cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan
Hagerty Employee

5 trucks and SUVs that became more attainable in 2020

While the conversation around collector car and truck prices tends to focus on what’s trending up, we’re here to remind you that there are plenty of desirable machines out there that have, in fact, become more affordable in 2020. We appreciate trucks and 4x4s as much as we do cars, so we’ve searched through the Hagerty valuation data trove for five much-loved models from across the automotive spectrum. Each of these vehicles would make a fine addition to any stable ... 

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/5-trucks-and-suvs-that-became-more-attainable-in-2020/

26 REPLIES 26
Rick2
Detailer

I have owned a lot of old falcons, Mustangs and even a Ranchero So I have a soft spot for the Ranchero, Make mine a 1965 please. I test drove an SSR and while it was nice to cruise with the top down the cheap interior bits for the price they were asking put me off. A low mileage example should not have broken cupholders that are already sold out. 

Geok86
Advanced Driver

Good old GM, and their $h1t interiors.

67GrandPrix
Navigator

I think you meant the Oldsmobile Bravada, not the Silhouette. The Silhouette was a FWD minivan.

Geok86
Advanced Driver

You are correct.

chrlsful
Instructor

"attainable"? mid teens - 42K$? not for me. aaahahahaaa mine is mid 4 figures I daily and build up over a few yrs then sell at these prices~

gfviperman
Detailer

Yes, people will turn their heads away from the SSR!

Geok86
Advanced Driver

Wrong...anytime I’ve seen one on the road, or at a show, they always draw plenty of attention.

zinkracer
Passenger

Once Tom Cotter visited a guy in Michigan who had a nice Ranchero driver with a 289. Black with glass pack exhaust. I wanted it. Still do. 

Smokefoot55
Intermediate Driver

I would have bought an SSR if it were just a little different. First of all, no drop top. Secondly, a larger pickup bed. If the drop top were eliminated the bed could have been enlarged to utilize the space where the top is stored when it's down. After owning many convertibles I can no longer tolerate the wind noise with the top down. Additionally, what a cool pickup truck that would have made with a fixed roof and a six foot bed. Top it off with the LS2 and a 6 speed manual gearbox and that would be a keeper for me. 

40Ford
Detailer

You said; “This range of years for the Ford pickup, from ’37 to ’42, covers two separate vehicle generations that we track (1937–1939 and 1941–1942).”  

Where’s the 1940 Ford truck? A third generation? 

I’d like one to match my 1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe! 

DMcC
Intermediate Driver

Ford cars and pickups shared the same frame (with minor changes) 1935 to 1940 for cars and to 1941 for pickups.  Of course the sheet metal, cabs, grill, fenders, etc. largely differed for each year but they all sat on the same frame.  Beginning in 1941 for cars and 1942 for pickups, car and pickup frames differed.  The pickups 1942 to 1947 were the same except for trim changes and the F-1 pickup emerged in 1948.   Engines were largely the same famous V8 but 6-cylinder and even 4-cylinder were available in the late '30s and early '40s. 

JohninNC
Advanced Driver

Old 80's early 90's Datsun/ Nissan pickups, and old Mazda pickups keep catching my eye, and talk about affordable, many are under $5,000.  Of course you'll spend money fixing them but useful to have and give others a good smile at the stoplights.  Toyota prices, same era, are high.

PurelyPMD
Intermediate Driver

John, I've owned 5 WD21 Nissan Pathfinders and one D21 extra cab pickup in the last year and what you say is absolutely true - the same generation Toyota products are crazy high.  That said, I had two of the Pathys when new and went searching for them again - bought every good one I found.  Down to three WD21's currently, on my way to 1.

SilentBoy741
Advanced Driver

I'll give you $22,000 for the Land Cruiser.  $22,150 with the dog.

RickB
Pit Crew

I still can' understand why 60's MOPARS are still selling for 1/2 of Fords and Chevy cars.  Grab a 60-65' Coronet or Belvedere with a small block V-8  and pocket the money others are paying for Impalas, Galaxies, and other full size cars.  Great styling and plenty of interchangeable parts between Dodge and Plymouth. 

Geok86
Advanced Driver

Uh....this article is all about trucks that have declined in value over the last year.

RickB
Pit Crew

Guess a Toyota Land Cruiser and a Willys Jeep are trucks..........never knew this
HASCpres2019
Intermediate Driver

I've always loved Jeeps, and I've had four,an MB, a CJ5,a YJ and now a '99 TJ Sahara. The latest ,the TJ ,will likely be a keeper. It spent it's life in BC and Arizona, so, unlike most Jeeps here in the heart of road salt country ,this one is and will remain rust free. With it's soft top and half doors, it's the ultimate summer toy.

stevecobb45
Detailer

Toyota Land Cruiser, IMOPO, is just not something I could ever fall in love with. No surprise the prices are dropping. Buying one to relive your younger days is one thing but you if this is what you turned you on back then, don't expect it to light your fire today.

Redsil
Passenger

I still love my El Caminos. Presently have an 85. Still affordable.

2Classics95N72
Intermediate Driver

When I receive these emails from Hagerty that identify specific vehicles I always forward them to some of my "Car Friends" who either don't have classics or not Hagerty for coverage (sorry Hagerty) and I ask; "Ok, money is no object nor consideration, what one would you want"?  It's amazing the choices are based on "Age"; younger ones will take the somewhat "newer models", like in this group they would take the Chevy SSR; and us "Old Guys" would take the vintage 37-42 Pickup or (like me) the "they were cool when they came out" 60-65 Ford Ranchero, which was my pick.  Interesting how "age" directs one to their chosen "Classic", probably why the foreign late 80-90s are becoming what car guy/girls are buying and why Harley Davidson is just not selling like they use to.  Always enjoy the articles, especially during the untraditional times and add to that these "get's dark at 5pm and it's cold" Ohio winters.  Stay Safe, Stay Healthy, Stay SMART!

llawrence9
Intermediate Driver

At auction in Md in December  a primo 1987 dodge d 100 318 tf  no rust stalled at $1500.

First gen ram trucks can be had for a song. Power wagon versions too.

Gary
Pit Crew

And to think that I bought a brand new 1972 land cruiser for $3200. However I had it for a year and sold it for $3600. Thought I did good 

Caleb0
New Driver

Thank you, Hagerty on behalf of all of us for what you do! Glad to see my beloved El Camino was not on the down list, but I would love to also own a Ranchero. Perhaps if I did, I could put them in the garage together in the winter and I'd end up with the Crosley's version of the car/truck from the early '50's in the spring! See everyone in the Spring (if there's gas at the pumps)!
40Ford
Detailer

The only one actual “truck” on the list, the 1937-1942 Ford pickups.
I’ll be waiting for a listing of real trucks.
Highrider
Pit Crew

I bought a SSR new in 2006 , it has the 6.0 engine and is loaded. I only have 15k on the odometer and have no intentions of selling it. About the only negative is GM made sure parts would be " hard" to get. So my garage queen has a large " value" on it for that very reason.
I have also picked up spare parts ( ie windshield and interior parts that may wear out)
It is a fun truck and does command attention !
I was told by a collector that this is a modern version of a 63 split window corvette and with only 24k made and probably 1/4 already scrapped and another 1/2 either high mileage cars or radicalized, makes a stock low mile SSR a value and an investment down the road!