cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

50 years later, Ford's Transit Supervan is still outrageous | Hagerty Media

In April 1971, Ford wowed the motoring world by unveiling a Transit van at the U.K.'s Brands Hatch Circuit. A race track is not the typical venue for a compact van, but this was no typical Transit. The Essex V-4 normally found under the van's short hood had been unceremoniously tossed aside; in its place sat, well, nothing.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/automotive-history/50-years-later-fords-transit-supervan-is-still-outr...
18 REPLIES 18
Rob1
Instructor

wow never had a clue such a van ever existed that's a great old clip thanks for the article.R
CJinSD
Advanced Driver

Prost driving Renault Espace F1 

There have been crazier vans.

KurtC
New Driver

Posting this on April 1st made me do a double-take. Just crazy enough to be a great April Fools joke. I had to look it up to see if this was legit. Always learning something new on Hagerty.
Beestly
Intermediate Driver

Never heard of this! Fun story. They must have left the stock ride height so that it looked like a factory van flying down the track. That thing handled atrociously for 1971 track standards. They should have dropped it off with Carol Shelby. He would have had 3” off the ground, eating for lunch, doing 0-60 in 4 seconds, and running 11 second et’s. 😄
Thrillseeker
Intermediate Driver

That joker sounds nasty. LOL Pretty cool hotrod, I'd drive it!
sharkguy48
Intermediate Driver

What really got me were the camera shots along the left (non-driver) side of the van during the track demonstration. Back then, there were no suction cup Go-Pro cameras. Look carefully and you can see that the camera moves back and forth indicating the photographer was hanging out of the van and holding the camera as steadily as possible. Gutsy!
Tinkerah
Technician

I noticed that too. Probably 16MM. Very gutsy indeed!
Alico87
Intermediate Driver

Very cool... Supervan 4 should be a transit connection with AWD and the PowerBoost drivetrain from the new F150
Alico87
Intermediate Driver

Transit Connect
drhino
Instructor

I can imagine Jay Leno thinking “we have to find that! I must have it!”
Tinkerah
Technician

For brief moments, BOTH inside tires off the ground!
Swamibob
Instructor

I NEEEEEEEEED One! That is too cool. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to come up here for the Summer Nationals car show.. Way too cool!
TonyT
Instructor

A Transit Connect with a Coyote! Oh, hell yeah!
Sajeev
Community Manager

That would be dangerous...awesomely dangerous. 

61Rampy
Advanced Driver

Has that ever stopped anybody before???
DRF
Intermediate Driver

What about the XJ220 based Transit that was shown on Top Gear. Also mid-engined but slightly better disquised.
Gary_Bechtold
Instructor

I was going to mention this. The XJ220 powered Transit was one of the greatest sneaky drag races they ever did. The Australians never saw it coming.
brb
Advanced Driver

Mr Bond, your van is ready.