cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

6 slick bargains from the 2021 January Auctions | Hagerty Media

The January Auctions were very different this year. Some longstanding sales didn't take place at all. Even so, it was a very busy month with 2239 vehicles sold between Mecum Kissimmee (the world's largest collector car auction), Mecum's "Muscle Car City" auction, and the four auctions usually held live in the Scottsdale, Arizona area.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/6-slick-bargains-from-the-2021-january-auctions/
24 REPLIES 24
js100
Intermediate Driver

The Starfire and the Grand Prix are easy to call, both painted in a version of "No Sale Blue", the opposite side of the color spectrum from "Resale Red". The Vette is sadly just in that used car wasteland, like the last of the Trans Am's, that were performance machines that just didn't stylistically age well. But, all three would be fun drivers at those prices.
Aquay_Mizmo
Intermediate Driver

I see lot of good deals on Grand Prix's. I believe this vintage has the longest hood of any car made.
DC
Intermediate Driver

A $44,000 Rambler drag car
w/Hurst badging....wrong
@ so many levels !
Studenorton
Instructor

I had a short ride in one once. Your attitude was a popular one, among drivers seen in its rear-view mirror!
Bettyemae
Intermediate Driver

DC ... one of these ‘Hurst badged Ramblers’ show up at my local ‘run what ya’ brung’ drag strip (with the window sticker still on it’) and proceeded to embarrass everything from a Boss 302 to a GTX. Nobody wanted to race it. Google it and find that it was more than a badged Rambler.
Rider79
Instructor

And yet, so right.
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

A next door neighbor brought a 1969 Gran Prix Model J in Verdoro Green, which IMMEDIATELY seized the attention of all us car crazy guys in the neighborhood! One day while parked at the curb, a drunk driver swerving to avoid it , clipped the tail end of a little girl's bike (breaking her hip), and ended up careening back across the street into a tree! The GP was summarily parked in the driveway after this dose of residential mayhem! 🙂
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

No surprise the majority of cars are GM. Or is that all you look at
Rgault
New Driver

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that GM, with 5 brands had about 50% of the market, with Chevrolet at 25% of the market, eh?
tahend
Detailer

I like all cars, GM, Ford, MOPAR and AMC. I would consider myself a GM guy. Others need to get over it. The reason for so many GM's is because they are the most popular among collectors.
Rider79
Instructor

As a person with GM, Mopar, and Ford collectibles all three, I have to agree - there seem to be more GM models and years that are collectible, at least from the 1950's on.
Jost
Intermediate Driver

I think that the Starfire ( under appreciated) and the Grand Prix are truely bought well. I am not sure but I do not think that to many Grand Prixs had the 428 and that makes it special. I am not up on Ramblers but is 55K a good value? Maybe but I do not know on that one. To me, good values is under 30 K. I would of included the eldo but even though they state it runs and drives, those cars are hard to work on and expensive to fix so could very well be a nice looking money pit. As always, I am not an authority by any means, just my opinion
MoparMan
Advanced Driver

That 69 Rambler seems just so simple and slick! The rarer 'B' paint scheme fits the car's lines so well, and are not as "loud" as the 'A' paint scheme. I really like it!! 🙂
Rob1
Instructor

Surprising even myself being into the late sixty's/seventy's muscle car era i find the 65 Olds a deal that i would gladly add to the garage there's just something about it and being a ragger tops it off cant be many of them on the road.Cheers R
allliberalsrcra
New Driver

I would go with the Starfire or the Eldorado
chrlsful
Instructor

bargain.../...auction. Do U see how these wrds don't go together?
Rider79
Instructor

No - having been to various types of auctions, from estate to farm to restaurant to real estate, they can - and often do - go together.
Rider79
Instructor

Mostly not huge bargains, but bargains nonetheless. I would have happily paid that for the Eldorado.
Phonedoctor
New Driver

I drove a 1969 Grand Prix SJ to college. Red with a white vinyl top and white interior. I check the auctions constantly and never find that combination. Man, would I love to see one of those again!
Kingfish
Pit Crew

The 65 olds what a great car for that price,I had a 65 delta small block best ride ever out of the 34 classics I’ve owned over the years
mwmyers91
Detailer

Looking at the Jag made me think of the AMC Pacer
Kingfish
Pit Crew

Testing
Kingfish
Pit Crew

T
Tim
Instructor

Most of these cars are auction bottom-feeders because they aren't really the most desirable. Their value rises when everything more desirable rises. Does anyone younger than a Baby Boomer even look twice at an old Starfire or the like? Other than to think, "Wow, that thing still runs!" But for GM shoving giant motors in everything, these wouldn't even catch the attention of a Baby Boomer.