cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jeff
Hagerty Employee

5 aftermarket V-8 valve covers to spruce up that engine bay

When it comes to engines, I appreciate factory performance options that deliver outstanding power straight from the factory. However, that’s just a jumping-off point for hot-rodders and tuners, so I really love aftermarket speed parts. Valve covers themselves have a simple job: keep the oil inside and debris outside. Aside from providing more room for larger rockers or a stud girdle, they are almost totally cosmetic. Why not pick some that lend the right tone to your engine bay? Here are five of my favorite styles of aftermarket valve covers for domestic V-8 engines.

Read the entire article on Hagerty.com:

https://www.hagerty.com/media/lists/5-favorite-aftermarket-valve-covers/

27 REPLIES 27
Rockem
Intermediate Driver

Brodix sells a very good looking cover for small blocks.

chrlsful
Instructor

Truax
Pit Crew

Quality aftermarket valve covers tend to be built stronger,specially cast aluminum. These seem to torque better which allows them to seal better. And of course those decorative fins help  to dissipate heat a little more efficiently.  But they still look cool!

TimeFixers
Pit Crew

Or just save some money and spruce up some classic stock covers!

bruco1
Passenger

for us early Hemi hot rodders having Donovan covers makes a statement on the super wide heads

Tim
Instructor

Don't forget to save your factory valve covers if your car has any potential to have future value. 

avideo
Intermediate Driver

You missed out on showing the finned C2 Corvette Valve Covers used on the 327 Chevy engines. 

RA
New Driver

For Oldsmobile aftermarket, Rocket Racing sand cast aluminum valve covers are very nice.

Jeff_C
Pit Crew

When I bought my 79 Jaguar with a Chevy 305 it had aluminum valve covers.  The problem is that there is no oil filler provisions.  And there's not one on the engine either.  If your engine has the oil fill hole on the valve cover make sure you get a set with that feature or you'll be filling the oil through the PVC hole.

deckerbilt
Intermediate Driver

PCV

TonyT
Instructor

The Larsen Engineering two-piece rocker covers were eye candy for small block Chevy's. And the Rodeck 481 set for a big block told everyone that you were serious! Now, the cool thing is the fabricated type with "stack of dimes" weld beads.

1badass67
Passenger

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a valve cover manufacturerer that would make custom "personalized" covers!!!??? One would open his/her engine bay only to reveal "Customized

by

CONTRERAS"  (any first or last name)!!!

RickB
Intermediate Driver

I've been looking for some aftermarket "dress up" covers for my 2004 5.7 Liter Hemi, along with a cover for the intake.  Anyone know of a supplier? 

RickB
Intermediate Driver

I've been looking long and hard for aftermarket "dress up" valve covers for my 2004 5.7 Liter HEMI motor.  The factory shroud is nice but I sure would like to dress up the engine further.  Any suggestions?

Sajeev
Community Manager

There are several aftermarket vendors out there, here's just one of them. 

http://www.3rdstrikeperformance.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=93_5105_5140

Panamericano
New Driver

One of the coolest set of valve covers I have seen was on a replica with a Chevy small black.  Simple grey sheet metal cover, but with a little sticker saying,"TRACO".

Grumpy
Pit Crew

OK, so I got most of that stuff already but having 20K miles and about 10 years use on these finned aluminum items, I see lots of crud and staining going on in the dulled areas between in the valleys below the polished fins. I have used many different solvents and polishes plus varied methods to clean these areas with only marginal looking results. Does anyone out there know a good way to do this without removing these items for cleaning and getting a nice appearance afterward without spending all day to "Get 'er done" ? Grumpy's Ride" is not a trailered show car but a very presentable street rod which goes a whole bunch of places when my health and this virus will let us do so. Grumpy would sure like to have some help on this one because Grumpy's wife is getting tired of breaking her finger nails while doing it, lately. Thanks...

TonyT
Instructor

An 8-or-10 to 1 ratio of distilled water and pool acid (WEAR GLOVES AND GOGGLES!) in a squirt bottle and a small tire brush works great for me. Hit 'em with some Simichrome polish and they'll look nice!

Grumpy
Pit Crew

Thanks, Tomy T. I will giver a try and see if it will get 'er done. Grumpy, X USAC stock car builder & pit crew during the late '60s and early '70s.
ConfuciusRacing
Detailer

Buick Nail head covers, very pretty, 1963 Riv

F360Spider
Detailer

Groovy.

Kenwarren
Pit Crew

RickB, …… How do I break this to you. If your "HEMI'' has four valves per cylinder.....it's not a HEMI. It's a PENT ROOF combustion chamber...… and an advertising campaign from Chrysler. Apparently , real Hemi combustion chambers are dome shaped.... and I was corrected by an old fart standing beside me at a club meet looking at cylinder heads. Physics won't let you put four valves in a dome head , only two. 

If you want to see what your cylinder heads look like inside take a look outside your kitchen window at you sons tent in the backyard. 

Brandan
Hagerty Employee

All Gen III Hemi engines are still 2-valve.

Eldon454
Passenger

Any small block Chevy looks good with the old "Corvette" valve covers. Just my opinion 

KickStart
Pit Crew

For my ‘60 Corvette, the factory imperfect ribbed aluminum covers are a must. 
I’m not a fan of jewelry under the hood. An exposed engine is the exception. Even back in the day, I’ve always gone for the sleeper look, so the less showy the better (painted aluminum manifolds included). I tended to have rats before that became a “thing”. I liked understated; factory performance covers or plain die cast covers, not ribbed. Even fabricated covers at times. Rigid aluminum covers do a much better job at sealing things up. The older covers made in any fashion are usually thicker material. The stamped steel and aluminum covers nowadays are thin as all heck and have no place on a street engine. 

Jocko
Pit Crew

Cal Customs are indeed the best. Some of the "dress" OEMs are hard to beat too. Chevy big block chrome stockers are in my top 5. So much so, didn't want to give em up on my racer so used B&B valve cover risers to clear my roller cam valve train. I smoothed and blended them into the head area (engine was black) and all my fellow racers wondered how I cleared roller rockers with stock covers. I never told, and if I'm being really candid here that motor was actually slated for street racing. Nothing to fret when you see stock valve covers, right? 😉

Guitar74
Gearhead

I had some M/T valve covers on the 440 in my '69 Sport Satellite. Had the paint shop match the b5 blue, taped them off and painted the fins to match the car color.