cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 cars you might be tempted to fill up while gas is cheap

Before it was the standard fuel for automobiles, in the 1880s, gasoline was a byproduct of lamp oil. In those days gasoline was something to be disposed of, rather than used. Times changed though, and soon this fuel source become one of the world’s most valuable commodities.

Now, with the current economic climate bringing oil prices into the negatives for the first time in history, prices at the pump are lower than they’ve been in decades. For those with a gas-guzzler in the garage, bargain-basement fuel prices might seem seriously appealing. So let’s dive into six cars for which, ordinarily, filling the tank (sigh, again) would make us cringe. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/6-cars-you-might-be-tempted-to-fill-up-while-gas-is-cheap/

Replies (14)

Replies (14)

My SL63 AMG 5.5 bi-turbo gets 11 mpg driving gingerly around town and 15-16 mpg on the highway. It loves it gasoline, but you don’t expect to be economical, you expect it to be a refined beast which it is. 

Passenger

'69 442 with 455 and 390's passes everything but a gas station! estimated 7-9 mpg but really it comes down to about a gal/hole shot...

Passenger

Filling the 44gallon tank on our Excursion is our version of a strategic oil reserve!

Passenger

373’s and a 4 speed. Check! 9-11 MPG all of the time!

New Driver

$1.27 a gallon here in Houston at the moment!

Hagerty Employee

Our 1991 Suburban is a half-ton, with the 350 TBI, and about 160,000 miles.  On the highway, fully loaded, it can still get 16-17 mpg.  Plenty good for a 5400 lb. squared-off vehicle, I'd say.

Intermediate Driver

My '41 Ford Pickup with SBC 355, Comp Cam, Holley 650 and T350 3 speed with 4.11 rear

gets 9 mpg on a good day, but I only count SPG (Smiles per gallon).

Passenger

For me, my 1978 Camaro Z28, auto with the factory 3:42 axle. Roughly 3000 rpm @ 60 mph. Gas mileage? Now, who cares. OK, I did care when I bought it new back in Feb./78, and the highway mileage if treated gently was about 18 -20 per Imp. gal. (so about 15 - 17 per US gal.)

New Driver

Yep, have filled my 1988 Suburban a couple of times this spring already.  So at $1.50 a gallon or $45 a fill up,  driving her doesn't hurt like in the days of $100 plus full ups!.  Oh, she gets about 13.49 mpg on a good day.

New Driver

MY 1966 MUSTANG GT with aluminum heads, intake and a 650 carb mange’s 12-15 if you are not getting on it hard all the time. The compromise is 3:00 gears with no overdrive. New gears means new OD transmission. New technology has made the old engines obsolete, but it is my time machine from the past. It is worth the poor MPGs. 

New Driver

We are excited in southern California since gas down to about $2.39 a gallon for regular. All four of my cars take 91 octane which runs about $2.79+ per gallon. The winner on emptying the tank the fastest is a 1957 Chevy Bel Air with a 350 CI and 700 R Trans.  Has a new Edelbrock  4 BBL carb, but still only get maximum 8 MPH.  If you jump on it , it is race between the gas gauge and the speedometer.  Lots of fun in Huntington Beach.

Passenger

Haven't been able to drive my C-7 ZO6 since November of last year when I was paying almost $4.00 per gallon for 93 octane.  100 octane was at $5.00 per gallon.

Passenger

My 8.1L powered Silverado reliably gets 8-9 MPG, but I haven't driven enough in the past month to need refueling. At $1.54/gal where I'm at, I might just top off on general principle. 

Intermediate Driver

2018 Jeep Trackhawk bored and stroked to 426 cubes running 16 lb's of boost. On a good day driving like grandma on the highway 16 mpg.

Passenger