cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

6 obscure car songs to liven up your next cruise | Hagerty Media

If you have fuel in your veins, chances are you've read articles about car songs. Heck, you've probably read one or two on this website! But generally they tend to be the same, old same-old that are overplayed at local car cruises.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/music/6-obscure-car-songs-to-liven-up-your-next-cruise/
237 REPLIES 237
Hudson
Pit Crew

I always have to be careful with 'One more Radar Lover Gone' because I have a tendency to speed! Not familiar with these, tho.
Tim
Instructor

That song is "Radar Love" by Golden Earring. Not exactly obscure, but a great driving song.
sclin10
Detailer

"I've been drivin' all night, my hands wet on the wheel..."
By the Dutch band who supposedly didn't speak a lick of English when they recorded this!
noah300g
Intermediate Driver

$1000 car is a great song.
Still443
Intermediate Driver

Plus "Radar Gun". The Bottle Rockets were great!
JerryM
New Driver

I just listened to all six.... now I know why they are obscure......I certainly won't be playing those in my ride anytime soon.
waltontx
New Driver

Lemans
Pit Crew

How can you miss The Clash and "Brand New Cadillac"..."...Balls to you baby, I ain't never looking back..." and "Diamond in the back" by Curtiss Mayfield...."..You may not drive a brand new Cadillac..."
nope
New Driver

Not Curtiss Mayfield and It's called "Be Thankful For What You Got"
RokemRonnie
Advanced Driver

"Be Thankful For What You Got" was written and recorded by William Devaughn .
Roundfender
Pit Crew

Let's no forget about "59 Volvo" by Vernon Green and the Medallions. Nice doo-wop sound with forgettable lyrics.

Note sure if links are allowed, but if so here it is on YouTube (and if not, Google "59 Volvo YouTube" and you will find it). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fm7sJSz77c
RJ
Intermediate Driver

Thanks for the link - I was struggling to remember the group's name. So-so tune but great subject matter.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

TOO Funny...

Love It!

You also pulled an Upset, and dialed the 'Wayback Machine' to 'Obscure Golden'...

gfviperman
Detailer

None of these should EVER be played again!!!!
Still443
Intermediate Driver

That's funny right there!
Tinkerah
Technician

Like all art, music is in the ear of the beholder and for my ears, the lyrics are wasted if the music doesn't hold up. So while I couldn't even get through most of them, I rather enjoyed 445 SD.
Rider79
Instructor

So, they should be on Jimmy Fallon's "Do not play" list, I guess? ;<)
dpatter7
Pit Crew

I like "Earl's Dead, Cadillac For Sale". A Jimmy Buffett tune from a few years ago. Inspired be a Eldorado Biarritz for sale on the Tamiami Trail.
Studenorton
Instructor

The Dixie Chicks would have had Earl in the trunk. Dennis ("John Deere Green") Linde wrote a cheap novel's worth of songs about Earl -- he really got around.
dpatter7
Pit Crew

Wonder if Dennis Linde was writing about Earl Schibe?  The Earl of "I'll paint any car for $29.00" fame.

ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

That's Earl SCHEIB, and it was $29.95...

They looked GREAT, for about 4mos in Black or Dark Colors, maybe 9-10mos in White or Lighter colors.  It was a great deal and business model, until the Paint itself was more than $29.95/gal...

laika
New Driver

So many to choose from. AMX by the Boss Martians made me want to get an AMX (or at least a Javelin):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ6avV9sVNA

And from my hot mix DJ days in the '80s, can't beat Patricia Harris's cover of "Heaven's in the Back Seat of My Cadillac":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1gzK7yXAH4
TheFlow
Pit Crew

Listened to the AMX song. Surprisingly good, better than the 6 suggested by Hagerty. I’ll have to play this when I show my “Dirty Blonde” (68 X code). Thanks for link.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Good Road Songs, both...

Would make me want to go hunt down an AMX or Javelin to race, but buy?

Not so much...

Now, the Harris version of 'Cadillac', that would make me want to find a back seat of a Cadillac...

Slot this tune for inclusion into the (eventual) remake of, "Car Wash"...

Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

How about "SS396" by Paul Revere and the Raiders? Flip side is "Corvair Baby".
Chevelle_man
Intermediate Driver

Free with every 1966 SS396....purchased from the dealership!
56gasser
Pit Crew

"Rev on the Redline" by Foreigner. Excellent street racing song. Opps, forgot this is an insurance site.
Studenorton
Instructor

That's like a safety film, compared to truck collectors' songs. "White Line Fever," Rhonda Vincent "Ridin' The Red Line," "Six Days on The Road," and about anything by Red Sovine -- why it's dangerous just to listen to them on your way to the show! Tucson to Tucumcari...
DT
Advanced Driver

Best Truck driving song ever, Willing by Linda Ronstadt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJHcD0kHTGk
RokemRonnie
Advanced Driver

The song is called Willin' and it was written by Lowell George of Little Feat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il9VFC6-Inw
Diego
Detailer

Interestingly, Little Feat did the song twice. I prefer the second version.

Olddavid
Pit Crew

I've missed Lowell for a long time. Time for "Fat Man in the Bathtub"
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

I won't say 'Best', but it gets a spot on the dash above the 8-track, instead of in the glovebox, console, or trunk...

Met her when she was dating George Lucas; he and I were in the Class of '84 SCCA School at Sears Point.  He drove a Sports 2, courtesy of Barbie Kuhn whose father's Construction Company sponsored her racing, and I had my Original '84 TA; still do...

Bullit
Intermediate Driver

56gasser, you just made me shoot coffee out my nose, Thanks alot! LOL 😂
Rider79
Instructor

Great song - with just the right hint of darkness in it. So unlike other Foreigner songs, lyrically speaking. And it has long inspired me to someday buy a car with "...400 horses tucked under the hood." Or, maybe more!
Jowillie
New Driver

I don't think the NightShadows are singing (bragging) about a "car" with his big, hot rod.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Ya' Think?

Mustang85
Pit Crew

Another slightly obscure auto related song is "65 Mustang" by Five For Fighting and a must for Mustang fans. In 1973, Tony Kosinec was a one hit wonder here in Canada with a song called "All Things Come from God".
HotRodGTO
Pit Crew

Definitely Obscure....
Kollector-Kevin
New Driver

What about "Mercury Blues" by Steve Miller? That's the best-est!! LOL
jonZ
Instructor

Just posted a note about the song on another topic (best song lyric?) I saw him perform it live at the Buffalo Chip in Sturgis in 05. Great song and artist.

HotRodGTO
Pit Crew

Better listen to the "The Hot Rod Song" again and see if it's appropriate for Hagerty.
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Title?

Sure...

Lyrics; Not So Much...

1946Chevy
New Driver

What about Beep, Beep by the Playmates. it is a lot of fun. Check it out on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enqNl7tdLR4
knucklebusted
Intermediate Driver

That was my favorite song when I was a kid. I was going to post it but see you beat me to it. Very cool song.
1946Chevy
New Driver

it must be our age.  I grew up in the 50s and 60s.

BigMikes
Pit Crew

Me to. The group the Playmates was a local (Waterbury) group. Fun tune!
ACE_Sonoma
Detailer

Who 'grew up' in the 50's and 60's?

;<{)

To quote the Great American Philosopher, Paul Kantner of 'Jefferson Airplane (Starship)', "Man, if you remember the 60's, Dude, you weren't there..."

Nowadays, that quote is attributed to many people, like Paul's band mate, Grace Slick, even Robin Williams, and others, but I believe Paul said it first, at least publicly...

DUB6
Gearhead

Not everyone who was alive in the '60s was stoned out of their minds like Jefferson Airplane members maybe were (Grace for sure).  I can vividly recall the day (at lunchtime at my Junior High) when JKF was killed.  I watched Ike's Interstate Freeway being built past my hometown.  I remember hearing (on my car radio) when MLK was assassinated.  I was in Vietnam and missed seeing the moon landing, but our Lt. told us about hearing it on the radio.  Oh, I grew up in the '50s and '60s for certain, and my mind still goes there sometimes.