cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 unforgettable lessons my Honda CL90 taught me about motorcycles

Exactly 50 years after learning to ride on a red 1967 Honda CL90, I’ve come to realize that almost everything I really needed to know about motorcycles came through this humble 8-hp street scrambler. Flash back to June 1970 and America’s motorcycle boom was on. Honda’s CB750 Four had debuted, European and Japanese dirt bikes flooded ashore, and bike magazines hit the newsstands rapid-fire.

Months of appealing and pleading, backed by decent scholastics and a demonstrable work ethic sealed the deal. Dad steered me not toward a Hodaka or Yamaha, but Honda’s Scrambler 90—bought used for $200. In hindsight, no machine better matched this skinny 16-year-old. That bike took me 18,000 in 18 months, conferring a lifetime skillset.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/motorcycles/5-unforgettable-lessons-my-honda-cl90-taught-me-about-moto...

Replies (14)

Replies (14)

Thanks for the article, and great pictures. I also own a red , CL90 (1968) which I enjoyed restoring from a banged up wreck to a similar condition to yours.I actually owned a black 1965 Super 90 in 1967 which was my first bike. My other friends had small bike too, which we rode in the hills above our high school, as well as around town. We had a lot of fun on those bikes and I remember mine fondly. 

Passenger

I also started at a young age, 12 years old riding my dad's trail 55 Honda. My first bike was a Suzuki 120 I paid $200 for in 1970. I also did a LOT of "dumb" things, but survived so far. Now at 65 I'm riding my 1979 Yamaha XS11 SF, and have over 1 million miles on two wheels.

Pit Crew

My first real motorcycle was also a 1969 Honda CL-90 (had previously owned a lawn mower engine mini bike) I bought the Honda for $75 in 1972 the rear hub was trashed the rubber inserts for the cush drive had worn out causing the dividers in the hub to break I learned a lot about motorcycle repair and riding from that little Honda (little to me now) . 48 years later the love of and passion for motorcycles is still there!

Passenger

I wish I had started riding as a young man as you did. The knowledge of our invincibility as a teen will often allow for more of the "learning lessons" you described. Once  we gain age and supposedly the wisdom to not attempt the things you describe, the opportunity can be gone. I have wheelied and jumped bicycles, but have never intentionally done so on a motorcycle. At age 63, I have missed a lot, but am glad to still be riding!

New Driver

Awesome article and pictures from your past! As a young boy (11 or 12) 50 years ago I loved riding a little Honda motorcycle (don't recall model, only 2 speed I think?) around my uncles lawn. It was fast enough to learn on, and especially on wet grass it taught us how to and how not to turn quickly or speed in corners. As an adult I have owned several motorcycles mostly dirt bikes used just as pleasure rides. Still own my 1970 Kawasaki Big Horn.    

Pit Crew

Great article. Growing up I rode a 1968 Honda CT 70. 13-16 years of age. It represented freedom for me at that time. Then my car came. A new love.
The CT-70 sat for 20 years, then It came into my hands again....mice all through it. All I did was clean up the carb, and taped up the electrical lines and after about 5 kicks it started. My face,  I’m sure lite up again with pure pressure. I’m now teaching my 3 kids how to Ride and the Honda.  It just keeps going and going. Amazing. Thanks. 

Passenger

Fun article.  I started on a Yamaha DT2 at age 20.  Oh the lessons...

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."  - Will Rogers

Pit Crew

I started out with a Yamaha 60 and quickly graduated to a Honda 160 twin. About 1968 I crashed into an Olds  and nearly died. Since I have had close to 50 Motorcycles, all of them I have enjoyed for over Half a Million Miles. I loved hearing your story. Even in Old Age I still have a Modified 1200 Sportster. 

New Driver

My first bike at age 11 was a 73 Honda CT Trail 90

got it from my older brother when he moved up to a Honda XL-175

New Driver

Nice article. I too learned a ton from my early motorcycle experiences. When I was 12 I begged my Dad to let me buy the neighbor's Kawasaki 90. I remember pushing it home, not knowing anything about motorcycles, memorizing the owners manual, waiting semi-patiently for my Dad to buy oil, gas and a spark plug, getting it running for the first time, then figuring out how to make it go. I had some help from the neighbor kid I bought it from, but I didn't give up and learned to ride it, and take care of it. It was a ton of fun.

Pit Crew

It's amusing that we remember what our first ride cost so much clearer than our most recent...!

Intermediate Driver

Nn

New Driver

Folks used to joke, quoting the Honda advertising of the time, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda"- and the horniest hillbillies on a Harley.

Pit Crew

My dad had a similar mantra to yours: Ride like you're invisible. Forgoing the assumption that you're seen saved me quite a lot of road rash.