cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 ex-royal cars you could have bought and 2 you still can

What if that "one lady owner" was the Queen of England? Scour the auctions and you’ll be surprised at how regularly ex-royal cars come up for sale. It’s not just Rolls-Royces and Bentleys, either. In recent years Minis, Audis, Astons, Land Rovers and Humbers by royal appointment have all gone under the hammer.

Despite the regal provenance, these kings and queens of the road aren’t always that much more pricey than their equivalent, proletariat-driven cars. What better service history could you ask for than one which has served HRH?

Read the full article on Hagerty.com: https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/5-ex-royal-cars-you-could-have-bought-and-2-you-still-can/

Replies (4)

Replies (4)

You might be shocked, but remember that woman was a young and adventurous girl at one time and she decided that home was no place for her with a war going on so she became an ambulance driver for the Red Cross. The Queen is the only person in England to be allowed to drive on the street without a license. I have a feeling that she might have had a few lessons in defensive driving from pros as well. I will put it this way, I have a feeling that The Queen of England is probably a way above average driver.

Intermediate Driver

The most impressive thing I saw was on TV. 

The Queen used to drive herself often to where she needed to go. The show showed her going to visit her horses and she stopped to ask two hunters by the road side if they had any luck. They were shocked when the Large Land Rover stopped and the sweet older woman was the Queen. 

What impressed me is it was a stick shift and she rowed the gears well. 

Detailer

The “little incident” you refer to regarding the Duke of Edinburgh was when he pulled out onto a main road without stopping right into the path of a car travelling along the main highway and although he was uninjured the two women in the other car suffered broken bones - fortunately a baby in the rear was not harmed. He did not surrender his licence willingly but only after many public calls for him to be prosecuted, which most certainly would have been the likely outcome had it been anyone else. Giving up his licence was a sop to get both him and the reluctant police off the hook.

Pit Crew

I'm fortunate to have a 1991 Series III Daimler Double Six, the car is affectionately known as Lizzy as the Queen had one as well, which she drove with some regularity.  Jaguar Heritage Trust had that one too and before delivering it to the Queen Jaguar put 4000 Miles on it to make sure it was in good nick before the Queen got it.

New Driver