cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff
Hagerty Employee

6 vintage motorcycles to buy based on your favorite car

You hang around folks who love vintage cars enough and you'll inevitably meet vintage motorcycle guy or gal. They mean well, love all things with oil pumps (and some without) but will take every opportunity to espouse the virtues of the under-appreciated vintage motorcycle world. "You can store a dozen in the space of a single Cadillac!" he or she will exclaim before shifting to extolling the virtues of the fun-per-dollar that few four-wheel contraptions can rival. Allow them to ramble. Contemplate their points. Come to your own conclusions. You now want to buy a motorcycle. I thought so. Good for you. Now what do you buy?

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/6-vintage-motorcycles-to-buy-based-on-your-favorite-car/

83 REPLIES 83
in_garage
Pit Crew

Good one!

Eric
Hagerty Employee

as a beetle owner and bike admirer, i am now reading a lot about the honda 50. if this spirals out of control, at least I know who to blame
Mike2
Navigator

I love the 300 SL Gullwing, and have I still have a ‘61 BMW R69S that I bought in 1970.

SirChristopher
New Driver

If you like vintage Rolls Royce or Bentley, then Brough Superior is your motorcycle.

BULLITT65
Pit Crew

I would compare Ferrari to Ducati. Maybe a Jaguar or Aston Martin to a Triumph. I am surprised no electric car to electric bike comparison? 

Zephyr
Advanced Driver

I seem to remember Harley making a small bike - I thought it was called the Sportster - that had a small displacement one cylinder engine and was mainly made for scrambles, which were popular back then. 

DT
Detailer

The only Harley Sportster I know of is the 2 cylinder that's started out at 883 cc's in 1957.

Simon
New Driver

A number of Harley-Davidson Aermacchi Singles we’re produced. To my knowledge none were called Sportster. Several four-stroke Sprints for on-road; two-stroke Rapido, Baja, etc. for off-road.

rrengineer
Passenger

I have three vintage British sports cars and a Harley Davidson Heritage Springer.  I guess I am bucking your trend.

rick8928
New Driver

The 2020 Royal Enfield is "just a wee bit outside" the vintage time period.

Caribbeanrob
Navigator

great to read about vintage bikes. 

feed us more!

Wolfy
Passenger

If you like 55-57 Chevrolet Pickup then you should ride the 1950's Indian Chief.

Joncarmel
Pit Crew

NOW THIS IS A BIKE

plum crazy.

Triumph Trophy 500

TRSpit
Passenger

If you drive a Triumph (TR2, TR3, TR3A, TR3B, TR4, TR4A, TR250/TR5, TR6, TR7, TR8, Spitfire, GT6, Herald, Vitesse & more!). Then a Triumph: Bonneville, Tiger, Speed Twin, Trophy, Daytona, Thunderbird & more!  Perfect matches!

Simon
New Driver

A great pairing would be to drive a Triumph Spitfire and ride a BSA Spitfire. 😜 But I drive a Triumph Spitfire (and IIA Landy) and ride a Norton Commando. I think it’s THE best combo. 😊👍 

pterodactyl
New Driver

A cool article on complimentary cars and bikes.  I would add one more:  A Datsun 240Z with a Honda 750.  Both revolutionized our thinking about Japanese motorized products.

stooky
Passenger

Here was a great opportunity to compare an E type Jaguar to a 1969-74 Norton 750 Commando.  The torquey throttle response, English heritage, and worth-every-adjustment finickiness make these a perfect pair.  In the hands of a capable wrench, both will provide endless hours of stylish fun.  In 1974 I rode my 1970 Norton 10,000 miles from NY to Seattle to Sunset Beach Ca. and back to NY.  The soft glow of highly polished aluminum so much sexier than gaudy chrome, a motor aficionado would love either.

Rayj
New Driver

I am from Canada and I have 5 collector cars with Hagerty. I ride my 58 Harley about 300 miles a summer.  Our summers are short and our weather sucks. Why can I not get insurance from you?

Rayj

petersalt
Intermediate Driver

talk to your provincial govt. about insurance regulation ... Hagerty would if they could.

Mochajohn
New Driver

too bad the bikes listed arent vintage (except the Harleys)

Mochajohn
New Driver

oops. and the BMW. 

Mochajohn
New Driver

on the other hand.

ive owned a Morris minor, and an Ariel 500.

4 Vauxhalls (3 vivas and a victor) and 3 Nortons (68 fastback, 68 P11A and 72 Commando)

A 68 Rover TC2000 and a 70 RE Interceptor II i traded it for.

3 Mazda trucks and two Yamahas (TY250 and TX650) and 2 hondas (CB350 and CB450)

A 95 318TI, a 98 M Roadster and an R60

and 8 Moto Guzzis, but no italian cars

Pioneer27185
Pit Crew

How about some attention paid to a 1973 AMF 125 CC Harley Davidson? Is this model an actual hummer? What would a basket case model be worth?

Dad_jokes
Pit Crew

R90S, not R69S. 

mwmyers91
Detailer

I expected to see a Cushman scooter here, maybe with a Nash Metropolitan.

in_garage
Pit Crew

Since Hagerty insures vintage military vehicles we need a comparison.

Match any WWII jeep or truck

with a military Harley WLA or Indian 640

in_garage
Pit Crew

Glad site can handle pictures!

Passenger

Nothing for the British car lover? Shame on you.

dscottd
Passenger

Wow what a great concept, subliminally obvious if that makes any sense. The article could easily be "50 Vintage Car / Vintage Bike Pairings..." or 100 for that matter. Sounds like a permanent column on this is needed.

ve3hzz
Pit Crew

So I see a lot of bikes that are not vintage or even very interesting (IMO) on this list. I have several vintage (Japanese) bikes and have many vintage cars. The pairings on most of these...well a real BIKE guy (and I am both remember) would maybe pick a couple in this list the rest...would'nt give you the time of day for...the HD and british roadster (really old ones) are a kin as they both like lots of attention and mark there spots wherever they go! Some british bikes do that too 🙂

IF it has wheels I'm into it!!
69SST67GT350PAX
Passenger

I dig the 57 Sportster. We like to cruise our 1996 Yamaha Virago XV-1100 V-Twin.

Passenger

thank you

SteveNL
Intermediate Driver

I own a 1987 BMW 325IS and a 1988 K75S motorcycle.  I see the similarities between the two.  Both are light, have silky smooth acceleration, great handling and braking.  Both have high quality components and are relatively easy to service and repair.  Both are great fun to drive or ride.

originalbob
Passenger

Wow, you nailed me perfectly. That was a fun surprise. I have always lusted after the Mercedes Benz 300SL Gullwing and actually came close to acquiring one around 1973 when I was just shy of 20 (shoulda, woulda, coulda) but did not and there's quite the story attached to that decision. At least I've had the opportunity to drive one which belongs to one of my long time, very good and well-to-do customers. To get one today I might need to sell a fair part of my BMW motorcycle collection (105 and counting) which includes many rare machines going back to the R32. This collection is regularly shared with the public and clients in The Vintage BMW Motorcycle Museum located across the street from my dealership, Bob's BMW Motorcycles. Heck, maybe there's a future story here for Haggerty Members to enjoy as it's a true museum space with all the smalls, wall art, etc.