cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

6 of our favorite all-American brutes at Mecum's Muscle Car City Auction | Hagerty Media

As sad as Rick Treworgy is about selling off his lifelong collection of muscle cars, there are plenty of prospective buyers out there who are thrilled with the opportunity to own one.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/6-of-our-favorite-all-american-brutes-at-mecums-muscle-car-ci...
96 REPLIES 96
Russ1963Pontiac
Intermediate Driver

GM Chrysler Ford even AMC built some impressive muscle cars from this time period. The two cars I miss not keeping was a 1964 Falcon Sprint Convertible 260 4 speed and a 1970 Blue on Blue Pontiac Trans Am 455 HO 4 Speed. Out of this Collection I would probably go for the Impala Convertible as there is just something about a full size muscle car. I currently own 1 1963 Pontiac GP with 389 bored and stroked, balanced and blueprinted, tri power and 4 speed. Driving this car always puts me in a good mood.
surebusy36
New Driver

I was going to just erase this article but I wanted to say "I just wanted to erase this email". It does not cover all Muscle Cars just American Motor cars and....C3 corvettes Yuk.
topside
Detailer

Nice cars, but nothing in the article except the ZL1 jumps out at me. Anything with the broad name of "musclecars" surely has a few FoMoCo and several Chrysler products. Perhaps we'll see them in future articles ?
Redvette2
Intermediate Driver

Definitely either one of the C3 Corvettes with the Chevelle coming in third. Always been a Chevy guy so any of these will ring my bell. Go lottery numbers!
Dave404
Detailer

That '68 Chevelle must be really rare. I never heard of an option called "posit taction" 🙂
Sajeev
Community Manager

Me neither!  Fixing that now. 

Dave404
Detailer

You fixed your spelling error. That was fast!
BillE
Pit Crew

I visited the Muscle Car Museum in March 2020 and I can attest that the collection was of GM cars as per the owners Choice. Most of the comments I read missed the point of the article which was walking into the Museum and picking their favorite 6 cars on display. I would have picked the ZL1 and the other 5 would have been different then the authors.
Cool-isAmerican
Pit Crew

Seriously!!! Is the only stinking car manufacturing company General Motors!!! Enough already of GM stuff!!!!!!
WAB
Intermediate Driver

The museum that is being closed was owned by a gentleman who focused on GM Muscle....in Florida
JAG
Intermediate Driver

Yes, this is a GM muscle car article and should have been titled that way. The 02 ZL1 is an odd choice but is super rare and amazing they were even built. Just like the 92 Firehawks, were race cars for the street and they were priced accordingly. Like all American muscle they preform well above their cost.
sharkguy48
Intermediate Driver

As has been said so many times before, "The wanting is often better than the having." Most of these cars had drum brakes, no anti-lock braking systems, no stability controls, poor crush zones, carburetors instead of fuel injection, etc. We tend to dream fondly about Dad's car, the one that we almost bought or sold to soon, the neighbor down the street with what we thought was a great car. In reality, most were overweight, gas hungry, and slow by today's standards not to mention, demanding high maintenance and expensive insurance rates. While "collectors" seek these cars out to corner certain markets, true "car guys" will not buy them, wrap them in plastic, place them into garage storage and wait 20+ years to possibly make profits.
dooscoop32
Intermediate Driver

@acooper529
You wrote: "There is no question that the '58 Impala in the center of the first picture would be my pick. That looks like a somewhat rare stock color and I don't remember the exact name."

It is Rio Red.
PJJB
New Driver

This id going to be a fantastic auction here in Punta Gorda on Friday & Saturday! All at NO RESERVE!!!
RickB
Intermediate Driver

I guess your choices are Chevrolet or Chevrolet. Sadly there is no Mopar muscle in the group, Mopar, still under rated and the best value in muscle cars.
odom_p
Pit Crew

In September of 2020. I planned a road trip from Charleston, SC to Naples Fl. In that planning I scheduled stops at 4 or 5 Car Collections along the way. The one I wanted to see the most was Muscle Car City! It had been on my bucket list for some time. I've had my share of muscle cars..mostly Fords, but my 1970 GTO Coupe was my favorite. It had every option including the exhaust bypass valve. Nowadays I drive exoitc muscle - A 2007 Aston Martin Vantage coupe, putting out 440 hp. I was blown away with the depth and breath of Mr. Treworty's collection. I spent hours admiring those GM's...Glad I made it there. Best Wishes to all who are able to buy a dream.
ROBBO99
Intermediate Driver

" GTO "
bpar73
Intermediate Driver

'68 Impala Convert.
shoulderboards
Intermediate Driver

I noticed one minor error in the description of the 1968 Chevy Impala SS427. The SS427 package did not automatically include the L72 425hp version of the 427.
The hydraulic lifter L36, rated at 385 hp came in the SS427 package. The solid lifter L72 rated at 425 hp was a special order engine not even listed in the factory brochure of the day. Although, available in full-size Chevys from 1966-69, it was removed from mention in the 68 and 69 literature for unknown reasons. You had to know that it was still available for order. I have seen it installed in low line Bel Aire and Biscayne models although the Impalas are the more commonly found recipients of the mighty L72.
Sajeev
Community Manager

You are right, we are making that change now! 

Fairlane500
New Driver

If I could "have", meaning no cost to me, any of the above cars I would choose the Chevelle. Then I would run it in a demolition derby. Never understood the following of that generation Chevelle. It is, in my opinion, one of the ugliest cars GM made. Why isn't something along the lines of a 66 or 67 Charger on the list? Well, at least there isn't any Mustangs.
bemrfst
Intermediate Driver

NONE They are all GM products...LOL All nice.
Geok86
Advanced Driver

Reading responses here, is just as bad as Bring a Trailer....No one can be bothered to actually read the articles, before responding! This is about a gentleman’s collection of all GM vehicles being auctioned off....there are No Fords, Dodges, Plymouths, etc....SHEEESH!
Debx2
Intermediate Driver

Ok, before anybody else comments/complains about this article being ALL GM may I suggest you go back and read the title very carefully.
This article is about choosing 6 cars from a museum that is going on the auction block.
‘Muscle Car’ is in the name of the museum and apparently Mr Treworgy was a GM enthusiast. Therefore the options are limited to GM.
No warning of this was necessary on the part of the author.
I am known as a Ford guy from a Ford family but I have enjoyed owning many marquis including a ‘65 LeMans, ‘68 GTO, ‘48 Plymouth... Enjoy what this man was able to accomplish, morn his need to liquidate and if none of these suit your fancy, no comment is necessary!
leduced
Intermediate Driver

Still like the '63 split window....
hyperv6
Gearhead

I will have to go with the 68 SS Chevelle. I owned one that was one of the very first built with rare SS side marker lights. It had three options. 

Posi, tinted glass and AM radio. The car was purchased to street race the original owner told me. 

What I found interesting was it came from the same dealer my Fathers now Rare   Chevelle Concourse. My fathers car was sold 3 days before my car was and it was in the show room when my dads car was delivered. I was only 6 years old but I actually saw the SS I would later own years before I would own it. 

Small world.

Sk1959
Intermediate Driver

I’ve always liked the look of the Chevelles of this era. Sleek and sexy.
salsa96
Intermediate Driver

To the author,
Please be more careful when you write your titles of articles so that those too lazy to actually read them will not get their panties in a bunch. By the way, I like the 68 chevelle.
jrygg
Pit Crew

At what point in time did Pontiacs become known as "Ponchos"? We used to refer to them as Indians, but I never encountered the term Poncho until the past couple of years. It almost seems like a Mexican or South American term. I've owned a lot of Pontiacs over the years, but never ever referred to one as a Poncho.
leduced
Intermediate Driver

May have started in the Northeast, we have been calling them "Ponchos" since the late 70's.
Jost
Intermediate Driver

I've heard Pontiac referred to as ponchos since the 60s at least
daydreamerdav
Pit Crew

daydreamer I am 70 and live on the East coast and have never heard the term Ponchos must be a west coast term ?.
Jmullee
New Driver

That was a fantastic museum. Not all chevy but almost all GM. I believe I saw 1 or 2 non-GM.
Dave404
Detailer

Now that I'm done bugging Haggerty staff about typos they made, I would take the Impala. I'm well aware how rare and special the SS 427 package was compared to just an SS with a 427. One car I've always wanted was a '69 Impala SS 427 hardtop with 4 speed.

Jost
Intermediate Driver

I would want the 2002 camaro as zl1. I've never seen one, and you get that incredible exclusivity with a modern car,.
Zephyr
Instructor

The only chevy I would even consider is a 1959 Impala convertible with a 409 and 4 speed.
petersalt
Intermediate Driver

You'd have to create it, since the 409 W-Block was first
produced in 1961 ..
chrlsful
Instructor

I was really not into them (muscle) back then and I was 'of that time' (teens/twenties in mid/late 60s) but for some reason alfas, fiats, some of the Brit's were for me. And I wrenched on '50s/60s models affordable to a kid (had to - to restore/get drivin). I DID like a friends stang fastback as he permanently flipped dwn the rear seat & we installed his 8-track right there. "Ahhh, now a 2 seater like I'm used to." I thought.

More recently (my late 60's) I DO like the ones that have the handling characteristics improved (R&P steering, frame stiffeners, lowered, modern shocks, etc). Would like to do similar to a fox wagon or '60/4 'round body' chero. Can't afford those Gulietta Spyder Veloces or the '59 Abarth 750GT Zagatos any more. Glad I went for it when I could even if the buddies laughed at me. They were admired by the more interesting girls and oh whata ride...
DC
Intermediate Driver

Folks, cars are from “Muscle Car City”. What brand would be featured than the manufacturer of most significant two engines (SBC,BBC) of the past 65 years ?
stevemqueen
Pit Crew

I'd take the Chevy convertible. Already a rare car before you look at the even rarer options it came with. Sweeeeeet!
Billthecat707
Detailer

As a Mopar guy I'd say none of the above, but I give Mr Treworgy credit for putting together a very nice collection of beautiful and rare GM vehicles. Even if the name of his facility is a little misleading, he did what we all try to do and collected what he enjoyed. Bravo.
KenJen
Pit Crew

I looked through this article several times and would have to say I do like GM products, but am sure not close-minded enough to say they are the "only car for me!" Since this group includes almost all convertibles and Vettes....well, I live in SW Oklahoma where in the summer it gets 100+ degrees, plus a lot of our summer days have wonderful 20-25 mph winds, I am not nor will I ever be interested in any convertible. That said, I also don't really care for the later model Camaro or the 68 Chevelle, I am inclined to react this way! There are a lot of vehicles from lots of brands, it's hard to come up with any of these as my "favorite?" Also, when it's mentioned in an article that a motor of any kind, displacement or brand is worth 6 figures! I am out of that picture completely, I can't even pay that kind of money for a home, much less a motor for a hot rod! Sorry Haggerty this article was an interesting read, but too much money here for my income! I do hope the auction goes well and the owner of all these cars gets what he wants and also the new owners get what they want as well.
fangit
New Driver

So they all happen to be GM Products?
jekirkbride
Intermediate Driver

The entire collection at Muscle Car City is GM. (Although I did see a Willys.)
So when you have to choose your favorites, you are limited to the General.
Rider79
Instructor

The Impala - special 427, 4-speed, and it is a RED CONVERTIBLE! As a lifetime fan of red cars, a 40+ year owner of convertibles, and someone who always wanted a "big block", this would be it. The others are nice, but do not "check all the boxes" like the Impala.
WAB
Intermediate Driver

The Impala SS 427 Convertible sold for $93,500...........I'll bet the acquisition and restoration costs far exceeded that.
TwoTires
New Driver

Great eye candy. Sold my old Buick after I rec'd several estimates on paint, rocker panel repair, and replacing the driver seat panel. Estimate was 5X more than I paid for the car. I love looking at them, but have little inspiration to own one anymore. Prices for an old guy have reached "Unobtanium". I replaced the Buick with an an '03 Thunderbird from a collection with 6K miles on it. Runs perfect, looks factory new and cost me less than the updates to the Buick. Still fun to look and dream!