cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 tips to keep rodents from colonizing your classic

With extra time spent at home, our vehicles spent more time than in quiet garages and peaceful driveways. Downtime spurred by social distancing practices and local shelter-at-home orders has bumped most folks out of the driver’s seat and onto the couch. The change has been so great that we’ve even seen improved air quality over urban areas from the reduced pollution. However, we’ve also seen less positive changes at a much smaller scale. For enterprising rodents, stationary vehicles pose a grand opportunity, and their increased rampages have caught the attention of dealerships, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/5-tips-to-keep-rodents-from-colonizing-your-class...

Replies (3)

Replies (3)

a half dozen barn cats that wander up near the house and in the garages do a great job of keeping the rodents away. However, I do have to keep cleaning the cat footprints off the cars. 

Pit Crew

Not having room to store the removed tires i set the car up on jack Stands. Once up i will soak cotton balls in peppermint oil and place them in Frame areas where they may nest, around wire looms. In the interior under the seats behind the dash, kick panels or any area where you may think the unwanted tenants would dwell.

Passenger

Had this problem myself and did quite a bit of investigation on the subject. Things that people claim work include lavender scented spray (I use "Rodent Defense," available online), a bar of Irish Spring soap stashed in the engine compartment, leaving a light on underneath the car, putting a motion activated light under the car, coyote urine (available online), and putting a tray of well-used cat litter under the car. I've used both the lavender spray and the cat litter solutions and they seem to work. Incidentally, the problem isn't limited to mice and rats; the big culprits in my area are skunks, squirrels, and possibly raccoons. Rabbits will also chew out big hunks of wire to use for nesting material. 

Detailer