cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kyle

5 tips to keep your favorite car's fluids in top shape

The joy of driving is so easily interrupted by any number of problems; thankfully, the key to preventing many of those issues comes down to keeping the fluids in your car fresh. Though the liquids throughout your car vary widely according to their task, the process of changing each one is similar. We found a great tutorial by ChrisFix over on YouTube to help you change each important fluid in your car, but here are five extra tips to keep in mind as you go through the process.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/5-tips-to-keep-your-favorite-cars-fluids-in-top-s...

16 REPLIES 16
bblhed
Advanced Driver

I really liked the comment about every piece of dirt on the underside of your car coming off and heading straight for your eyes. I think that when working under a car anything within 20 feet tries to, and normally does, get onto your eyes even if you wear a SCUBA mask!

couvguy
Pit Crew

For collecting and recycling engine oil I have installed Fumoto valves in place of oil pan drain plugs. These industrial strength valves accept a plastic tube on their outlet end, allowing you to drain oil directly into a milk jug for recycling. They have a very positive locking feature to prevent inadvertent opening of the valve. Our area has curb-side recycling and requires fluids to be in milk jugs. The Fumoto valve eliminates the need for a catch pan, and the associated task of cleaning it. 

Sajeev
Community Manager

I just googled Fumoto...amazing! I need this! 

Kyle

I have heard about these Fumoto valves before but no one I know personally has installed or used one. I think I need to just go for it and get one!
Walter_mitty
New Driver

A friend and his son built a nice Miata engine and about a week later noticed a leak. The son said that it was not worth fixing and didn't bother to check it. The leak was from a loos oil pan drain bolt, and you can guess the rest of the story...

Rich
New Driver

My Miata was using a ton of oil too. Similar problem (bad drain plug sealing ring), but different result :).

Kyle

Ouch! Hopefully he only learns that lesson once....
Rich
New Driver

1. I do use a store-bought container for catching and recycling engine oil. BUT if you don't have one, cutting a big hole in the side of any rectangular, plastic gallon-sized (or bigger) fluid container (Washer fluid, coolant, motor oil....) makes it easy to catch the oil and use its spout to pour it into your newly-emptied motor oil container(s) for recycling. MAKE SURE the container is big enough to hold all the oil you will be draining, or use 2 and change them carefully as the oil is draining.

2. If your classic car does not have ABS, DOT 5 SILICONE brake fluid is the way to go! It is not hygroscopic, lasts for years without changing and keeps all your brake components rust free. DOT 5.1 IS NOT the same thing! 

Happy motoring! 

Kyle

Good tip on making your own catch pan!
FSC67
Passenger

Once again, the true condition of all of these fluid was not addressed. The video shows color as a measure of "good" and "bad" condition. Color is NOT and should NEVER be used as a proper comparison. In fact, it is not a legal way to show or recommend services. The only true and proper method to determine a fluid's true condition is by testing. There are two ways to do this; in lab tests, or a little known on-the-spot test that many dealerships and shops use called "Vital Fluid Analysis" from Fluid Rx Diagnostics. The reason you would want to use this test prior to exchange is two-fold. First, your fluid is overdue outside of the "mileage" recommendations. This depends on your driving conditions. If you exchange before it is needed, it is a waste of time and money and further strains environmental concerns.  

wesrr53
Passenger

Best video ever on fluid changes and importance of these changes.

mwmyers91
Detailer

If there is a leak, you need to find out where its coming from

before any decision to fix or noy fix is made. If you were bleeding

you better look as to how serious a plan you need to stop it.

Fluids are the life blood of the machine and a ounce of prevention

is worth a pound of cure.

1933ford
Intermediate Driver

This article has nothing to do with "to keep your favourite car.....in top shape". THIS ARTICLE CLEARLY SHOW THAT THE EDITOR OF THIS PUBLICATIONS EITHER CANNOT AFFORD PROFESSIONAL WRITERS OR MORE LIKELY ARE OF QUESTIONABLE INTELLIGENCE! 

audiobycarmine
Instructor

A bit harsh, don't you think? At least they didn't write: 

"clearly show(s) that the editor of this publication(s - no “s”- not plural.)

Kyle

Hello @1933ford. Happy to hear your voice. How could I have made this article more useful for you?

Rider79
Instructor

...huh?  That is pretty much EXACTLY what it is about.