cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 hot convertibles up for grabs at Barrett-Jackson's July online sale

Summer is officially here, and there's no better way to enjoy the weather while social distancing is to get out and drive. Of course, a convertible is the obvious choice for the perfect summer cruiser. If your garage is lacking that perfect driver for those warm summer days, Barrett-Jackson has you covered.

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/auctions/five-hot-convertibles-up-for-grabs-at-barrett-jacksons-july-o...

Replies (16)

Replies (16)

As the owner of a 1965 Big Block (396 cu in) Red Corvette convertible, I can unequivocally say there are fewer cars out there that can attract more attraction that a big block corvette.  And a convertible is just icing on the cake.  My car had a great frame off restoration and it gets driven regularly.  Awesome sounding with the original factory side pipes and a really great cruiser.  (very popular at car show, as well).  Any mid-year Corvette (Coupe or Convertible) in good to great condition is most sought after by collectors.  Personally, I am partial to the convertibles and feel the convertible just enhances the driving experience.  Just my 2 cents worth...JAB

Pit Crew

Jaguars when properly sorted make excellent vehicles for long road trips.  I speak from experience several of my Jaguars on road trips in excess of 1,000 miles round trip with nary a problem.

Navigator

I think one of the funniest examples of the unreliability of British cars was on the TV series "Mad Men" a show about advertising executives.  On of the executives had been caught embezzling and decided to commit suicide in a new XKE Jaguar, for which the agency had the advertising contract.  After running a hose from the exhaust pipe into the cabin, you guessed it, the Jag wouldn't start!

Lt. Dan

Passenger

It's hard to beat the style of an XK150 both outside of and under the hood. However,I used to work at a British car dealership and even the British-born mechanics used to pull their hair out trying to keep the darn things tuned properly.

Pit Crew

Agree with speedraser-I've had the pleasure of owning 4 Jaguars.  I carefully followed recommended maintenance schedule and was rewarded by great reliability-3 of the 4 well over 100K each...no regrets only driving pleasure.  jaysjaunt

Passenger

Vipers are unbelievably crude machines.  Early models backfired when driven at less than 35mph, and later models were only slightly better.  Fit and finish was non-existent, creature comfort was lacking and they were dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced driver.  They were brutally fast, but only got 10-11mpg.  Most people were better off in a Corvette.  British cars were another story: poor build quality and high maintenance, some of which persists to this day.  I love the looks of E-Types and Bentley Continental GTs, but owning one is an exercise in frustration -- not to mention a constant drain on your wallet.

New Driver

I’ve owned many British cars — Aston Martin, Morgan and Jaguar — over many years, and I’ve gotten excellent service from them. I never understood the point of replacing the engine with a Ford or Chevy V8 — the British engines weren’t the problem, it was the electrics, most of which remained after an engine swap. Jaguar’s XK straight-6 is one of the world’s great engines, and I never had any problems with mine, or with the V12 in my E-type. They didn’t run hot, either. Actually, I’ve had little trouble with Lucas electrics in general. I’d love a Chevy V8 — in a C2 Corvette. 

New Driver

All very lovely; the problem with the low mileage sub-1000 mile garage queens (the Viper and the VW) is that you can't drive them without destroying value. If you cannot drive them, I don't see the point in having them, personally. 

New Driver

Could'nt go wrong with any of these

Pit Crew

If I had the $$, I would jump on Viper. When it came out in 90's I was in my late 20's and I was drooling all over it! I even went to a Dodge dealership and sat in a red one that was cordoned off in their showroom. The car is truly a work of art, inside and out.

Passenger

When will the next issue of the magazine be released?

New Driver

WOW... The tires on the Corvette made me laugh. What were they thinking...even in 67?

New Driver

The other joke, do you know why people love their British cars? The answer...because they need you.

Passenger

I got one...its for sale too...

New Driver

The only car on that list that even slightly interests me is the '67 Vette. Now that's a cool car.

Pit Crew

A Jaguar owner once told me "this is not a car for someone who has to be somewhere on time. Every morning when I turn the key I think - what will happen today?" 

Intermediate Driver