust in your barn it is probably time to start looking into golf as a hobby
LamboEd
Intermediate Driver

Not sure if I would want ANY of them for FREE!!! Talk about MONEY PITS!!! That being said, I hate to see cars crushed or sitting in a barn for decades, so I hope somebody who doesn't care how much money they spend, like 10x what the car will be worth restored, I do hope somebody brings them back to life! BTW, where do you find a used BOSS 429 engine??? A crate engine is just not the same and the car will not be worth "BOSS 429" money......
1933ford
Intermediate Driver

Where are the estimates coming from ??? Hagerty? If these are reasonable - unimaginable or what P T Barnum said remains true today.
Pete27
New Driver

One of the most often asked questions of me when attending car shows is, “what’s it worth?” or “what do you think you could sell it for?”. The same “sell it” frenzy may always follow finds like this, but I look at these finds and see a possible opportunity for a person like me to maybe get to own and someday actually drive one of these pieces of automotive rarity. I do think the listed prices are a little on the optimistic side given some of the absent major components, like engines and complete drive lines. I guess having some restoration skills and a place to apply them gives me a little different perspective when I see a barn find. I absolutely love that little Porsche, how cool would it be to have the opportunity to resurrect and drive that little jewel.
JAG
Intermediate Driver

It's more interesting to think about how these ended up like this and makes you remember at one point they were all just "cars", a Mustang, a Comet, and a TR-6 and a glorified VW. Scavenging a running Ferrari to make a clone? That's what they did in the 80ties and 90ties. There are several more Daytona conv. than originally factory build, and a few less coupes!
Maestro1
Instructor

Andrew, well done.
I think they are all overpriced but I would pick the Triumph because I know where the parts are and I have a local wrench who knows these cars.
And here's a weird idea for the Ferrari: Buy the body, and put a car underneath it. Like an Art Forestman chassis, a 327 with a 5 Speed Tremec and so on. And drive it. You will freak everybody out, and the cost to do it will be irrational. Don't forget the Barroni wire wheels. You will want to be externally authentic.
To Hagerties: The 327 engine for the Impala in the Barn is delayed due to supply issues, mostly on
account of the epidemic and other issues. The 283/Powerglide that the car came with is out and on the floor. They are very tired. I am not believing 67,000 plus indicated on the odometer. I would lean towards 167,000 miles or more. It doesn't matter. It will be gone this afternoon. Not the car, the drive line.
We've been vaccinated twice now, coming up on two weeks after the inoculation. All of you get your shots, and stay well.
AG1962
Detailer

And people wonder why younger folks are not getting into the hobby in larger numbers...
Wedgehead
Pit Crew

80 thousand dollars for a mustang with no engine,no transmission,no rearend and needs a total resto? Seems way to high!
sharkguy48
Intermediate Driver

Under the best of circumstances, the Porsche and the Ferrari might be worth something. A connected seller might have some overly enthusiastic clients who just might want to undertake a "sure-to-eat-up-a-lot-of-money" project. As the saying goes, "Some people have more money than brains and it takes only one."
Chris2161
Pit Crew

You score one of these, put your heart and soul into it, (not to mention tens of thousands), and some **bleep** who was texting T-bones you and destroys it in an instant. That’s the chance you take I suppose, but I know sometimes I’m reluctant to even drive to a show. So maybe these are safer in the barn after all? Love the pictures though!
dd1
Intermediate Driver

Interesting set of vehicles. But I'm shocked as I look at the potential auction prices of these vehicles. Some are just rolling shells and yet there's a potential of selling them for tens-thousands-of-dollars! I assume (and maybe wrongly) that the only kind of person that would bid on a given model would be an expert on that particular vehicle. Unless a person really knows what they're doing they could be easily fleeced! These vehicles--with the possible exception of the TR6 --are definitely not projects for the average home mechanic or weekend "dabbler" unless you've got some serious skills and knowledge. Or let's put it this way: they are definitely beyond MY skill/knowledge/monetary threshold! But they are incredibly interesting vehicles and certainly have historical value.
dsmythe
Pit Crew

I’m getting really tired of the “barn find” or “patina look”. Give them a wash!
TG
Advanced Driver

It is amazing what someone will spend for half a car if it has the right VIN code for options that probably aren't even installed on the car anymore
There are aspects of the whole car collecting phenomenon that I think are beyond ridiculous
MYTFAST
Intermediate Driver

Absolutely no doubt that the 1970 Cyclone is the best value with the "429" super cobra jet, drag pack & what looks like a fairly good body. Great info site on this rare (341 made) super muscle car and info on the offered Hurst 4 speed. http://www.californiaclassix.com/garage/c1177.html
Tcoradeschi
Intermediate Driver

I think I'll take a pass on all of them.
OldRoad
Instructor

Both Mercs would be worthy investments especially the 67 as it looks as though most everything is there except the rear bumper body wise. I like that the drive trains are there in both. The front grill and trim on the 70 missing could present a problem in locating replacement parts. Body trim for both these Cyclones are rare finds in themselves and will add significant costs in the investment.
CentauroRider
Pit Crew

Someone that has most of the pieces (and resources) to put together any one of these fairly stripped cars MIGHT make it possible to stay within what they're worth completed but, a long shot. Someone that hoards a particular brand (e.g. Graveyard Carz) might take a stab at them? Those without the original motors and big number matching items diminish what they are. Too bad! These are way out of reality for most unfortunately! I could be wrong but.............! The auction will tell the truth!
MATTMERICA
Instructor

No worries, the porsche folks will bid that mess up until it is the #1 auction piece lol
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

All interesting cars and well worth restoring. Prices for body only cars are expensive not for the faint of heart.