cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 surprising results from the Raleigh Classic Car Auction

Last weekend’s Raleigh Classic Car Auction was full of special cars, but prior to the event we weren’t sure to what lengths buyers would go to fight over them. Turns out, a number of well-kept vehicles attracted serious bids. Here are some of the offerings that sold for more than their top-condition average values. Read the full article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/5-breakout-sales-from-the-raleigh-classic-car-auction/

Replies (22)

Replies (22)

My opinion, for what is worth:

These prices the unfortunate attempt to keep values, in general, inflated. Of course, reality reporting doesn't attract readers, because there is no sensationalism. To bad, because I feel that it scares the average buyer away.

Buy what you like, and enjoy what you can afford. Keep your head on your shoulders and smile wide as you enjoy whichever classic that you choose.

Keep safe: stay healthy!

New Driver

No, they don't make them like they used too. My son rented a 2019 Suburban to drive from Iowa to Virginia last year. All the bells you can think of including automatic running boards and who knows what else. So lets see, you have a 1990 Suburban that rides like a tank and would be lucky to get 10-12 mpg. So do you drive it or let it sit and look at it? By the way, the 19 Suburban got 24 mpg. No they don't make them like they used to.

New Driver

And sitting in my storage unit is a 1991 Special Edition Miata I bought for $800. It was parked next to a shop and my Miata radar is always on. A deer ran into the right front fender damaging it and the headlight bucket. The car's owner didn't want to fix it and the shop wanted it gone. I have all the replacement parts and I think it may be worth doing right by her now.

New Driver

"It makes sense; they just don’t make cars like they used to."

That makes me chuckle.  I remember how we would all kick the tires on the new '80s cars and lament the same thing.

Intermediate Driver

Did anybody see what the C4 Vettes were selling for at Mecum???  Holy smokes, cheap!  Low miles too.  Like $4,500-$6,500 for sweet looking rigs.  That's beater territory for a lot of eye appeal and 'good' performance. 

Intermediate Driver

These aren't 7 figure cars here, any chance folks are getting too hung up on the % and not on the actual money changing hands? 

Detailer

I'm sure that at the right auction you could get these kind of prices, but if you were to try to sell one in the normal private party "car parked on a vacant lot" sort of sale the Suburban, Datsun and Cadillac would all be selling for more like $2,500.

Detailer

3rd row seating in a late 80s or 90s Suburban isn’t rare. It was standard. Who researches this stuff??? 

Navigator

I will never be a future buyer of an ordinary vehicle at inflated prices. A 1990 Suburban was never a coveted vehicle when new. Makes me think I should hold onto my Ford Escape, as it could be worth $100k in 20+ years! 😂

Intermediate Driver

Those are some impressive prices. I should have brought my 1986 Corvette Conv with 7,800 miles on it there. I have the original tires wrapped in plastic in my garage and car is 100% original, except battery.

Passenger

I think I just saw that exact Eldorado going down I-475 in Flint, MI yesterday!  I saw this beautiful Eldo cruising up behind me and he passed me.  Same colors, the car was immaculate, and it had a temporary sticker in the rear window.   I had an 83 Riv, and my parents had an 84 & 85.  We loved those cars, reliable, nice driving.

Pit Crew

Nice cars....I bought a 96 Eldorado ETC with 50K miles and excellent condition for $10,500 a few months ago. I love it but haven't been able to register it yet due to DMV issues and lack of time. Some would say that I paid too much for it. I disagree. Northstar V-8, great original red paint; and they don't make 'em like that anymore.  !!!!!

Passenger

Can you tell us what the Studebakers sold for? Thanks.

Passenger

Adam, thanks for the update. Do you know what the 1963 Olds Cutlass sold for?

Passenger

Also at this auction, a 1989 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 convertible and 1989 Buick Century custom sold for over $7,500!! My take is that dealer buyers are over paying big time for NO RESERVE cars that can qualify as "used Cars". The new car market is slowing very fast. 

New Driver

I hate auctions...

- -Chad

Intermediate Driver

I left a comment here hours ago, but it's yet to show up.  I can only conclude that Hagerty is now also filtering comments and they only publish the ones that agree with their agenda.  Time for me to unsubscribe and delete my account.   Goodbye.  

Passenger

Why some cars bring the prices they do just amazes me. I know you need at least two bidders who want a car of their dreams but I'm just wondering how some dreams defy logic. Beauty is in the eye they say but give me my 89 Indy Pace Car Special Edition Twentieth  Anniversary Turbo Trans Am. Only 1555 produced, only Trans Am with a 6 & the fastest Trans Am ever made (from PMD). Only car made in America faster that year was the twin turbo Callaway Corvette. When will this car be recognized as a true collector?

Pit Crew

The 3000GT was a VR4 Spyder. The price was kept down because it was an automatic. How do you write an article with so many factual inaccuracies? 

Passenger

The 1991 BRG is not the most coveted model. The 1993 limited Edition and the 1997 R Model (47 made) are more sought after.

New Driver

Except for the first one, they are all beautiful *cars*! Would be proud to  have any of them in my garage. 

Unless it is in the VR4 configuration, all 3000GT's and the Dodge Stealth cousins were transverse mounted V6 FWD configurations (the VR4, of course being AWD)...

Passenger