cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff
Hagerty Employee

6 vintage motorcycles to buy based on your favorite car

You hang around folks who love vintage cars enough and you'll inevitably meet vintage motorcycle guy or gal. They mean well, love all things with oil pumps (and some without) but will take every opportunity to espouse the virtues of the under-appreciated vintage motorcycle world. "You can store a dozen in the space of a single Cadillac!" he or she will exclaim before shifting to extolling the virtues of the fun-per-dollar that few four-wheel contraptions can rival. Allow them to ramble. Contemplate their points. Come to your own conclusions. You now want to buy a motorcycle. I thought so. Good for you. Now what do you buy?

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/6-vintage-motorcycles-to-buy-based-on-your-favorite-car/

83 REPLIES 83
Brandan
Hagerty Employee

I love the Spyker/Confederate comparison, both are very steampunk.

Chazoo
New Driver

Will the Confederate need to undergo a name change so soon after the last name change??

bobby5cans
New Driver

Confederate: Racist motorcycle. 

JohnGalt
Pit Crew

The name was changed to Curtis in 2017. Beautiful ebikes now.

https://www.curtissmotorcycles.com/

dreamingeagle
Detailer

and if your love is an E-type?

only one answer will do...TEL rode the most famous one, sadly to his demise;

sesom
Passenger

But if one had to go out, why not on a Vincent?

Aaron
Pit Crew

If the question is why didn't T.E. Lawrence die on a Vincent, the answer is that the Vincent did not into production until well after Lawrence was dead. He, as we all (maybe not quite all) know, died on a Brough Superior. 

steen49
Passenger

Vincent?  Nope. He died on a Brough Superior.

Andyreid
New Driver

One missing addition. If you like the 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS then you should get the BMW R90S

DC
Intermediate Driver

And yet the world’s fastest

production bike ( Hayabusa )not mentioned?

Pilott
Pit Crew

And that would be obviously paired with the world's fastest production car, the ________________________________ .    

McNeat
Pit Crew

Its unfortunate that Hagerty promotes vintage motorcycles, yet won’t insure them in Canada.

Caribbeanrob
Navigator

I have 14 vintage bikes.

only 1 vintage car.

Too bad you can't get it right for me.

ve3hzz
Pit Crew

agreed!!! We get Dalton Timmins with there insistance you get an appraisal every other year it seems and still there rates are CRAP!! Vintage bikes..yeah start selling Vintage bike insurance in Canada direct...

IF it has wheels I'm into it!!
richreed701
Pit Crew

Usually I love these articles and leave favorable comments.  Not this time.  No.  No way. Nope.  Noppity-nope.  Uh-uh.  Sorry, I just can't see any connection between the mentioned autos and bikes other than country of origin.  And you could have at least posted a photo of a VINTAGE Royal Enfield rather than a 2020 model.   I realize in these days of quarantine and social distancing it's difficult to come up with car stories, but this one was really reaching.  Just re-run some old stories if you get stuck.  90% of us read them with our first coffee in the AM anyway so we wouldn't remember we've seen them before.  

DrHess
New Driver

Most 60's choppers were Panheads, not Knuckleheads.

DT
Advanced Driver

In my area more knuckleheads. There seemed to be at least one in every old barn and were a dime a dozen. A good Panhead brought a premium price back in 1965. 

david80
Passenger

Why not an Indian decked out Western style? Or a Harley Hog based on those older dudes (like me) who like Series 75 Cadillacs?

Stokeydude
Passenger

My choice for “The” motorcycle to own, hands down is a fully restored or better yet an all original Vincent Black Shsdow!

backin72
New Driver

The pictures of the Land Rover SHOULD be paired with a Triumph T120, in almost any configuration, from TT to custom built "desert rat"

Simon
New Driver

Only if the Landy pictured was a Series, not one of the new things.

gggdds
Pit Crew

I disagree with coupling the Sportster to a Camero.  In the end, the Camero is a pony car that doesn't do anything really well.  The Sportster's best compared to an AC Cobra:   Raw, throaty, powerful and not really that practical, but great to be seen on or in...

Desmo
New Driver

You might agree with coupling a Camaro to a Sporster .

bobby5cans
New Driver

I don't know about that. A Harley doesn't do anything really well either, but maybe cost more than it's worth! 

MS
Passenger

Well Hagerty, hows about offering some advice to approach capricious and arbitrary City authorities leaning HEAVY on Hot Rod builders being cited (!!!!) for pursuing their hobby in their driveways? 
Cities everywhere are using heavy-handed Code Citations with threats of HUGE fines ($1,000 day???) for working outside..... can’t always pull a half-restored vehicle inside every night, but you sure can park a behemoth boat, trailer, or other DEAD CRAP and no one says a word....!

Not good, not fair-

Michael Salatino 

San Diego

MS
Passenger

Ok Hagerty.... how about some direction how to deal with cities using capricious and arbitrary Code Citations to cite hot rod hobbyists pursuing their work in their own private driveway?

Seems its ok to park a huge boat, trailer, monster motorhome On the lawn, or a load of crap but working on your car hobby is NOT ok...?!?

Mike

San Diego 

Daniel
New Driver

Leave that city.

DT
Advanced Driver

You live in CA !!! What else would you expect ????

Desmo
New Driver

Comparing the Countach with the 916 Ducati is absurd. This absurdity is compounded by saying the Ducati was an example of "form over function". The Ducati went on to win multiple superbike world championships, the Countach was too big and fat to ever race.

montereyscott
Passenger

1978 Yamaha XS 650 and I982 Corvette ...

Aquay_Mizmo
Intermediate Driver

I think an X-code 1st gen AMX and the Kawasaki H1 Mach III.  Both were small vehicles with world class power, handled like a shopping cart, and had no brakes.

Simon
New Driver

If you like old REAL British Series Land Rovers you’ll like Norton Commandos. 

in_garage
Pit Crew

Yeah this article should only have been about older vehicles. Commando is a great choice paired up with a 60s, early 70s British something. Made in England!

Vincent Black Shadow if a generation earlier.

jjandersen
Passenger

I agree with the Norton (one of my favorites) but also a Triumph or BSA are also wonderful British bikes.

Lemayph55
Passenger

Do two Harley's but no Indian?  Really?!?

Lemayph55
Passenger

So two Harley's but no Indian?!? Really missed on this one.  

GMAN
Passenger

That was fun!

drhino
Instructor

The Countach, especially in its final guise (as pictured) is an overwrought mishmash of discordant lines. The 916 is organically beautiful. A true masterpiece.  Ducati is thought of as the Ferrari of motorcycles— a much better pairing for it would be a Dino 246 gt.  And yes Kyle, I do “mean well”.

drhino_0-1595689424089.jpeg

turborat
New Driver

Ah yes.  My high school prom night car a friend allowed to borrow.  I gave him my Ford Capri MK I for the weekend as trade.  

NormL
Passenger

Note that the BMW R69s had 42 hp, hence it could exceed 100 mph, whereas the more prosaic touring model, the R60/2, could not.  The R60/2 had 35 hp.  The R69s had the same 600cc displacement as the R60/2, but it came with a hotter camshaft, and 2mm larger carbs.  It also had a vibration dampener on its crankshaft and the crankshaft was supported by the superior barrel-shaped Superblend bearing instead of conventional caged ball-bearing.

TLP
Passenger

Very interesting ! Wish I had my 72 Superglide back & 1950 HD Panhead !

bobby5cans
New Driver

What if I like Yugo's? 

turborat
New Driver

Tomos D9

Beelyd
Passenger

Ural with a sidecar, it has enough grunt to tow the Yugo

bobby5cans
New Driver

The comments on here are proof that you just can't please everyone, even if you come up with a 100,000 coupling combinations! It's more for fun than anything else! Don't take everything so seriously! 

RSHMottoGuzzi
Pit Crew

if you like a 1950's Oldsmobile Rocket 88 S, you will like a Moto Guzzi Stone.

KenO
Pit Crew

WOW! 
My Uncle had the 300SL Gullwing.
I had the 1965 BMW R69S - loved it ...

TheAutotorium
Passenger

This Jaguar owners appreciates a vintage Triumph

MrKnowItAll
Detailer

If you like VW Beetles, you’d like a Honda 50... you meet the nicest people in both!