cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

6 of our favorite all-American brutes at Mecum's Muscle Car City Auction | Hagerty Media

As sad as Rick Treworgy is about selling off his lifelong collection of muscle cars, there are plenty of prospective buyers out there who are thrilled with the opportunity to own one.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/6-of-our-favorite-all-american-brutes-at-mecums-muscle-car-ci...
96 REPLIES 96
Ajakeski
Intermediate Driver

The C8 in the foreground is the only one I would be interested in owning. Old cars are losing their appeal.
1966SS
New Driver

I’d take the GTO ....
Old cars are not losing they’re appeal to me .... I love my 1966 Chevelle L78 ....
cestor01
Intermediate Driver

Who cares?
Rich8
Intermediate Driver

then why are you on this site?

Obviously you do not appreciate the era, go back to your basement!
F360Spider
Detailer

If I could only pick one, it would be the '69 Vette convertible. Classic American Muscle. No other comments needed.
MMC
New Driver

EXACTLY !
DC
Intermediate Driver

Camaro s and
Corvettes are
“Muscle Cars”

Shame on Hagerty !
MisterTorgue
Intermediate Driver

@DC Dude, that is SUCH an old argument. It is an article from the Muscle Car City Museum. Not everyone is as pedantic, apparently not even the museum owner.

gfviperman
Detailer

Not One Mopar???
Bogus list !!!
427sc
Intermediate Driver

Dude, there isn't a Mopar product at this auction... It's all Government Motors.
MisterTorgue
Intermediate Driver

The entire collection is pretty much all GM, dunno how they could conjure one to talk about.

427sc
Intermediate Driver

Out of all of these tanks, I'd probably choose the ZL1 Vette simply because of the rarity of the motor and the likely quickness of that car.
Personally, out of all the old "factory original" muscle cars, I still dream of owning a '69-'70 Boss 429 Mustang.
WAB
Intermediate Driver

The car that I would pick is the 1968 Impala 427 SS convertible........I was glad to see that on your list as when I went through the lots on the internet this past weekend it was the one that was first on my list. I have always loved the look of the 68 Impala, both convertible and "fastback", one of the best of the many great 60's Impala's. My second choice did not make your list.....the 1969 Chevelle SS 396 / 375 in Lemans Blue.
shoulderboards
Intermediate Driver

The title of the article should read “ Six of our favorite GM brutes...”
Balocco
Pit Crew

That blue on the vette is stunning. Not my favorite color on cars but no one does blue better than Chevy. I’m a sucker for black on red and red on black so for me the Chevelle SS stands out.
monkee
Pit Crew

No MOPAR’s?
oldnasty1937
Pit Crew

I agree. MOPAR or no car.
JohnGalt
Pit Crew

Where is the 442? Roadrunner? GTX? Mustang? Gran Sport Stage I?
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

Chevy guys can't see anything but bow ties.
JohnGalt
Pit Crew

Oh, IMHO, if it made in this century it doesn't belong on this list.
25aniv
Intermediate Driver

Honestly, not really any here that do anything for me. Don't get me wrong all great cars just not my cup of tea. If i had to pick one it'd be the '68 Chevelle. Corvettes and convertibles are on my "meh" side but we all like different stuff and that's what makes it all fun!
phog
Pit Crew

Sometimes less is more, and I like sleepers. The GTO is glorious, no question, but my preference if GM is the only player in this game would be a lightweight and nimble '66 Corvair Corsa. My sentimental fave would be a little '64 Barracuda with a 4 barrel, high compression 273.
tahend
Detailer

Know one gets more offended by everything than MOPAR guys. We get it, no other car matters.
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

IMO you got it backwards
Exsanguinator
Intermediate Driver

matters car no other, or, srettam rac rehto on.
Rob1
Instructor

My first choice is a car that was in my past as a close friend of mine had one and we cruised the streets for hours on end the 66Goat would be a blast from the past to me,if I could have another it would be the 427 Impala.Cheers R
SGL
Pit Crew

One token Pontiac and a bunch of shivvy. No Buick GS. No Olds 442. No Torino. No ROADRUNNER for Pete’s sake! What a waste of electrons that article was.
Russ1963Pontiac
Intermediate Driver

Everyone has their favorites. My taste run with this collection. I have had a few muscle cars but no mopars. I like the style of GM and Ford much better. Not putting down mopars their just not my taste. I wish I would have had this guys foresight and kept a few I had. Oh well such is life.
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

I guess I'm not the only one that feels that way. No Fords either.
Mike_E_V
Detailer

Very limited selection. IF these were the only choices I would have to go with the SS 427 convert. Pretty close to the SS 427 66 Caprice i would really like. All time fav? 65 Buick Riviera GS.

GRP_Photo
Instructor

The mechanic at the gas station where I worked in the mid '60s had the hardtop version of that GTO. I loved it then and still do.
OkJustOneMore
Intermediate Driver

Mopar Baby aww yeah. Thats what im talkin bout ....Joe Dirt
Piper
Intermediate Driver

For me it would be the 1967 Goodwood Green big block Corvette parked next to the 1968 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible L89.
In my opinion the mid year Vettes are the most beautiful modern cars GM ever built.
Pete
Pit Crew

I'd take the '68 Chevelle. My buddy in college had a '69 L79 Chevelle, blue with a black vinyl top. It was a beast and we had a blast in that thing.

Since the first car I ever bought was a '73 L82 Vette (dark blue metallic coupe), I would have opted for one of the 'Vettes if they were coupes.

The article didn't say why the guy is selling his collection. It must be heart-breaking for him. Hope it's not a health issue.

Regarding the top picture, I wonder how much time was spent by a museum volunteer getting all those cars lined up so that the hoods, when photographed from that angle, formed an absolutely perfect straight line?!?
Postie-13
Pit Crew

Does it matter if this only GM products? Anyone would love to have any one of these classics, with the exception, in my mind, of the later model Camaro.
Envy makes the world go around, and this gentleman had the good fortune to be able to indulge.
Good for him!
Due to lockdown, I won't be able to attend.
Tim
Instructor

A muscle car should be more than just a big engine. It should have the styling to go with it. Of the options presented here, the GTO and the C3 Vettes make the short list. Get the ZL1 if you're a bachelor or like riding solo or the L89 if you have a lady that doesn't like getting burned on side pipes. 🙂
TinCanSailor
Intermediate Driver

For 13 years I owned a 68 Impala SS427 Convertible with a 4 speed transmission, and a 12 bolt rear. I sold it about 20 years ago when I moved to a home without sufficient garage space (a situation since rectified). I had no idea it was a 1 of 200 car... although it did garner a lot of attention at local and regional car shows.

When thoughts of 'the one that got away' come up, of all the 40 or so cars I have owned, this is the one I put at the top of the list. Even more now that I know of its rarity! Thanks for the article and the memories.
DMDeLuka
Pit Crew

No 1965 Chev Chevelle? Also agree with the Mopar guys. My choice of course would be my 1968 Dodge Charger 440 R/T B5 blue.
77GL
Intermediate Driver

Chevy's are common?
63Avanti
Pit Crew

Nothing that I have driven matches the excitement and the background story of the development of the Studebaker Avanti. Even my base R1 still is accelerating at 125. The R2 and R3 at over 170 were the fastest cars stock from a dealer showroom in 62 and 63. Advertised as The Most Advanced Car in America. It was the first that all were made with front dish brakes, a roll bar construction, front seat belts and padded recessed controls for safety.
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

Well said
acooper529
Intermediate Driver

This is too easy for me. There is no question that the '58 Impala in the center of the first picture would be my pick. That looks like a somewhat rare stock color and I don't remember the exact name. Not a fan of convertibles at all, but I actually tried to buy one of these at a show in Atlantic City many years ago. The '58 front end and grill is the biggest and best "smile" Chevy ever put on a car... IMHO. The potential for rust issues (maybe covered up?) finally won out in the decision to pass.

Wasn't it Hagerty who did the article on the Lady with the two white 1958's? If so, you should reprint that one, even in a short version. That's the good stuff we all need to see and read.
930Flachbau
Intermediate Driver

I'd pick the ZL1 'Vette. The limited production ZL1 engines, installed in whatever chassis, will always be desirable due to their scarcity. The engine with its rich Can-Am racing history were monsters on the track and well as the street. Not a fan of the "Mako" Corvettes, since they were, after 1971, horribly under powered and rattle traps.

RJMatt
Intermediate Driver

GM only? And even then not a good representation. The headline should have been a GM collection for sale.
The only car I kick myself for selling was my '66 442 convertible. Yeah, had an auto but it was still fast, and I used it for commuting to work every day.
This list is missing the Cuda 440 sixpack, Shelby GT500, Ford Torino, and a bunch of other great cars from the mid 60's.
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

The list is all GM don't you see the past trends to only Chevy in all the posts?
mags56
Pit Crew

Two observations:
1. With so many great choices the 2002 Camaro was a wasted pick. Completely uninteresting.
2. Can we get more pictures showing the beautiful rear ends of these cars?
WAB
Intermediate Driver

Go to the Mecum site and go through the lots.........most have many pictures and additional information.
jsfury
Intermediate Driver

Your tittle should have said, " ALL GM" Mecum's Muscle Car City Auction. That would have been more accurate.
97Cobra
Intermediate Driver

I thought Mecum sold other cars other than GM. or is GM the only cars you like? I notice the past trends lean to only Chevy in all the posts? There are other brands your customers drive.