cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 full-size alternatives to muscle cars

There are plenty of cars from the ‘60s and ‘70s that offer beautiful designs and gutsy power plants that don’t neatly fall into the muscle car category. We’ve even offered up some more affordable, mid-size alternatives to the typical muscle car. This time, let’s delve into some of my favorite full-size cars from the era that, while heavier than their drag-strip hero counterparts, brought some big V-8 power to bear. 

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/6-full-size-alternatives-to-muscle-cars/ 

Replies (67)

Replies (67)

I agree about the '70 Thunderbird.  I have never understood why there is so little love for the 4-seat Thunderbirds of ANY year.  It seems as though people just turned their backs on them after 1957.  I love the Square Birds, the Rocket (or Bullet) Birds, the Flair Birds, the Big Birds and all that followed.  I can't believe how little most of these cars sell for at auction.   And that's not because I'm a Ford man.  Because I'm not but I am an admirer of great automotive design and so many 4-seat T-Birds were just that!

Pit Crew

I would add to the list:

1959 Thunderbird 430 Convertible

1965 Riviera

1966 Thunderbird 428 Convertible

1967 Eldorado

1967 Riviera GS

1968 Toronado

1972 Riviera

All are readily available, potentially high performance and will turn heads at any car show.

Passenger

63-65 Buick Riviera.  Always will be!

Passenger

Great article, thank you. 

DCleland_2-1587924959793.png

You hear little about the 69 & 70 Wildcats. I was lucky enough to picked up a 69 Wildcat convertible off Kijiji about 5 yrs from a Buick collector who had posted the add a few minutes before that evening. Told the guy I'd drive the 4 hrs in the morning to buy the car just based on the pics and having a safety standard certified. Next day to hand the guy 10K Cdn and had my self a rare 1 of 2374 1969 Buick Wildcat convertibles with a strong running 360hp / 475 lb ft 430 big block that sounds amazing. It was a solid purchase and once appraised I learned it was worth 20K+. I realize the BF bfg tires were not available until into the 1970's but the T/As look great compared to the standard white walls. The original steering wheel is in the trunk and currently the Wildcat has one from a Skylark GS. Next is to change the wheel caps back to the original Wildcat center caps. 

DCleland_0-1587923365169.png

DCleland_1-1587924913741.png

Passenger

A full-size muscle car or even a vintage car that gets little or no attention is a car that my father bought new. A 1965 Mercury Marauder 2 door hardtop 

bench seat and  factory 4 speed. I got my first speeding ticket in that car.  Joe S 1

Passenger

A guy in our town had a black 70 T-bird with the 429 and low profile tires on mag wheels. That was one badass looking car.

Pit Crew

DSCN3459.JPG

New Driver

I would add A Chevrolet Caprice 2 DR SS 396 with the Optional 375 HP. Great car and very quick for the weight. 

Passenger

Love those Wildcats!

Intermediate Driver

A 1966 as well as 1967 Thunderbird should qualify. No snails in this flock.

DB8054FA-7827-4DB4-B96F-847A30F07073.jpeg

Navigator

I have a 1969 Impala 427 SS

I would have thought it would have been at the top of the list.IMG_3264.jpgIMG_3871.jpg

Passenger

I'll throw one of my rides in the ring. I believe someone else has mentioned thus one as well. The '65 Galaxue 500xl. Plenty of room for whatever you decide to throw at it powerplantwise. And handles well to be such a big car.

My second would have to be my first ride: 1977 Ford LTDII. Mine was a stripper two door with the only power options being power steering and power disc brakes. The 400 Cleveland (The 400 was never a "modified". Only the 351m which shared the block and heads) really came to life with some port work, a little milling to get compression up, a mild cam, low rise intake, 4bbl, and dual exhaust. Made for a great sleeper, and showed many a more muscular car my tail lights in that one. 

Also any Cbody mopar. See the reasons for the 65 Galaxie for my reasons.

Advanced Driver

It's a shame that the big cars are over looked and motors pulled and junked I love land yachts as the owner of a 69 Catalina wouldn't trade it for gto 

Passenger

I would go the other way with the 61-63 smaller much lighter cars with good power.  The Corvairs, Lemans, F-85, falcon sprint, etc.  These cars are reasonably priced for the most part and offer a lot of style and fairly good performance.

New Driver

The 1960-1961 Dodge Darts and Polaras are often overlooked as being a muscle type vehicle, but with the standard 383 putting out 320 horsepower , and the Ram Induction 383 putting out 330 Horrsepower and 460 foot pounds of torque they certainly fall into the MUSCLE scene... below is my Unrestored/survivor 1961 Dodge Polara D500 with dual quad ram induction 383.... believed to be the only known survivor, and it has documentation back to its beginning (currently for sale)  polara back yard.jpgisca.jpgpolara rear.jpgtrain.jpgwater tower.jpg

Hagerty Employee

Does anybody even care about the cars from 1973 - 1977. I know they were heavy, and did not have the fastest engines, but they should get some love. I have a 1974 Chevy Malibu / Chevelle with a 454 engine, Posi Traction, 4 barrel w/ duel exhausts. When I go to shows, for every 5 to 6 1968 - 1972 Chevelles, mine is the only from generation three. It gets a lot of attention, probably due to it's oddity, but no one ever talks about these cars. My friends 1975 Olds Cutlass in Fire Engine Red, is an attention getter also. Please a little love !!! Thanks.

Navigator

Great pics   Love the AMC.... Got a chance to buy a 68 Olds  Delmont... stripped down fullsize 442, badasx looking car

New Driver

They forgot the Pontiac 2+2 full size with a 421 ci engine, buckets, console, etc. then there was the Impala SS (396, 427, 454) depending on the year. 

Navigator

I can't explain why, but only now, when I read these model names in a single article, do I recognize the greatness of these titles and the danger they imply: Fury. Marauder. Wildcat. Get out of the way Impala!

Intermediate Driver

I am restoring my uncle's 1969 Buick Electra 225 with a 430 in it. He bought it new in Aberdeen, Mississippi. He lived in Columbus, Mississippi. He had a friend who was a highway patrolman back then, and he raced him against his state trooper's car on an unopened stretch of new highway being built. The Buick smoked the state trooper's cruiser! The Electra is a four door hardtop muscle car for sure. Larry Bonds in Memphis, Tennessee

Passenger

All great choices to add to the list!  I have another, the 64-67 Pontiac 2+2. 

While I can certainly understand the appeal of the A-bodied cars, Pontiac made a point of offering bigger engines and manual transmissions in all their full size models including the Bonneville and Grand Prix.  But my favorite is the rare (only 1700 made)1967 2+2/428 hardtop in my driveway with the one-year-only type "87" fastback body and factory 8 lug Kelsey-Hayes wheels.  It keeps company with the 67 GP/428 next to it.

New Driver

Happy to see the Toronado made the list of belated add-ons

New Driver

Love the '69 Ford Galaxie 500 2-door, hidden headlights, and a big V8.  Sweet.

New Driver

I learned to drive in a 70 Pontiac Catalina with a 400 that smoked a lot of dad's tires.  I also had a 68 TBird 429 while my brother had a 70 Olds 442 with the 454 and a Hurst 4 speed.  Those were cheap high school cars back in the mid 70's.

Passenger

My dad had a 1964 Buick Wildcat 4-door hardtop. Top end was only 110 but it would leap out of the hole like a jack rabbit. I jumped a Z28 so bad his front bumper was right outside my window at the end. The second time he was ready for me. 🙂 Good times.

Pit Crew

And what about 66 Toronados??

385 hp and a 135 mph top speed plus a wonderful design and striking interior is not exactly chopped liver. Oh, and then there is the first front wheel drive since 1936 Cords 

Passenger

63 skylark 215 aluminum block v8.  It wasn't a full figured lady like these cars, but an unsung hero of the pre-muscle age.  Wish I still had mine from those days.   

New Driver

I count seven cars, not six

New Driver

And I had, not one, but TWO Fury's 😠 Had to let both go.

Pit Crew

I love my 1962 Buick Electra 225 4 door hardtop. 401 nailhead with aftermarket dual AFB's. Not fast but it's a very roomy cruiser.

New Driver