cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 of the coolest speedos in production cars

The amount of importance put on how the exterior of a car looks is huge, and the driver is likely the owner who selected a car based on that outer appearance. However, when we drive we don’t get to see the outside. Instead, we’re left gazing through a clear windscreen with an occasional glance at the gauge cluster.

If you are less concerned with the outside appearance and more concerned with what you will see from the driver's seat, here are six cars that might be worth considering for your next purchase.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/6-of-the-coolest-speedos-in-production-cars/

Replies (94)

Replies (94)

The 66-67 Buick Riviera also had the rolling speedo... It is fun, if you accelerate fast enough, the speedo being a drum cannot keep up, then when you let off the gas it will bounce.  
Another great IP would be the 1990-1993 Buick Riviera, it was simple yet marvelous. 
Arguably even though it is new technology, the 2018+ Mustang Digital IP is noteworthy, easy to read, and you can change modes to have different looks depending on what mode you are in...

Pit Crew

The Chrysler speedo/instrument cluster is even better at night. It is lit with elctroluminescent lights. That is, the numbers, and the pointers, are coated with a paint that lights up when electric current is applied. So, at night, the numbers, and the pointers, are lit, hanging in darkness. Has to be seen to be appreciated.

Chrysler used these clusters for 3 years, 1960 - 62, in all their models. Only the F & G speedos went to 150, all others topped out at 120. The elctroluminescent lights needed high voltage AC current, so there was a device that made DC current into AC. Every year that device shrank in size. The first one, 1960, actually made a small noise.

New Driver

This was a horrible list. 59 Buick had a beautiful cluster.  Hell, so did the 58 Edsel with the spaceship speedo.  The author has no idea what a cool gauge cluster is. I suppose #7 in his list was a 2018 Ford Fusion?

Passenger

Can't believe you left out the waaay cool Lincoln tube of gel or whatever it was that oozed it's way across the dash as Dad stepped on it with that sweet 460 cid engine

Passenger

Unfortunately, you failed to mention the Buicks of the 1950's and 60's with their "ribbon" speedometer and turned dashboards. They were very attractive.

Pit Crew

my favorite speedo was a 55 chev with the small  chevy bow tie in the centre of the speedo ,,, as the high beam indicator light  ... that speedo was a classic design

Passenger

My favorite speedo was a 55 chev with the small chevy bow tie in the middle of the speedo ... as the high beam indicator ... that speedo was a classic design.

Passenger

I submit the very Euro-techy Stewart-Warner instrumentation of 1956-58 Studebaker Hawks. If I could attach a photo of my ‘56 Sky Hawk‘s instruments, I would...but...

New Driver

The 1961 Oldsmobile Super 88 had a speedometer somewhat like the 230SL it was horizontal and changed colors the faster you went. I think it did not change red until 60-70 MPH. My mother had it when I was growing up, it was a convertible. Beautiful car with plenty of power.

New Driver

My favorite is the ones in the 1960 Dodge Dart series. It was a thick piece of glass with the numbers etched in the back that sat up on top of the dash.  Absolutely beautiful with the sunlight (or moonlight) coming through.

Passenger

Love that 1960 Chrysler dash!

Intermediate Driver

How about a 67 Riviera?  The "toilet tube" speedometer.  Gota love it eh?  read the comments below.  Yeah you guys are right the speedos from the 50/60s were cool.  Wait a minute?  We're talking about speedometers right?  🙂

Passenger

The Olds and Tucker can't be seen so why include those images? The Vette speedo is ugly while lacking style with a simple digital readout and hard to read gauge. The article has an interesting concept but is only firing on three cylinders.

Passenger

Early '80's Aston Martin Lagonda

New Driver

How could all of these be listed ahead of the "cyclops" speedometer Studebaker introduced in 1956? The vertical needle was fixed in front of numbers on a revolving horizontal wheel. As with some of the others, the numbers vary in color from green to red. The unit is in a pod on top of the dash and the cable needs occasional lubrication after a few decades of use. 

Pit Crew

Got to wonder what you have been smoking.  You refer to the C4 as "comparatively unloved" and then praise one of the very things that made it "comparatively unloved".  A great many C4 owners call them Atari clusters.  True, some people think they look cool, but then, some people are idiots too.  When I bought my 84 C4 Z-51 three years ago, the first two things I replaced were that butt-ugly steering wheel, and that wonky, badly designed Atari cluster.  My cluster was a replacement, and still worked, so I sold it to a fool who thought that restoring a C4 to factory original made good financial sense.  I got $200 for that cluster.  I proceeded to build my own cluster from 1/4-inch Aluminum plate and a beautiful set of Marshall electronic-analog gauges.  Every C4 owner who has seen my cluster has raved about how nice it is, and they are right.  The factory cluster was bad from the day GM invented it.  In each successive year, they modified it, and modified it, and modified it until finally changing it out for the late-model C4 style, and even it was wonky.  Chevy never could get one right.  If anything, the late-model version "looked" better than that early version, but like I said, even they were failure prone.  There is a whole cottage industry of people rebuilding those Atari clusters, and they still fail.  In the last three years, I have spent a considerable amount of time and money undoing the idiotic ideas that Chevy's moronic engineers implemented in the C4.  My C4 is very close to what their C4 should have been if their engineers would have had any brains.  Thanks for giving me a great laugh!

Intermediate Driver

The Chrysler was the one I immediately thought of before I read the article.

Intermediate Driver

All speedometers should be round and analog.  Tachometers too.  

Pit Crew

Try looking at a 1966-67 BUICK RIVIERA. It had a dry speedo.

Passenger

Try looking at the 1966-67 BUICK RIVIERA. It had a drum speedo

Passenger

You guys missed my personal favorite, I called it the "Thermometer Speedometer", (say that 3 times fast), that adorned the dash of my aunt's 1965 T-Bird coupe, I thought that cockpit was the coolest thing I ever saw!  

Passenger

The late 40's, early 50's had tons of chrome.  I would pay $25,000 extra for a car if they had four things I miss.  A wiper switch (knob) on the dash,  a headlight dimmer switch located on the floor with a RED high beam indicator.  And finally, side vent windows.  They called the move away from those simple things, progress.  I call them automotive failure.

New Driver

The picture of the 300F Speedometer was the one of my Father's Cars. Black with a Tan Interior and those wonderful front seats that moved. My Mother thought it was a very pretty Chevrolet.........

I bought a '66 Toronado and remember the car and dash well. The car, an early version, had vacum operated headlight lids which, when driving at night, would fold back into the body at 60mph, apparently zero vacum. It was a Warranty issue and I had it fixed with a kit from the Olds Dealer. It was a monster car, enjoyed every minute of it with the exception of the gas bills, it was the only complaint my Father had about the 300F too but I remember him saying "I knew it

when I bought it." He wanted me to bring the Olds to him so we could find an empty space and have a go with those cars. Thank you Hagerty. For the memories.

Intermediate Driver

1949-1950 Nash Uniscope Gauge Cluster Pod!

Navigator

How do you not include the 1964-66 Thunderbirds?

New Driver

How did the 66-7 Charger not make this list. Probably the coolest looking dash at night.

https://images.app.goo.gl/sVJ5vei9tuBcM29i6

Passenger

The Chrysler astra-dome dash really is a marvel, it is most incredible at night when lit with the indirect lighting of the electro-luminescent gauges.  This dash was on all 1960-1962 Chryslers (Windsor, Newport, Saratoga, New Yorker, as well as 300).

The 1960 Plymouth dash is also very neat, but it is a totally different car than the 1958 Plymouth that was Christine.  Plymouth was all new for 1960, including the dash.

New Driver

1960 Chevy ooOoo.

New Driver

I was always partial to my '89 Mercury Cougar. Mercury always pushed the limits.

It was such a great driving car. Got 95k out of her and still sold for a nice buck.

New Driver

I agree that the list is lame, but seeing the 300F Speedo alone was worth the read.  

New Driver