cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty Employee

6 measuring tools you need in your garage

Measuring tools are the unsung heroes of most toolboxes, despite any jokes you’ve heard about how “real mechanics don’t use those.” However, the fact is that precision matters when doing things the right way and building something that will last. Whether fabricating from raw materials or making adjustments to an already assembled engine, here are six tools just about every home DIY enthusiast should have in their toolbox drawers.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/6-measuring-tools-you-need-in-your-garage/

40 REPLIES 40

Good eye. I'm updating the calipers description.
Instructor

During my earliest years in the skilled trades, the general rule was, "first time you need something new, borrow it and get the job done. Second time you need it, borrow it again, get verbally abused, then buy one ☺ Once you got your journeyman's card and a little overtime, when you need a new tool, borrow it if on the jobsite, then buy it on the way home. (that was when there were still actual stores)

You are correct. I guess I am just used to colloquially calling all measurement calipers Vernier calipers, but you are correct that what I have is not technically Verniers. I'm updating now

You are correct. I guess I am just used to colloquially calling all measurement calipers Vernier calipers, but you are correct that what I have is not technically Verniers. I'm updating now
New Driver

Excellent edit!

Pit Crew

I had the same problem with my digital calipers being dead when I left them unused for a while. I cut a round hole in the foam surrounding the tool as it sits in the protective case the size of the battery. I remove the battery and leave it in the foam. When I need the calipers I just install the battery. Shelf life of a coin cell is significant when not in the device. Works for me. 

Hagerty Employee

Angle gauge! 

Passenger

I have all 6 and more. What do I win?  😉

New Driver

Yup. Got 'em all....

New Driver

Here is a one-up on the thermometer. I have a FLIR display tool that works great at diagnosing mis-firing cylinders and other heat related problems. A little expensive, but cheaper than my car, and maybe not for everybody but nice to have.