cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hagerty
Hagerty Employee

5 cars that won't make it to 2021 | Hagerty Media

All good things must come to an end. As 2020 draws to a close and a host of production lines come to a halt for good, here are five memorable machines that we sadly won't see in the new year. After six years on sale, the BMW i8 still manages to look like a car from the future.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/5-cars-wont-make-2021/
61 REPLIES 61
ppointer
Intermediate Driver

There is no crossover out there on which I would ever spend money.
2Classics95N72
Intermediate Driver

List of Cars that "Won't Make It" to 2021.
I'm not too sad, NONE OF THEM were in my "Considering to Buy" wheelhouse:

As I read the story on the BMW I noticed this statement: Some 20,465 owners were happy to put up with the artificial sounds from the engine

Just another reason why as of yet I just can't put my head around the "Electric Auto Movement" - "artificial sounds", man all that work we used to do to INCREASE the "Natural Sound" of those combustion engines; and now this - reminds me of putting "Baseball Cards" or "Balloons" on the spokes of our bicycles so they would sound like a motor cycle....?????
Bmike
Detailer

Probably should not have clothes-pinned that Bob Gibson rookie card to the front forks of my spider bike.
bkmcgraw62
Pit Crew

Ouch! Gibby will haunt you for doing that!
Guitar74
Gearhead

I wonder if anyone thinks about all the mining that has to take place to produce that batteries that power these things? Wouldn't that be just as bad, or more harmful to the environment than that "evil" "brash" "exciting" internal combustion engine? I will never be into the electric movement.

Jaguarman
Pit Crew

Since I really never see any of these anyway, how can I miss them? They'll live on as used exotics and in about 20 years maybe I can afford one.
F360Spider
Detailer

And... 2021 won't miss 'em either.
ski522
New Driver

Oh no, what are all these multimillionaire professional athletes going to waste their money on now?!?
avideo
Intermediate Driver

Not a single car will change my soon to be completed order for a Torch red C8 Corvette convertible!
RobertLLR
Intermediate Driver

Well several of these exotics are almost as ugly as the C8, so noting lost to the rest of us...
gfviperman
Detailer

it really is quite ugly ... too busy ... seems everybody at the table got to draw at least one line ...
Jim86
Pit Crew

Agreed. Looks like everybody at the table took a turn. One person draw a straight line, next person draw a curve(radius not important), and the next person draw an angle(include at least one each of a 30,45,60, and 90 degree). Please turn in the sheet when completed. Our IT and social media people will evaluate when completed.
smtguy
Intermediate Driver

Too bad there are no SUVs on this list. We could do with a few less of them.
Sk1959
Intermediate Driver

C’mon Hagerty. Give us articles that us “average Joe’s” can relate to, I would think we make up ninety-nine percent of your audience.
Jost
Intermediate Driver

Agreed! I am more concerned that Ford has discontinued the Fusion.  I am on my second one ( daily driver) and would of signed up for a third.  Very nicely priced, well equipped sedan with all wheel drive.  And, reliable.  Oh well, they don't matter. 

tmechanic
New Driver

The writer seems to have flunked basic geography. Drive from NY to Aspen, CO for a weekend of skiing and be back in NY on Monday morning? That's almost 2000 mi, one way.

TransAm-forever
Pit Crew

I was thinking the same thing.
greatscott73
Intermediate Driver

Good riddance to the FF/Lusso. Probably great to drive, buy painful to look at.
Tim
Instructor

The "Ferrari Foot" is one of Maranello's worst designs, and certainly the worst in its modern era. The car that made me wonder if the divorce from Pininfarina was the worst decision the factory had ever made.
markey1
New Driver

Why wasn’t the 2015-2020 Shelby GT350 included in this list?
BigDog
Pit Crew

I have to agree with SK 1959 in that too many of your articles are not for the rich but for the very, very rich.
A few articles for us average joe's would be welcome.
Tim
Instructor

The Morgan Plus 4/Four. Oof. A car that looked dated when it debuted in 1950, as it was basically a 15 year-old design then. Clearly meant for the self-named "Greatest Generation" with some Baby Boomers opting in based on childhood nostalgia. But sales to Gen X and beyond had to have been in numbers that a sloth could count. Any tears that would have been shed have long since been buried.
Jim86
Pit Crew

I was expecting to see the Impala and LaCrosse on that list. Just when they got the design half assed right, they discontinue them. Not everybody wants an SUV,CUV, XYZ, or what have you.
johncalia
New Driver

Technically I can’t say I’ll miss any of them since I’ve never owned any. Emotionally I’ll miss the Bentley’s engine. Six point seven five liters of raw power. There’s still replacement for displacement.
Bill
Detailer

no emotional losses there for me
DT
Detailer

I have had Ins. with Hagerty or 20 years and am just your Common Joe. How come 90% of your articles are about cars that I could never afford? No it's not jealousy. It's just that as a customer I would like some of the articles about cars I could afford and have some interest in. You seem to cater to the rich. Maybe I should go elsewhere ??
JSievers
Advanced Driver

The i8 will be missed for its technology and otherworldly design. The Rapide for its sheer beauty. The Mulsanne for its in-your-face opulence. The Ferrari for its everyday usability. And the Morgan for ... well, there will always being an England!
stevecobb45
Detailer

Loved the Rolls but when you can buy a Chrysler 300, that looks seriously like it, for a fraction of the cost, why would you buy the Rolls? How about American cars that got dropped? I'd be interested in an article about them (you know, GM, Ford Chrysler).
Rider79
Instructor

The 300? That brick-on-wheels with the squashed greenhouse hardly looks like the Bentley shown in this article.
wahip
Pit Crew

The Ferrari GTC4Lusso is the most lamented casualty. A unique machine designed for not just power, but sheer handling prowess gives way to a one-dimensional, top-heavy, generically-styled, glorified station wagon to satisfy the "follow the sheep" market mentality.
One of the auto mags should probably take the new crop of high-end SUVs to a track along with the sedans they replaced from the previous year and run some objective laps. Let's hope the bloated beasts don't hit any curbs mid-corner!
greenhue
Pit Crew

If I had the job of writing about cars for anyone, I would not write about how many cup holders rf cereal cubbies that the newest minivan has. I would hang out with the makers of cars I will never own, even if I win the lottery. I could not got to the dealer of any of these cars and say," the red one please." It seems as a fantasy for most of us to even see one of these cars let alone own one. I understand the anger of owners and that is why I don't go to the Ferrari boys coffee and cars anymore due to the fact they know nothing of what they drive except they bought the red one. Classics are classics for a reason and a nice 55 Chevy will always be better than any rich mans car.
Bob360
New Driver

The Lusso to me is by far the ugliest produced by Ferrari since the "clown lips" 365 GT4. No loss and good riddance.
jgwventura
New Driver

Better than the 308/328 doorstop concept.
Rider79
Instructor

I think perhaps there is a certain romance to "shooting brakes" that magazine writers often see - a romance that many of the rest of us miss. The Lusso isn't exactly ugly, but its styling seems awkward.
Fatcat32
Intermediate Driver

Can't say I will miss any of those. Not only are they out of reach for an old retired guy, but the technological aspect just doesn't do anything for me. I love the feel and sound of the machinery. I want that connection with the road that is masked by newer cars. I am a bit surprised that some respondents have taken issue with the heavy coverage of the late models, but really, to me Hagerty is the best thing that has happened to the collector car hobby. I love the articles by the owners of cars they have lovingly brought back to life, and the trials and tribulations they encountered. They are my kind of people. Maybe coverage of the current models would be best left to publications like Road & Track or Car and Driver. But I guess you know what your demographics are.
Rider79
Instructor

Personally, I enjoy both the old and the new.
Rider79
Instructor

Saw a Morgan at a car cruise once, and an i8 at a frozen custard stand. Both were impressive in their own way, and the owners (female, in the case of the Morgan) seemed quite enthusiastic about their cars, when I talked with them.
GrumpyOne
Pit Crew

The ONLY "exotic" car that I ever owned was a used 1963 Studebaker R-1 four speed from 1971 to 1989. I bought it from a guy in Narragansett, RI who had three Avantis of which was the near lowly base model in his stable. I was still a youngish "kid" at the time while he was nearing sixty yet was into motorcycles not to mention muzzle loader firearms.

I loved to drive that car spiritedly on curved hilly roads and always had the feeling, (like flying), that you simply became part of the machine. I also found the car that was happy with routine maintenance and remained extremely reliable for the entire time that I owned the car.

But those days are in the rear view mirror of life now and I am happy to drive on a daily basis an old 1998 Honda CRV with nearly a quarter of a million miles on the clock. My old car that is nearing the completion of a "freshening up" is a 1955 Studebaker President State sedan which will be the perfect old stodgy fun vehicle of what I now am...
JohnnyD
Intermediate Driver

I relate to your story, having bought Studebaker as daily drivers when I was 16 years old. My friends laughed until they rode along in either of my 2 sleek 53 Starliner Hardtops. My Lark convertible would launch quickly and overdrive transmission made great economy. Now my garage queen is a turquoise and creme color 55 Plymouth with the 270ci semi-hemi and surprisingly quick on straight aways.

Daily drivers in our family are two red orphaned sports sedan-like Chevy Cruze turbos and our second Chevy Volt. 36 mpg avg for Cruze and 800 mpg avg Volt. Can't believe GM is giving up on sedans! I love sedans with style.
Punk
Detailer

The Morgan update has been in the cards for a long time and was likely delayed by lack of capital. Now its here. None of the others really breaks my heart. I love pretty much all Astons and this one too, but the 4 door is a little bit of a stretch! LOL. The rest of the list are all ugly and ridiculously expensive.
Maestro1
Instructor

Sorry to see the Ferrari and the Morgan exit the stage; in design they are sort of the sublime to the ridiculous; I've had a Morgan, I can't remember what year, but I do remember it was cream with tan interior, absolutely wind in the face British Motoring. Wonderful. I think Ferraris are brilliant and extraordinary cars, I'm not thrilled with what I hear about servicing expense but I guess that's part of the price one pays. Thanks for this.
bpar73
Intermediate Driver

The fact that the old Big Three are basically on their way to ending sedan production saddens me more than the loss of any European exotics. I am guilty of owning SUVs, but still believe there is a place in the world for the Fusion and Impala.
ctaarman
Intermediate Driver

I can't believe the BMW i8 survived as long as it did, because it really does nothing very well. Fast? Not really. Great handling? Nope. Well then, it looks good so how about for taking weekend trips? No the driving range sucks.

Comes down to be an extremely expensive ride for getting your local groceries.
MARK400
Intermediate Driver

First off let me say this is a well written and informative article but I`m sure the average guy struggling to pay his bills and put his kids through school probably won`t miss them. Don`t get me wrong they are great cars but they really don`t pertain to 99% of car guys, you know the guys that actually change their own oil.
JGeske
Intermediate Driver

Although all of these will remain out of my reach, I must say, I will miss the stand out looks of the Bentley, the Ferrari, and the Morgan. I get these 3 are not for everyone, but they always struck a chord with me. Then again I am the nutjob that thinks the Rolls Royce Dawn is utter perfection, so there is that. Either way, these cars all bucked the norm of bland SUV/CUV vehicles that cover the roads today (or pickup trucks if you are in America), and for that reason alone are a shame to lose.
ve3hzz
Pit Crew

LESS of the UBER RICH toys and more of the Average Joe (or his successful cousin) obtainable cars..from all era's including the 90's etc. I think that appeals to more readers then this list does. Only 1 here I even give a rats patootie about is the Morgan...the rest...meh!!!!
IF it has wheels I'm into it!!
spoom
Technician

If I had the job of writing about cars for anyone...I wouldn't bother. With the menses of apparently 80%+ of Hagerty policy owners fully sychronized with Sad Sack's, there'd be no need. A lot of people can only afford one daily driver and no collector or second car of any kind, but at least they don't come here and **bleep** about it. It can't be easy to keep cranking out the volume of stories here on a budget that depends on policy rates being competitive, yet still able to subsidize these forums.
Jbee
New Driver

Ha ha!  Well there’s always the complainers no matter what.  I can’t afford one either, but I still like to look.

spoom
Technician

True. I almost ordered a book on aircraft carriers for my Kindle this morning, but then I started thinking that there's no way I'll ever be able to afford an aircraft carrier, so instead I wrote a nasty letter to the book's publisher. 😉