cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 of the coolest speedos in production cars

The amount of importance put on how the exterior of a car looks is huge, and the driver is likely the owner who selected a car based on that outer appearance. However, when we drive we don’t get to see the outside. Instead, we’re left gazing through a clear windscreen with an occasional glance at the gauge cluster.

If you are less concerned with the outside appearance and more concerned with what you will see from the driver's seat, here are six cars that might be worth considering for your next purchase.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/6-of-the-coolest-speedos-in-production-cars/

Replies (94)

Replies (94)

This list is LAME! Nothing of note here except the 300F. C4 Corvette? Really? Apparently the people who came up with this list have never been anywhere near a car from the 50's.

New Driver

The ‘60 Olds speedo was much cooler than the Fury going from green to yellow to red as your speed increased 

Passenger

You missed out on the 1964-66 Ford Thunderbirds with the horizontal red-line thermometer look!

Navigator

Take a look at a '57 Studebaker speedo, digital before digital was a thing!  '56 was similar...

Navigator

Boeing didn't make the DC10  McDonald Douglas did

Passenger

1983 Mitsubishi Starion/Dodge Conquest speedo was awesome!  That is why I bought that car.

Passenger

1966 / 67 Charger needs to be on the list. Decades ahead of it's time.

The instrument panel consists of for round Bezels with six gauges. Besides the normal instruments, there is a standard 6000 RPM tachometer. All instruments are illuminated without the use of the 12V DC light bulbs as in other MOPARS. This system, known as Electroluminescent Lighting (EL) creates a soft uniform glow without objectionable intensity and glare. Light levels can be controlled in the usual manner with the headlight switch rheostat. 
Google it and be surprised 🙂

Passenger

I remember the plymouth and chrysler dash boards I owned a 60 Chrysler bought it just for the dash speedo which I thought was super cool, wish I still had that 25 dollar car, Guess that dates me, good to see it again, Bruce

New Driver

good thing you’re only talking dashes because that Doug Nash Monster Mash transmission was only slightly more useless than the Bosch pseudo-fuel injection borrowed from the last C3;

come to think of it, that dash was none-too-popular as well, particularly when it needed repair;

Pit Crew

My 67 Buick Riviera also had a Cylindrical Speedo I refered to it as the " Toilet paper roll" I dont know what the Largest graduation was I only saw 120 MPH. At that speed It floated Like it was in Flight.

New Driver

I vote for the elegant 1960 Chrysler dash. Beautiful and ergonomic. 

New Driver

I think it is kind of neat to see the 84-89 C4 dash mentioned. I had a 86 and I always thought the 84-89 digital dashes looked cool (especially at night) and were the best by far of any of the digital dash of that era. The tach was useless at WOT, though. The dash technology was too slow to update. The C4 didn't accelerate hard so the speedometer wasn't that big of deal.  The ZR-1 was supposed to be introduce in 1989 and was suppose to use a variation of that dash, fortunately by the next year they update the dash to use analog tach.

I think if you were young in the 80's, the 80's Atari dash is probably nostalgic. Other generations probably not so much.

New Driver

Funny that the C4's digital instrument cluster still used an analog odometer.

Pit Crew

I own a 1986 Nissan 300zx with the digital dash package.  It is noteworthy.  Also, my family owned a '57 Pontiac with a speedometer that showed a red bar moving to the right as speed increased. Pretty cool in those days 

Passenger

How about the citroen GS with its funky speedo ?

Passenger

This stuff all looks pretty chintzy compared to the speedo and other honest Stewart-Warner gauges that you will find in any Studebaker Hawk or Avanti.  I absolutely detest the phony space-age glitz in anything Chrysler made and the cheap-cheap Corvette stuff.  It's all superficial and plastic.  Give me the S-W real metal gauges any time, in a nice engine-turned simple dashboard layout.  Studebaker perfected the aircraft feel in a land-based missile.  And they had no problem keeping up with the big dogs when it came to performance...like reading the ascending arc on that 270-degree S-W speedo.

Passenger

I have a 1989 Corvette Convertible and like the speedo display. Assume bit technology from the C3 Vette. Mine works fine and is rather different when compared to other cars of that era. Normal Gauges are fine but the bar graph LED display is awesome on my 89 convertible Vette.

Pit Crew

My favorite is the 54-55 Oldmobile... CHROME CITY!  They lost their impact when they started going to ovals from circular instruments.  Just my opinion.  I gave up my '54 Super 88 "post" when I was drafted in 1966.  Really miss that car AND the times we had, back then.

Pit Crew

Almost anyone who has driven a mid 80s Corvette would never put that dash on a list like this, simply because they were such piles of utter garbage, looks be damned.  If you even breathed on it wrong, it would chirp, creak, break, or have something randomly fall off.  The cheapness of GM in their construction of these (and C4 interiors in general), and in their apparent lack of (or interest in) quality control during this time is difficult to surpass (although I'm sure they gave it all they had in trying...)  Gauge clusters are more than just their looks.  They are just as much about functionality and visibility as design.  One thing's for sure, they are NOT about sounding like a wooden pirate ship listing badly on its way to its imminent demise at the bottom of the ocean...

Pit Crew

I agree whole heartedly with most of the other posts.. you guys are getting desperate for content I guess.  OMG.. when I think of all the truly beautiful that have graced vehicles over the years, not a single one of these abortions would even be in the same book.  And those ugly-when-new-now-obsolete digital disasters have no place in any publication.

I recommend spending more than 20 minutes on an article before sending anything resembling this again!

New Driver

My all time favorite was my first car, a 47 Plymouth, whose speedometer read green from 0-30, then yellow from 31 to 50, and a glaring red from there on up!    Actually, that was probably a good idea, as driving that car faster than 50 was hazardous.

New Driver

The Chrysler 300 dome has to be the best ever.  When I saw the teaser mail message I thought to myself "I bet they didn't include the 300.  Nasty e-mail shall be written" but lo and behold, it was your leadoff.  Very cool.  My best bud in high school inherited his dad's 300 (and 6 mpg) and we had lots of cool memories in that car.  Thanks.  

Pit Crew

I have a C4 and I suppose the speedometer is OK with the ability to switch to metric, whoopie. I do remember the 60s Chrysler products and several were more interesting. The others listed were interesting but if I voted for the all time coolest speedometer, it would be the (fictional) speedometer on the (real) 427 Cobra that Shelby made for Bill Cosby. To quote Cosby's description in his skit, "200MPH", "the numbers started at 0 and went all the way up to 200MPH!. And there was still more room with the words, OH WOW!"

Intermediate Driver

If we are talking Dash, as opposed to just Speedometer.  Its pretty hard to beat the 64-66 Tbirds.  Like a plane cockpit including T switches not only to the front, buy from above as well.

New Driver

"...a dash that would look right at home in a Boeing DC-10"  Uh, not to nit-pick too much, but Boeing never built the DC-10.  "DC" stands for Douglas Corporation who later merged with McDonnell and wasn't purchased by Boeing until long after the DC-10 was retired.  I guess you could claim it as Boeing now, but that would be like calling a Rambler or Nash a Chrysler.  Just sayin'...

New Driver

I loved driving Hagerty's Plymouth Fury and watching the speedometer fill squares as I accelerated. Great design. Still pretty partial to the instrument panel on my '62 Thunderbird, though!

Hagerty Employee

1961 Buick speedometer. The speedometer was horizontal flat on the dash and refelcted in a mirror that was adjustable for the driver's viewing. 

New Driver

I would like to nominate the Subaru XT6 as an addition to this list. I would say it's eithet as cool or even cooler than the C4 dash. 

Passenger

It's a shame there weren't some decent photos of the speedos.  Glare, dirt and wide angle shots didn't do any of them any justice and that C4 corvette?  Where'd you find it; the wrecking yard?

Pit Crew

Can't beat the original Toronado. 

Altho the Plymouth Fury is one of the easiest to read.

Intermediate Driver