cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 hot hatches you can find for under $10,000

For the enthusiast on a budget, a hot hatch checks a lot of important boxes. It’s fun, but it’s also practical. Distinctive if you're in the know, and often affordable. It likes to be driven hard but doesn't gulp gas. Fortunately, these qualities are reflected in classic hot hatches just as they are in new ones.

Here in America we’ve often missed out on some of the best hot hatches from Europe and Japan, but if you’re looking for a vintage ride that you could take to an autocross then pack full of luggage for a weekend getaway, there are plenty of viable choices. We narrowed it down to three (well, technically five) hot hatches that can still be found in Good (#3) condition for four-figure prices.

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/5-hot-hatches-you-can-find-for-under-10000/

Replies (57)

Replies (57)

I guess I'm just getting or I am "Too Old" for some of these articles.  These "Picks" look like cars that I'd buy for my grandkids as a daily driver, newer style vehicle; they don't have any "Classic" appeal to me....but again, this coming from an "Old Classic (emphasis on Classic) Car Guy"

New Driver

No Justy?

New Driver

Im selling a well taken care of 88 CRX DX.  Heres a link.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/838446027/

Will do 6k for all.  Thanks.

Passenger

Front wheel drive = no thank you at any price in my book.

Pit Crew

02 Subaru WRX wagon! How could you forget one of the hottest of the world’s great hot hatches? 

New Driver

I've had a few in my lifetime, right now driving a 1st gen Mini Cooper and loving it! Out of this group I'd go with the GTI, but the real barn burner that's out of this price range...Renault R5 turbo:)

Navigator

You left out the Geo metro. A car worth remembering in my view

Passenger

I think this article is playing fast and loose with the definition of a hatchback. It takes more than having a rear hatch to make a car a hatchback. Is an V8 Vantage coupe a hatchback?

I don't think the CRX or the Eclipse/Talon/Laser should be on this list. And there are obvious omissions (particularly the Omni GLH).

Pit Crew

Hot hatches?  How about hot wagons?  Our 1974 VW Dasher diesel wagon would blow the doors off ... almost any parked car.  With 40 smoking hot horsepower and a 4-spd manual tranny, it was a blast to take into the nearby Santa Cruz Mountains.  Going up hill, it wasn't too good, but coming back down it built up some fine momentum.  We drove it from the San Francisco Bay Area to Vancouver, Canada one summer, packed with two adults, two kids and a load of camping gear.  On the top, we tied our large canoe.  On the straight, flat parts of Interstate 5, we could almost keep up with traffic.  Loved that car.  Should have turbo'd it.  It could have used another 20 hp.

Passenger

A Renault/AMC Encore!

New Driver

You have to remember, most any of these cars were built to a price and all were designed to be used up and thrown away. A turbocharger may be great but are costly to replace and their lifelines are dependent on how well an owner maintained the vehicle which had turbochargers . Warranties protected the original owner, but how well did the original owners maintain their cars after warranty. Turbochargers were meant to be used, but many owners didn't follow recommended procedures for shutdown nor the types of oils to use. A turbocharger has moving parts and because of that, they WILL wear out, no matter what. An engine must be idled for awhile, if it has a turbocharger, before it is shut down. If an engine is shut down before temperatures have stabilized, the oil remaining in the turbocharger and it's oil supply and return lines will coke up and eventually cut off lubrication of the turbocharger. Premium motor oils were always the best to use, like Mobil 1 which was recommended, and today we have many great synthetic motor oils to choose from. 

Passenger

What about the six speed Pontiac Vibe GT that was made in the early 2000's?  They had high compression 1.8 liter motors and were kind of fun.

Passenger

i’ll take my m52 swapped compact !

Passenger

Not sure which of these hot hatches I'd have, except the fastest and easiest to make faster (in true hot hatch fashion) is definitely the AWD Talon or Eclipse. Also, the best Talon to have is 91-93, as these are the lighter first gen and no longer have the flip up headlights, also, the first Gen has a much stronger bottom end, so the more modern 2nd Gen cars often ended up getting 1st Gen motors swapped in!

Pit Crew

You missed the Mitsubishi Mirage GT from 1989.  Great car and as I recall, one of Car and Driver's top 10 picks for '89.  I owned one for 3 years and drove it as my business car.  My customers thought I was smart, getting a nice small economy car, but it was a fast little hatch.  Sure do not see many of those any more.

New Driver

No one is going to stick up for the Fiesta - unbelievable gas mileage, load it up like a small pick-up, earlier great front wheel drive snow handler - 

Passenger

BMW E36 318ti cars are well into this price range, and while not endowed with the six cylinder engines that were available in Europe (323ti), more than one enthusiast has dropped an E36 M3 motor into a ti.  It's a bolt-in, as the body was engineered to take the six cylinder engine.  The M3 nearly doubles the hatch's horsepower and at least triples the fun factor!  Even a "normal" E36 six cylinder engine is a nice hp improvement over the four. 

BMW blew it with their US marketing strategy on this model--it was billed as an "entry level" BMW; they built a Rabbit but never offered the GTI in the States.  

Yeah, well, I have been driving a cool little '89 Ford Probe hatchback, and find it comfortable, zippy, reliable and a real attention getter.

"What is that?"   A Probe, I reply.  "What's a Probe?"

It's actually a Mazda MX6 with a Ford-built body and interior.  Lots of cool features.  Not exactly a chick magnet, but then neither am I.

Passenger

It would have to be the VW Gti

Passenger

Is a Ferrari FF considered a station wagon?

Otherwise as another person here has said. A used Mini Cooper Countryman S is the answer. Same price. more car.

Pit Crew

Wake up fellas. The 2002-2006 Mini Cooper S is one of the most fun and well built cars in the under $10k bracket.  The engine is so overbuilt it can handle 300hp without any modification to the block.  There are many of us running north of 300 hp for daily drivers.  The fun factor and comfort of these cars is off the charts. 

Passenger

I'd add my 2003 Ford SVT Focus to this list as well.  It did autocross, daily commuting, moved my oldest daughter to college, numerous road trips and was a blast to drive while still being good on gas.  Better than both my current 2010 F-150 or my NA Miata.  If I had the room I'd seriously consider getting another one.

Passenger

First car was a Volkswagen Rabbit back in 1984, I am yet to own a less dependable vehicle. 

Navigator

I usually don't think of hot hatches as "classics", but they sure are fun!

Here's one that most people will groan at: Chrysler PT Cruiser. 51/49 weight distribution, watts linkage rear suspension, 600 hp on stock internals. We've had two, with one setup for road course racing and the other a loaded platinum edition with every option. So comfortable we take it on long trips, but does 13.5 @ 104mph on street tires.

New Driver

GLH?

New Driver

My 1st new car was a 1987 Honda CRX Si. That car was such a blast. I would love to have another CRX Si today (of any year model). It would make for a wonderful addition to the 2005 S2000 that I enjoy today. (Always a Honda fan!) 

Pit Crew

I would have thought that the Toyota Celica could make this list, quite baffling actually. 

Passenger