cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 vintage motorcycles to buy based on your favorite car

You hang around folks who love vintage cars enough and you'll inevitably meet vintage motorcycle guy or gal. They mean well, love all things with oil pumps (and some without) but will take every opportunity to espouse the virtues of the under-appreciated vintage motorcycle world. "You can store a dozen in the space of a single Cadillac!" he or she will exclaim before shifting to extolling the virtues of the fun-per-dollar that few four-wheel contraptions can rival. Allow them to ramble. Contemplate their points. Come to your own conclusions. You now want to buy a motorcycle. I thought so. Good for you. Now what do you buy?

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/6-vintage-motorcycles-to-buy-based-on-your-favorite-car/

Replies (54)

Replies (54)

If you like old REAL British Series Land Rovers you’ll like Norton Commandos. 

New Driver

The Countach, especially in its final guise (as pictured) is an overwrought mishmash of discordant lines. The 916 is organically beautiful. A true masterpiece.  Ducati is thought of as the Ferrari of motorcycles— a much better pairing for it would be a Dino 246 gt.  And yes Kyle, I do “mean well”.

drhino_0-1595689424089.jpeg

Pit Crew

Its unfortunate that Hagerty promotes vintage motorcycles, yet won’t insure them in Canada.

Passenger

and if your love is an E-type?

only one answer will do...TEL rode the most famous one, sadly to his demise;

Pit Crew

I love the Spyker/Confederate comparison, both are very steampunk.

Hagerty Employee

Wow, you nailed me perfectly. That was a fun surprise. I have always lusted after the Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing and actually came close to acquiring one around 1973 when I was just shy of 20 (shoulda, woulda, coulda) but did not and there's quite the story attached to that decision. At least I've had the opportunity to drive one which belongs to one of my long time, very good and well-to-do customers. To get one today I might need to sell a fair part of my BMW motorcycle collection (105 and counting) which includes many rare machines going back to the R32. This collection is regularly shared with the public and clients in The Vintage BMW Motorcycle Museum located across the street from my dealership, Bob's BMW Motorcycles. Heck, maybe there's a future story here for Haggerty Members to enjoy as it's a true museum space with all the smalls, wall art, etc.  

Passenger

I own a 1987 BMW 325IS and a 1988 K75S motorcycle.  I see the similarities between the two.  Both are light, have silky smooth acceleration, great handling and braking.  Both have high quality components and are relatively easy to service and repair.  Both are great fun to drive or ride.

Intermediate Driver

So I see a lot of bikes that are not vintage or even very interesting (IMO) on this list. I have several vintage (Japanese) bikes and have many vintage cars. The pairings on most of these...well a real BIKE guy (and I am both remember) would maybe pick a couple in this list the rest...would'nt give you the time of day for...the HD and british roadster (really old ones) are a kin as they both like lots of attention and mark there spots wherever they go! Some british bikes do that too 🙂

Pit Crew

Since Hagerty insures vintage military vehicles we need a comparison.

Match any WWII jeep or truck

with a military Harley WLA or Indian 640

New Driver

I expected to see a Cushman scooter here, maybe with a Nash Metropolitan.

Pit Crew

If you like vintage Rolls Royce or Bentley, then Brough Superior is your motorcycle.

New Driver

If you like VW Beetles, you’d like a Honda 50... you meet the nicest people in both!

Pit Crew

The comments on here are proof that you just can't please everyone, even if you come up with a 100,000 coupling combinations! It's more for fun than anything else! Don't take everything so seriously! 

New Driver

Note that the BMW R69s had 42 hp, hence it could exceed 100 mph, whereas the more prosaic touring model, the R60/2, could not.  The R60/2 had 35 hp.  The R69s had the same 600cc displacement as the R60/2, but it came with a hotter camshaft, and 2mm larger carbs.  It also had a vibration dampener on its crankshaft and the crankshaft was supported by the superior barrel-shaped Superblend bearing instead of conventional caged ball-bearing.

Passenger

Most 60's choppers were Panheads, not Knuckleheads.

Passenger

One missing addition. If you like the 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS then you should get the BMW R90S

New Driver

thank you

Passenger

I dig the 57 Sportster. We like to cruise our 1996 Yamaha Virago XV-1100 V-Twin.

Passenger

Wow what a great concept, subliminally obvious if that makes any sense. The article could easily be "50 Vintage Car / Vintage Bike Pairings..." or 100 for that matter. Sounds like a permanent column on this is needed.

Passenger

Nothing for the British car lover? Shame on you.

Passenger

R90S, not R69S. 

New Driver

How about some attention paid to a 1973 AMF 125 CC Harley Davidson? Is this model an actual hummer? What would a basket case model be worth?

New Driver

on the other hand.

ive owned a Morris minor, and an Ariel 500.

4 Vauxhalls (3 vivas and a victor) and 3 Nortons (68 fastback, 68 P11A and 72 Commando)

A 68 Rover TC2000 and a 70 RE Interceptor II i traded it for.

3 Mazda trucks and two Yamahas (TY250 and TX650) and 2 hondas (CB350 and CB450)

A 95 318TI, a 98 M Roadster and an R60

and 8 Moto Guzzis, but no italian cars

New Driver

too bad the bikes listed arent vintage (except the Harleys)

New Driver

I am from Canada and I have 5 collector cars with Hagerty. I ride my 58 Harley about 300 miles a summer.  Our summers are short and our weather sucks. Why can I not get insurance from you?

Rayj

Passenger

Here was a great opportunity to compare an E type Jaguar to a 1969-74 Norton 750 Commando.  The torquey throttle response, English heritage, and worth-every-adjustment finickiness make these a perfect pair.  In the hands of a capable wrench, both will provide endless hours of stylish fun.  In 1974 I rode my 1970 Norton 10,000 miles from NY to Seattle to Sunset Beach Ca. and back to NY.  The soft glow of highly polished aluminum so much sexier than gaudy chrome, a motor aficionado would love either.

Passenger

A cool article on complimentary cars and bikes.  I would add one more:  A Datsun 240Z with a Honda 750.  Both revolutionized our thinking about Japanese motorized products.

New Driver

If you drive a Triumph (TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR3B, TR4, TR4A, TR250/TR5, TR6, TR7, TR8, Spitfire, GT6, Herald, Vitesse & more!). Then a Triumph: Bonneville, Tiger, Speed Twin, Trophy, Daytona, Thunderbird & more!  Perfect matches!

Passenger

NOW THIS IS A BIKE

plum crazy.

Triumph Trophy 500

Pit Crew

If you like 55-57 Chevrolet Pickup then you should ride the 1950's Indian Chief.

Passenger