cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

6 of the coolest speedos in production cars

The amount of importance put on how the exterior of a car looks is huge, and the driver is likely the owner who selected a car based on that outer appearance. However, when we drive we don’t get to see the outside. Instead, we’re left gazing through a clear windscreen with an occasional glance at the gauge cluster.

If you are less concerned with the outside appearance and more concerned with what you will see from the driver's seat, here are six cars that might be worth considering for your next purchase.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/entertainment/6-of-the-coolest-speedos-in-production-cars/

124 REPLIES 124
New Driver

Take a look at a '57 Studebaker speedo, digital before digital was a thing!  '56 was similar...

Pit Crew

Thanks for the video's; Dad had a waterfall speedo in the (I think...) '68 Plymouth Fury III wagon, it was way cool even at the time. I've tried to explain this to my gang but never did a very good job. PS - one of my personal favorites is the simple white-on-black chrome ringed analog speedometers in '60's - 70's vintage Triumphs, set in a wood dash. This defines functional elegance.

New Driver

Mini Cooper's large speedometer is the center of the dash is one of the coolest

Pit Crew

I always loved the 1957-1958 Chrysler giant speedometers. 1964-1966 Thunderbird speedometers aren't too shabby either.

Passenger

60 olds dynamic 88 had a great Speedo

Passenger

Yes.  I had a one too.  Fun to watch the barrel speedo try to go all the way around.  140 mph I think .   Never got it that far though 

New Driver

1948 Cadillac speedo cluster is one of my favorites.   Anything digital, like the '84-'89 Corvette, etc., is doomed for failure sooner or later.  Good luck getting it repaired.  Boeing DC-10?? 

Pit Crew

We have a 1990 Buick Regal Gran Sport 2+2 Coupe. Grandpa's sporty car I'd guess 🙂 

Why we still have it is a story for another time.

It has the coolest digital LED dash! I wonder if it was among the first offered by the manufactures?

Pit Crew

Not quite sure how you leave out the 58 Edsel domed speedo. Not the easiest to read, but certainly unique.

New Driver

What about the 58 Edsel, the 66-69 Lincoln. Why are Ford products so often left out?