cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 winter motorcycle projects to start thinking about now

Summer is prime time to sell off some of the junk in your garage. Or basement. That way, when winter arrives you can buy a project motorcycle or three (it happens) to store in that newfound space. We don’t all have heated garages, but rolling a two-wheeled machine right into your basement puts everyone on a level playing field. Let’s look at what options are out there now, so you can spend the dark months ahead working instead of shopping.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/5-winter-motorcycle-projects-to-start-thinking-about-now/

Replies (13)

Replies (13)

I had a 1993 CT70 that was a blat for me and the wife when wee lived in the woods. But the grandsons ran it nonstop almost for years. Never a problem with it.

Pit Crew

My first mini bike was a 1969 Honda 50. Blue I started riding 1970 5 years old that little mini bike never failed. Those little things would go and go. In 78 I moved over to three wheelers Honda 90cc. Lots of fun and miles of room when we left California moved to Albuquerque NM. After school I would ride all over the West Mesa with a friend. Next door to our neighborhood Al and Bobby Unser's Homes and Little Al who I met friend of my friend Chuck. We rode my Honda three wheeler chasing rabbits every now and then. Fun times 

Passenger

I was looking at these and the mini trail 70 in 2017.  Wanted to get something to tootle around town with.  I live in a small rural town.  After looking at the prices I sad no and looked new.  2017 Honda Grom.  125 cc.  Yes, it's a motorcycle, not a mini bike but the bang for the buck could not be beat.  Another $500 in options to make it look like a racer.  Total investment $3700.  Brand new, 124 mpg, fuel injected.  That's a lot of gas with the left-over money.

New Driver

I have a '72 Z50K2, Arguably the most desirable "50" in my garage. They are street legal and a footbrake , unique to that year... I have the owner's manual and it's a real garage find! Should I sell it????

Intermediate Driver

Sweet little bikes .

I began riding on a Tiddler 50 years ago and still love riding them ~ you cannot look macho or other foolishness on little bikes and yes, they still go as far as you want ~ I've ridden 47 year old Honda CT90's (& CM91's, CL90's, etc., etc.) to Death Valley and beyond then back to Lancaster, Ca, again many times over .

All these old Hondas are designed and built to be run wide open in top gear, as long as you like without any damage as long as you keep it properly maintained .

I'm going again in October with some like minded fools in the V.J.L.A., it'll be our 27th annual Death Valley Ride .

-Nate

New Driver

@ ZEPHYR 

No they are not. They do not meet height or HP requirements along with other features. The best use I have seen for these things is in the Pits at a race track. Your better off with a Moped which you can actually take somewhere. Street legal except on a highway. Only regular class C car license required.

Pit Crew

My first ride ever  on a  minibike was on a  childhood friends 77 Honda z50.  Convinced my Dad to buy me a XR75.  My first love wasnt a girl or car. It was being on 2 wheels.  Now 54 years old and 21 bikes later, still crave that freedom and yes there is a Honda in my garage. 

New Driver

I have a 1972  Harley Davidson "ShortSter" 55miles 65cc AMF made only 1year by Aermacchi  2 stroke 3 speed manual with clutch. Amazing mint condition in my toy  room has not been molested or restored, ultra rare

Passenger

3 outta 5 R 'leg burners'?

Intermediate Driver

What about the Yamaha mini it had a 50cc motor. 

Passenger

Interesting, not a word on the Honda ZB50. We have a fleet of 12 of them here in Ottawa On. Yes Shriners!  I think Honda had 250 pound middle aged kids in mind when they designed these bikes. 30 years of abuse and all still running well with exception of carb issues due to alcohol blended fuels. Well done Honda!

Passenger

Are these bikes street legal?

Detailer

Those prices are unreal!

Pit Crew